Wiki Posts
Search

A380 F Product notes [merged A380 F review thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold+, LH HON, Starw Plat, RC Plat
A380 F Product notes [merged A380 F review thread]

I noticed a lack of reviews for the new F seat on the A380. I thought a few lines on the product might be of use to some fellow travelers.

Storage:
Each seat has dedicated full length closets/lockers which have a combination lock if additional security if required. Seat 1A & K have closets up front with the remainder of seats have theirs located at the rear of the cabin. No lights inside the closets making it difficult to find items during night flights
No overhead bins, creates a spacious feel in the cabin

Seat:
Fabric covers the seating area. Leather covers the surrounding area.
Mattress is laid over the seat and covered with sheet, duvet, and pillow. Blanket is also available, all of good quality. Flat, the seat/bed is about 2 meters (6.4ft) long.
Once mattress is placed, access to the entertainment controls are difficult, best to be removed prior to bed being set up, crew never seem to think of this.
Ottoman has a storage area. The entire Ottoman can move forward, handy for shorter travelers. Because of this, it cannot be used as an additional seat for a companion to join for a meal or a meeting.
Lighting is good, with three ceiling lights being used. Small spot light (located near the headrest of the seat) is available as well as a night light, neither of these are very effective.
Table is large and can be moved forward, back, and side ways. Assistance is required to take it out of the storage area and cannot be done while seated.
Privacy screen comes up at the press of a button surrounding 50% of the seat. For those in the center a full divider can be raised, however this needs to be done by the crew
Window shades are electric with a choice of light or full darkness.
Storage, two small areas by the arm rest for glasses, phone and other small items, but not a laptop, would need to use the ottoman.

Entertainment:
Headphone are new, Bose branded, and are excellent.
Television is a good size, selection of movies and series is below average compared to other premium carries. The same goes for the music selection.
Two plugs and two usb outlets by the side of the seat.
Three cameras allow for external views on the television, moving map layout has a new layout.

Food & Drinks:
Identical to all other LH F flights. Nothing new

Extras:
Wash bag is different in shape but identical content to other flights
PJ’s are given out, dark bleu top, with buttons not the v-shaped one, and grey pants, different from other flights. These are handed out in two bags rather than the usual one handy to cover shoes. Slippers are grey and socks are now in the wash bag.

Bathroom:
Two located at the front of the cabin.
Large in size, containing a toilet, a urinal, seating area, large sink with good controls for hot and cold water.
Good lighting for shaving.
Unlike some aircrafts, no windows.
New hand towels, larger, thicker and better quality than on other aircrafts

Additional:
Cabin noise is claimed to be reduced, I disagree. You can feel (footsteps) and hear the crew walking around at night, similar to a A340/330 or a 747.
Claims of better humidifiers are exaggerated. Upon waking, skin and throat were as dry as on other aircrafts, no improvement felt.
Magazine rack up front, you have to go on your knees to see the selection

Conclusion:
Nice, and a huge improvement over the previous seat, but not in the same league as SQ (New F or Suites), CX, EK or EY
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:46 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Golden
Conclusion:
Nice, and a huge improvement over the previous seat, but not in the same league as SQ (New F or Suites), CX, EK or EY
Thanks for the review. What would it take for LH to be in the same league as the carriers you list?
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
SQ New F (77W) has not been a great invention and I would not use this product as any standard.

Seat pitch is decreased significantly, while still in 1-2-1 layout. Personal space is a lot less than 'the widest bed in the sky' might suggest. The bench is not comfortable for lounging and the huge screen is only good for vain frequent travellers that like to watch themselves during the whole flight...
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:52 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The entire Ottoman can move forward, handy for shorter travelers.
Glad to learn this. ^
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by SMK77
the huge screen is only good for vain frequent travellers that like to watch themselves during the whole flight...
Very funny...! I totally agree!

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:44 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by SMK77
the huge screen is only good for vain frequent travellers that like to watch themselves during the whole flight...
We are in total agreement on this. ^

Wow.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:47 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Ottoman has a storage area. The entire Ottoman can move forward, handy for shorter travelers. Because of this, it cannot be used as an additional seat for a companion to join for a meal or a meeting.
On LX it has a storage area as well and can be moved forward and backward. Still it can be used as additional seat for lunch/dinner or for a meeting. Why not on LH?
Table is large and can be moved forward, back, and side ways. Assistance is required to take it out of the storage area and cannot be done while seated.
Assistance is required to take out the table...
Cannot be done, when seated is a
How can that be?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 7:05 am

Programs: M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum
deleted.

Last edited by JohnDP; Nov 30, 2013 at 3:50 am
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:17 pm
hch

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
We are in total agreement on this. ^

Wow.
FYI I already found the screen in A380 F too large, having flown it last night. The passenger in front of me kept watching movies all night which still lightened up the cabin enough to wake me up a few times. In the little ~ 5 hours where the cabin was actually darkened given how damn long the service took again :P

That beeing said for sleeping new LH F is the most comfortable I had on a plane so far. I've only sampled LX old F / LH old F / UA old/new F / SQ old F and TAM F on the A332 recently, though.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:22 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by hch
FYI I already found the screen in A380 F too large, having flown it last night. The passenger in front of me kept watching movies all night which still lightened up the cabin enough to wake me up a few times. In the little ~ 5 hours where the cabin was actually darkened given how damn long the service took again :P
Which confirms the argument brought up by LHPII why LH had opted for smaller than competitor's screens in the Y cabin.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Originally Posted by JohnDP
I think this referrs to the overall lower noise level of the aircraft.
+1 I have flown QF 388 in F and could not believe how quiet the plane was it almost feels strange during take off for such a big plane.

