Wiki Posts
Search

Tough decision: UA 1k or AA Exec plat?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Tough decision: UA 1k or AA Exec plat?

Hey guys,

Need some advice. I'm exec plat on AA and 1K on UA. I'm not going to be flying enough to get both next year, so I have to choose one or the other.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone else had this dilemma and chose one after trying both?

1. I fly a lot from SFO->JFK/BOS/ORD
2. Internationally, my primary flight is SFO->LHR

For vacations, I'd really like to fly to Asia/Europe and use SWUs. That's the real sweetener for me.

What I see right now:
1. United PS doesn't allow upgrades, but you can use regional upgrades on them, which is nice. I'll probably get plenty of these from flying.
2. AA doesn't fly directly to Europe from SFO except via BA, and you can't use SWUs on those flights. But I've heard they're nice anyways.
3. Lufthansa is supposed to be one of the best airlines, but so is Cathay pacific, and they are on opposite sides of the fence.
4. My AA upgrade frequency from SFO->JFK was not that high.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I'm in a potentially similar boat. But as for your situation, it would help to know what you like to use your miles for and, when you do pay, whether it is generally in economy.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by nimag
Hey guys,

Need some advice. I'm exec plat on AA and 1K on UA. I'm not going to be flying enough to get both next year, so I have to choose one or the other.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone else had this dilemma and chose one after trying both?

For vacations, I'd really like to fly to Asia/Europe and use SWUs. That's the real sweetener for me.

What I see right now:
1. United PS doesn't allow upgrades, but you can use regional upgrades on them, which is nice. I'll probably get plenty of these from flying.
2. AA doesn't fly directly to Europe from SFO except via BA, and you can't use SWUs on those flights. But I've heard they're nice anyways.
3. Lufthansa is supposed to be one of the best airlines, but so is Cathay pacific, and they are on opposite sides of the fence.
welcome to FT. There are some really good threads on the UA and AA forum about this topic that you will find via the search function. However with your specific case my thoughts are that you stick with UA. This is because UA has economy plus that you will always get which will help you with your flights to JFK, which AA does not have and it seems like you spend a lot of time in economy with AA on that route. Also the nonstop on UA will be much better to LHR than connecting via AA. Plus UA has better options via Star Alliance.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Hey guys,

What I see right now:
Having SFO as your home airport, you will have more direct flights with UA. If you don't mind connecting flights, AA still has a lot of options connecting through ORD or DFW. If you are mainly flying Asia/Europe, UA/Star Alliance gives you more options. If you are interested in flights to Central/South America, that's where AA's strength lies.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:55 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that AA has soft-landing, so, even if you don't make any status next year, you will still only drop to PLAT (and then GLD after that).

A viable option would be to go for UA 1K, and just enjoy the free soft-landing to PLAT on AA. UA 1K + AA PLAT may work out better than AA EXP + UA nobody (even though I personally feel that top-tier on AA is better than on UA, between the 2 extra SWU and the lack of fare class restriction in using them).
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Hey guys,

What I see right now:
What fares do you usually purchase for these flights? FYI, Lufthansa is great in many aspects and I'm especially looking forward to their new F product, but their Y and J are simply outdated. There are far better airlines in *A (i.e. Swiss, Thai, Singapore).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.