FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   [Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1204440-targeted-no-fee-1st-yr-american-express-gold-card-75-000-bonus-reward-points-signup.html)

MaineFlyer16 Apr 11, 2011 2:12 pm

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Received this offer in the mail today for $500 spend within first three months. This offer is good until May 20, at least for me. It contains a unique RSVP code, but the bonus offer number is 5894. I have never had a traditional AMEX (only the Citi AA AMEX) so I am not sure how the RSVP thing works, but you may be able to call and ask if you can still get it. I had received a bunch of 50K offers via mail prior to this, but never pulled the trigger. I am thinking 75K is probably worth pulling the trigger on, even though I have recently signed up for Cap1, and both AA cards.

HoKo Apr 11, 2011 2:17 pm

Wow, that's big time. I would hop on that in a second if I got it

libuser Apr 11, 2011 2:17 pm

that offer was posted in another financial forum 2 days ago - public link available to anyone but was shortly thereafter taken down. Now everything is RSVP unfortunately...

efox Apr 11, 2011 2:20 pm

Definitely a great offer, better than BA imho. Wish I had got it.

sgb Apr 11, 2011 2:21 pm

My daughter, who is a college student with little income to her name, got that in the mail, with an RSVP code. What are the chances she will get rejected if she actually applies?

Also, is it a no-fee card, or only the first year fee-free? Her's said first year free, as far as I can recall.

wbl-mn-flyer Apr 11, 2011 2:21 pm

it's easily worth it, no questions asked. 75,000 is worth $750 in gift cards at common places like home depot, never mind ways to use those points which may you get several multiples of that amount in value.

sangria Apr 11, 2011 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by sgb (Post 16200031)
My daughter, who is a college student with little income to her name, got that in the mail, with an RSVP code. What are the chances she will get rejected if she actually applies?

I just finished school myself and have had the Platinum card throughout my time at the University of Minnesota. Then again, I took special care to build a sold credit history and read lots of flyertalk. All depends on what your daughter's credit score is and what kind of credit she has...

And yeah, my income was tiny too.

lwildernorva Apr 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Keep in mind that American Express has had several bonus offers with British Airways over the past year that allowed transfers of MR points to a BA Executive Club account. The last promo, expired as of April 1, gave a 40% bonus--105,000 BA miles. There's no guarantee this promo will return, but I suspect Amex will have similar offers for BA and other airline partners.

lwildernorva Apr 11, 2011 4:00 pm

Forgot to mention, since I'm not currently a Delta SkyMiles member, that Amex indeed has a 50% transfer bonus promotion for a first-time bonus transfer, as well as a structured 25% (for transfers up to 100,000 miles) and 40% (for transfers over 100,000 miles) transfer bonus for those who have previously made transfers going on with Delta right now.

RedRiver Apr 11, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm not planning on applying for the BA card until the first week of May, but if I get targeted for this in the meantime, I'll go for this instead.

leebryant Apr 11, 2011 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16 (Post 16199978)
Received this offer in the mail today for $500 spend within first three months. This offer is good until May 20, at least for me. It contains a unique RSVP code, but the bonus offer number is 5894. I have never had a traditional AMEX (only the Citi AA AMEX) so I am not sure how the RSVP thing works, but you may be able to call and ask if you can still get it. I had received a bunch of 50K offers via mail prior to this, but never pulled the trigger. I am thinking 75K is probably worth pulling the trigger on, even though I have recently signed up for Cap1, and both AA cards.

Wow! This is an amazing offer! Catch it if you can~~

ashprag Apr 11, 2011 6:27 pm

How to get RSVPs

Wow! I would love to get this offer. Any idea on to how to get yourself into their list of RSVP candidates?

johndoe123 Apr 11, 2011 7:37 pm

A bit off topic -- but how do you ever get offers in the mail? I've never received one for any credit card, yet have signed up for many offers on FT without issue.

dilvala Apr 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by libuser (Post 16200003)
that offer was posted in another financial forum 2 days ago - public link available to anyone but was shortly thereafter taken down. Now everything is RSVP unfortunately...

can anyone confirm fee free card?

most of them are first year .... could be huge if its not.

mlad1101 Apr 11, 2011 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by dilvala (Post 16201725)
can anyone confirm fee free card?

most of them are first year .... could be huge if its not.

