Best use of 110K Capital One points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of 110K Capital One points?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
What does that have anything to do with the current $900 Raffles Gift Card (Travel Card)?
Because it would (have been) useful to have $900 of "free money" to spend at the resort? With Maldives free stays you still have to budget $250/night just to eat. This would make the out-of-pocket more enticing.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by eknock007
Raffles GC's are no more.
And they are back, now at 64,500 miles each. Those who got in at 35K miles, congrats!
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:44 pm

Can I buy 100000 US Dividend miles on my capital one card and then ask them to consider this as a travel related charge and give me the credit.I have 210000 capital one miles.Is this possible.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thehimalayas
And they are back, now at 64,500 miles each. Those who got in at 35K miles, congrats!
Shoot. I was hoping to get them. I don't have enough miles yet and was trying to get enough spending up to get them. Fooey.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Darn and I already spent my $4500. Oh well 5 trips for two and free still is pretty good.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 5:43 pm

Ive read page after page but still a bit confused as to the best use of these points.
So Cap One says book air through their ultimate rewards and get 25% more bang for your points. I tried but failed to see where the bonus has been applied. Flights that I can find for 35000-50000 miles on the airlines themselves, they want 70,000 for on their site.
So wouldnt doing a 1:1 transfer to an airline such as continental make alot of sense? For instance I fly often from cincinnati to bangkok, and continental offers best availability and best points price at only 65,000 miles. So 65,000 points would have a value of around $1200 for me, since that would typically be the cost for this flight. Am I missing something, or for me wouldnt this be the best bang for my buck? All the hotels I stay in are cheapies that I pay cash for, so cant really use the points there, and dont see how that would be a better usage of points.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebestman36
Ive read page after page but still a bit confused as to the best use of these points.
So Cap One says book air through their ultimate rewards and get 25% more bang for your points. I tried but failed to see where the bonus has been applied. Flights that I can find for 35000-50000 miles on the airlines themselves, they want 70,000 for on their site.
So wouldnt doing a 1:1 transfer to an airline such as continental make alot of sense? For instance I fly often from cincinnati to bangkok, and continental offers best availability and best points price at only 65,000 miles. So 65,000 points would have a value of around $1200 for me, since that would typically be the cost for this flight. Am I missing something, or for me wouldnt this be the best bang for my buck? All the hotels I stay in are cheapies that I pay cash for, so cant really use the points there, and dont see how that would be a better usage of points.
Are you sure your card is the Venture card?

This thread is devoted to the Venture card redemption options, NOT other C1 cards which have a vastly different reward structure.

Venture card's miles can be used to offset travel expenses at straightly 1 mile = 1 penny ratio but you earn the C1 miles at a $1 spent earn 2 miles ratio so when redeemed for travel charges, it is a $0.02 per $1 spent.

A hotel stay is a TRAVEL activity and certainly can use points to offset the cost at the exact 1 mile = 1 penny ratio, redeemable within 90 days of the hotel stay. If you say you cant use your points, I am afraid you are talking about other types of C1 card.

Nobody here is using it to redeem for the airline tickets the way you talk about and again I believe that is for other C1 cards.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 27, 2011 at 7:33 pm
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Are you sure your card is the Venture card?

This thread is devoted to the Venture card redemption options, NOT other C1 cards which have a vastly different reward structure.

Venture card's miles can be used to offset travel expenses at straightly 1 mile = 1 penny ratio but you earn the C1 miles at a $1 spent earn 2 miles ratio so when redeemed for travel charges, it is a $0.02 per mile worth.

A hotel stay is a TRAVEL activity and certainly can use points to offset the cost at the exact 1 mile = 1 penny ratio, redeemable within 90 days of the hotel stay. If you say you cant use your points, I am afraid you are talking about other types of C1 card.

Nobody here is using it to redeem for the airline tickets the way you talk about and again I believe that is for other C1 cards.
True I was trying to figure out what this poster was talking about, since I used mine to purchase flights from airlines that I'll get EQM's for. Credits have already showed up on statement.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
True I was trying to figure out what this poster was talking about, since I used mine to purchase flights from airlines that I'll get EQM's for. Credits have already showed up on statement.
I used it to pay for the taxes on 2 award tickets. Since the charge was below $50 per ticket, Citi no longer would award flight points on its Premier Card so I use the Venture card to pay for it. Already redeemed the C1 miles multiple times to generate statement credits.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
You appear to be mixing up Capital One Venture miles with Chase Sapphire Ultimate Rewards points. Two completely separate beasts. Ultimate Rewards points get you 25% on airfare booked through Ultimate Rewards - 1 point is 1.25 cents. Meaning the 50K sign-up bonus isn't worth just $500, it's worth $625 when redeemed directly through the Chase program.

This thread is about redeeming Capital One Venture miles/points. They're all worth 1 cent each, with a very few specific exceptions discussed throughout this thread.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:46 am

LOL, I am so sorry. I do have the Venture card, but also the saphire. I was looking at my saphire award booklet and got confused thinking it was for the venture. My apologies. Mind is going at 46.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA, USair, United, Amex MR, ICHC, HHonors Silver
so i saw one person on ingys blog mention they were able to use venture points to cover amusement park tickets. has anyone done a similar thing? is it standard that they show up as a travel expense or do they need to be brought through a travel agent? anyone with any experience, please speak up
Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by metallim
so i saw one person on ingys blog mention they were able to use venture points to cover amusement park tickets. has anyone done a similar thing? is it standard that they show up as a travel expense or do they need to be brought through a travel agent? anyone with any experience, please speak up
Doesn't matter. Just buy your tickets and if they can't be credited online, a simple phone call will do.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:30 pm

LOL, I am so sorry. I do have the Venture card, but also the saphire. I was looking at my saphire award booklet and got confused thinking it was for the venture. My apologies. Mind is going at 46.
No problem, was just having a hard time with it. LOL
Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:07 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA, USair, United, Amex MR, ICHC, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by gerald5
Doesn't matter. Just buy your tickets and if they can't be credited online, a simple phone call will do.
they're always so flexible about these things on the phone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.