Wiki Posts
Search

3 Tickets To Shanghai With Amex Points

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:46 am
Original Poster

3 Tickets To Shanghai With Amex Points

Hey guys and gals,

My mum has just informed me that we have close to 400,000 Amex points to spend and I was hoping to get my three roommates flights to Shanghai China during our winter break. I currently live in Columbia Missouri, but they'd likely being flying out of Chicago on Jan 2nd and return the 12th (Dates fairly flexible.)

I was playing with the Amex points feature ( I'm new to this travel hacking thing) and it appears to get them to Shanghai for free it would cost me 380,000 points. My dad is a platinum member so he gets the 20 percent rebate. I know paying with Amex points isn't always the most efficient method.

Ideally, I only want to use 200,000 or 250,000 points and then have them pay the rest of the fees (350-500 dollars each?) Any suggestions to the best way to go about this? What would be the best airlines to transfer the miles to?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
I think you are posting in the wrong forum; maybe this will be moved to one where you can get more help.

Before moving any miles, you may want to look at eligible airlines and see who has these award flights available. Once you move the miles, you'll be stuck.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:52 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
your ? is not re mr's.....moderator has been alerted....another forum will probably get you better info....good luck...

ps.... you want another classmate for the trip?....
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: Doing GS11, probably affiliated with every program out there
ok first of all, yes the post probably should be moved to amex mr forum. but here are some suggestions.

Transfer MR reward points to continental before Sep 30th. continental has direct flight from ORD (chicago O'Hare) to PVG (Shanghai Pudong) The reward needed per ticket is 65K so for 3 tickets you are looking at 195K miles (amex MR transfer to continental at 1:1 ratio). Or if you need 4 tickets, one for yourself? then it's another 65K. 260K total and I believe it's ~$100 or so for the fee (I just booked 2 award tickets for my parents last month :P). you are also allowed a stopover on the way so you can play with that on continental.com using multi-city routing. my parents flew out of MCO made a week long stop over in Calgary Canada then flew on to PVG which 65K miles each using continental's *A partners (united, air canada).
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:54 am

Currently you can get 50% Delta bonus miles for transferring to Delta. (or 40% rebates in Amex points)

Delta flight to China is generally 70,000 miles x 4 is 280,000miles.

So you can transfer 187K points to Delta(should be 280K miles)

or you can do 280K points to Delta and wait for the 40% rebates in couple months.

I think it might be quite tough to get 4 award seats for January since it's pretty busy early January. I just checked Delta for you, no low mileage award seat until January 9th.
I checked continental, there's some seat available but direct flight(none)
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: AA ExP
Don't transfer to DL, no way you'll find seats in Jan.

Transfer to CO. You'll prolly have to split up, some people go east, some west. If you're new to the game, I'd hire Gary or Ben to do the redemptions for you. It's gonna be tough to find seats on those dates.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: Doing GS11, probably affiliated with every program out there
I did a quick check on CO. 4 seats going out on Jan 3rd on Air Canada with connection in Toronto... not that bad right but it won't be a good stop over. too cold in the winter over there. maybe a trip to sunny CA on the way...
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips everyone! I don't need a ticket for myself as I'll already be with my family for a few weeks before. From what I see it's 120,000 points per person round trip yeah?

I'll keep looking!

Thanks again!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Think I can get everyone over there for 420k miles. Is there anyway I could just use 300k and pay the rest?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
If your goal is to miniminze points used, but don't care much about the extra taxes/fees, then you should transfer MR to BA. Then use BA miles to book on AA or CX. This way, RT is only 50K per person, but of course, you need to pay a large YQ.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Why not you just charge them a certain amount of money in exchange for the ticket? I'd be glad to be your roommate and go to China for a cheaper cost. They should appreciate your parent's willingness to get them tickets with their points. If I were your parents, I'd say "Are you drunk?".
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Aboundlessworld
From what I see it's 120,000 points per person round trip yeah?
65,000 per person round trip using CO miles.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Nevermind, user error....

As noted, CO is showing 65K availability for 1/1 or 1/3 - 1/12. You should grab those ASAP. The only challenge may be the points transfer if you haven't already established CO as a transfer partner. The actual transfer is typically near instantaneous from my experience with other partners.

Last edited by CPRich; Sep 14, 2011 at 10:13 am
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by jmw2323
65,000 per person round trip using CO miles.
Agreed! I just took a quick look online and OP could get three SaverPass tickets for Jan 1/Jan 12 on UA metal (outbound ORD-PVG nonstop, inbound PVG-LAX-ORD). Better act fast.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 1:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by allanfan
If your goal is to miniminze points used, but don't care much about the extra taxes/fees, then you should transfer MR to BA. Then use BA miles to book on AA or CX. This way, RT is only 50K per person, but of course, you need to pay a large YQ.
This is a good way to go. AA does not charge YQ on BA awards to China. Furthermore, ORD-PVG is a fairly easy redemption and LAX-PVG is a very easy redemption. Check availability before transferring, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.