They are obviously referring to the first year fee free aka fee waived.

MaineFlyer16 Apr 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by mlad1101 (Post 16201750)

Yes, just the first year is free. Sorry for not making that clear. As far as getting on RSVP lists, I have no idea. Other family members in my household also have been receiving the 50K ones, but I am the only one (so far) to get the 75K one. I am going to pull the trigger, 75,000 points is just too good to pass up!

mgmsteven Apr 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by mlad1101 (Post 16201750)

Yes, $175 fee is waived for the first year. I got this offer today and already applied and approved. I have been receiving Amex card offers at the rate of about one per week for about a year. This is the first one to offer enough points to make me bite.

luv2buynfly Apr 11, 2011 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by johndoe123 (Post 16201699)
A bit off topic -- but how do you ever get offers in the mail? I've never received one for any credit card, yet have signed up for many offers on FT without issue.

Even if I did get one in the mail, I wouldn't know it. I toss most junk mail without even opening it!
I can't wait until snail mail goes away...

echip Apr 11, 2011 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by RedRiver (Post 16201314)
I'm not planning on applying for the BA card until the first week of May, but if I get targeted for this in the meantime, I'll go for this instead.

BA charges $95 annual fee.
Amex annual fee is much more at $175, but waived first year.
I agreed if I have to pick one, the Amex is better.
But both offers are great.
Since BA is from Chase, and this one is from Amex.
So why not apply for both? :D

RedRiver Apr 12, 2011 5:13 am

Originally Posted by echip (Post 16202662)
BA charges $95 annual fee.
Amex annual fee is much more at $175, but waived first year.
I agreed if I have to pick one, the Amex is better.
But both offers are great.
Since BA is from Chase, and this one is from Amex.
So why not apply for both? :D

I've gotten 4 new CC's in the past couple months... 6 might be pushing it.

Ehh... Maybe not. :)

glennaa11 Apr 12, 2011 5:19 am

definitely a great deal. I got the 50K offer a couple of years ago...those point helped me get to Asia in C. Canceled the card several months later after transferring the points to Aeroplan.

Congrats!

UA Fan Apr 12, 2011 8:20 am

This is the best Amex offer I have ever seen.

bubb1 Apr 12, 2011 8:23 am

Great offer, I've seen up to 100k for plat but they don't waive the $450 fee. Take this offer! Amex transfers to so many programs that are otherwise difficult to get miles on without flying, e.g. Aeroplan. Nearly as good as SPG for airline partner transfers!

blitzu Apr 12, 2011 9:45 am

wow that blows, I just applied for the 10k sign on. I wish there was a link for me to try and get this offer instead.

NVGuy36 Apr 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Mrs. NVGuy36 got this offer in the mail the other day. Might just pull the trigger for her so we can see how best to use the points. I think hers is just a $500 spend requirement in the first 3 months and fee waived for first year.

Peace!

MrPink Apr 12, 2011 8:03 pm

My roommate didn't get a single one of these until he bought a car and got a car loan to go with it. I think it's pretty clear Ford and/or their lender sold his name to Amex. Meanwhile I've never gotten one of these despite (or because of?) having active amex accounts.

75k is pretty awesome though. I settled for the 25k that's hawked here and on amex's site :)

milesmomma Apr 12, 2011 11:21 pm

Great offer - Thinking....hmmm!!

I am thinking maybe I'll check my current SPG AMEX account and see if there are any offers in there or maybe I can email AMEX and inquire about the offer and if I would qualify since I already have one of their products. Worth a shot!
I'll report back if I have any luck.

echip Apr 12, 2011 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by MrPink (Post 16208181)
My roommate didn't get a single one of these until he bought a car and got a car loan to go with it. I think it's pretty clear Ford and/or their lender sold his name to Amex. Meanwhile I've never gotten one of these despite (or because of?) having active amex accounts.