For me CX F and maybe QF F on the 388 are the industry standard in terms of hard product period
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:44 am

having just gotten of a 380 F flight, here is some additions/comments...

Storage:
Each seat has dedicated full length closets/lockers which have a combination lock if additional security if required. Seat 1A & K have closets up front with the remainder of seats have theirs located at the rear of the cabin. No lights inside the closets making it difficult to find items during night flights
No overhead bins, creates a spacious feel in the cabin
i really like those closets, and they do have lights btw...

Once mattress is placed, access to the entertainment controls are difficult, best to be removed prior to bed being set up, crew never seem to think of this.
the mattress is fantastic i have to say, i couldn't feel the seat below it at all. it feels very much like a "real" bed, just the way it should be...

Small spot light (located near the headrest of the seat) is available as well as a night light, neither of these are very effective.
i found the nightlight to be good enough for reading while the seat is in bed mode.

now this is only half the truth. assistance is not required per se, nor does one need to get out of the seat to have the table taken out. the only reason for this is that its so far in the front that no one will reach that far without getting out of the seat. but its not like you need to get up when a FA takes the table out...

Entertainment:
Headphone are new, Bose branded, and are excellent.
Television is a good size, selection of movies and series is below average compared to other premium carries. The same goes for the music selection.
Two plugs and two usb outlets by the side of the seat.
Three cameras allow for external views on the television, moving map layout has a new layout.
the headphones are bose QC2's, special airline version that gets powered by the plug instead of a AAA batterie, other than that, they are the same excellent product.
i agree on the IFE content, its quiet poor compared to other offerings (like NZ C), but this has never been a priority for me anyway. the 3 camera views are pretty nice though, especially the tail camera...

Bathroom:
Two located at the front of the cabin.
Large in size, containing a toilet, a urinal, seating area, large sink with good controls for hot and cold water.
Good lighting for shaving.
Unlike some aircrafts, no windows.
New hand towels, larger, thicker and better quality than on other aircrafts
the sheer size of it is really a huge improvement, i also like the design. it seems its as close to the FCT/FCL as they could get it...

Additional:
Cabin noise is claimed to be reduced, I disagree. You can feel (footsteps) and hear the crew walking around at night, similar to a A340/330 or a 747.
Claims of better humidifiers are exaggerated. Upon waking, skin and throat were as dry as on other aircrafts, no improvement felt.
i have to disagree on that again, it seems a good bit quieter than SQs front C cabin for instance. the walking noise is next to zero compared to a 747 upper deck, and its still a good bit better than on the other airbus planes. its still there, but its noticeably less...

all in all i think for people who are not into the suite concept (like me!), this is one of the best F products out there now...
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:48 am

Programs: M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum
deleted.

Last edited by JohnDP; Nov 30, 2013 at 3:44 am
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
[QUOTE=Golden;14757924]I noticed a lack of reviews for the new F seat on the A380. I thought a few lines on the product might be of use to some fellow travelers.

Thank you Golden for your feedback and details. It seems that LH is not getting better. I flew on all aircrafts but A380, but was lately disappointed especially in Business class. Everything far bellow everage, so I am glad I flew 77W and 380 in Business on Singapore Airlines instead.
LH is doing so much publicity for A380 but what I read from your review it's not worth it. LH does very good in some things, but not in service or very good service. The food on my last Business class flight to JFK was so bad I had to ask for nuts and champain instead. I do not understand why are always full? WHo wants to throw the money?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:25 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
It took me a while to realise the control was stored in the armrest which had practically disappeared when the bed was made. Also the headphone cable got caught by the lowered armrest.

I liked the shortcut buttons for controlling the seat and AVOD without having to move through the menu options. Also the fact that you can now watch airshow (3 cameras plus niceview) while listening to the music of your choice.

PJ’s are given out, dark bleu top, with buttons not the v-shaped one, and grey pants, different from other flights.
Anyone who complained that PJ trousers were nylon (actually they were not - they are 65% polyester / 35% cotton just like the tops) might be interested to know the new grey pants are 100% cotton. PJ tops for women are off-white/cream with buttons but with no fibre content label.

Probably because I'm recovering from a bad cold I certainly found the cabin to be too dry and also too warm as usual.

Haha... very true.

Originally Posted by sentom
the mattress is fantastic i have to say, i couldn't feel the seat below it at all. it feels very much like a "real" bed, just the way it should be...
I may be too fussy but I found the backrest didn't go completely horizontal and the mattress was caught in the gap between the backrest and the seat. The mattress was shaped to fit the bed (tapered towards the feet) but it didn't stay in place for a fidgety sleeper like me. I don't remember any sheet other the cover of the mattress... I thought the duvet was too large (i.e. too wide) for the size of the bed.

Originally Posted by sentom
all in all i think for people who are not into the suite concept (like me!), this is one of the best F products out there now...
Despite my comments above I agree with you though my experience of flying in F is limited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.