75k is pretty awesome though. I settled for the 25k that's hawked here and on amex's site :)

I use to get tons of offers, but after I opted out of junk mail at OptOutPrescreen dot com,
no more credit cards offer since. Maybe it's time to opt back in again.

aap Apr 13, 2011 1:44 am

I did not receive this target offer but would definitely like to apply. Is there a telephone number or a URL to apply for this card?

thebat Apr 13, 2011 9:17 am

Great offer

The only ones I get are to upgrade my current Gold Card to Platinum. I get 50K points but a $450 fee, NOT waived. The math almost works for that offer, so I'd be all over this one. Good luck.

diclemeg Apr 13, 2011 10:18 am

In attempting to remove some public records on my credit report, Ive followed the advice of someone who said to "opt-out" and have recently done so. But I believe this would keep me from ever getting those great targeted CC offers, correct? Perhaps I should opt back in, because those offers are usually pre-approved, correct? So at least if a good deal comes along, I wont ever risk taking the credit pull without the approval.

o2bnzhongguo Apr 13, 2011 3:06 pm

Has anyone tried calling and telling them to use the 5894 offer code? It seems everyone who posts about receiving this mailing (here and milepoint) gets the same "unique" offer code. It would seem that everyone is targeted in the same way so maybe others could apply with the same code?

element7 Apr 13, 2011 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by o2bnzhongguo (Post 16213035)
Has anyone tried calling and telling them to use the 5894 offer code? It seems everyone who posts about receiving this mailing (here and milepoint) gets the same "unique" offer code. It would seem that everyone is targeted in the same way so maybe others could apply with the same code?

It's not offer code that is unique but RSVP code. Offer code is same for everybody.

thegreathabibi Apr 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Wow 75k points, most of us just settled for that 25k offer when the card first came out, if your talking about the premier rewards gold card that is. 750$ in gift cards thats a quality signup bonus for sure

just got a 50k offer on platinum, if they did at 75k on the platinum i would switch in a second

blitzu Apr 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Anyone have any luck finding a link to this offer online?

aubreyfromwheaton Apr 14, 2011 6:50 am

Data Point

There is a page on amex's site where you can view your offers, i think it was on their page where they show all their cards near the top right of the page.

No offers for me.

Called up to Amex asked for new accounts.

Said I saw offer online, may have thrown out the offer that was mailed etc.

They took my name and address. She didn't want to hear the bonus ID, but I said it anyway.

Said they have no offer for me. But if I see an offer online, i should just apply when i see it.

Then she offerred me a similar deal except 25k pts for 1k spend

said no thanks, have a good day.

will keep looking

Valveking Apr 14, 2011 7:48 am

Is this for the Premier Rewards gold card or the regular Amex gold?

aap Apr 14, 2011 9:29 am

Has anyone who did not receive this targeted email / mailer been able to successfully apply?

I called last night, and the CSR had no idea what I was talking about. This is an awesome deal, and don't want to pass it up.

lindsayw Apr 14, 2011 3:21 pm

A data point, in case it helps anyone else:

I received a targeted AmEx MR Gold card offer in the mail in mid-January, literally three weeks after getting approved for the Delta Gold AmEx. It was $500 minimum spend to receive 50,000 MR points, with the annual fee waived for a year. This was during the 50% Delta transfer period, so I got 75,000 miles and 25,000 were MQM. I seriously thought it was too good to be true, since everyone was freaking out about the platinum card being such a great deal! However, all of the appropriate miles have posted since then.

Prior to this, the only travel-related card I had was the Alaska Airlines Visa, and the Delta card was my first AmEx. I had never previously gotten any type of AmEx MR card offer in the mail, ever, and I have a good credit history/score (plus a mortgage, varied types of loans, a few credit cards, etc). Not sure if it was coincidence or not.

I'd be curious to see what the histories are of those receiving this targeted offer are.

blitzu Apr 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by aap (Post 16217294)
Has anyone who did not receive this targeted email / mailer been able to successfully apply?

I called last night, and the CSR had no idea what I was talking about. This is an awesome deal, and don't want to pass it up.

Customer Service won't help you out... they actually argued with me over it. Ask for a membership rewards rep and then talk to them. They were able to help me out and get this offer applied.