FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   (FARE GONE) AV: LAX-LIM $36+, $116 All-in on FareCompare... mistake?! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/807966-fare-gone-av-lax-lim-36-116-all-farecompare-mistake.html)

Jaimito Cartero Apr 2, 2008 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by boxo (Post 9509289)
Did this migrate to FW?!

I suppose this has restored a lil bit of my confidence in FC. Now, if only PPT were bookable...

Well, it's always nice to have a bogeyman to blame stuff on. :)

The problem with FC is that it doesn't usually factor in fuel surcharges. If they could figure this out, it would be a super tool. I wish the airlines were forced to quote the price all in, and not do a fuel surcharge back door.

While, I don't consider this deal a Jumbo, it's a good deal if you want to go to Peru. With airfares going up almost everywhere, it's tough to find a sub $400 South American fare! I lovingly recall the $399ai fares to EZE that were so prevalent just a few years ago. I long for the days of $30 a barrel crude. :(

Riot_Nrrrd Apr 2, 2008 4:12 pm

Not sure why Jaimito made the FW comment. I did a search over on FW and the only Lima that came up was Adriana :D

Am beginning to get Buyer's Remorse at not grabbing LAX-LIM when I could, but I was really only interested in that LAX-LIM-CUZ golden ticket. You can fly separately on those TACA flights for $172, but it would've made the whole trip around $420-$430, still a good deal but when you've had $227 for the same itn tantalizingly dangled in front of you ...

(And the alternative being 20 hours on a bus from LIM-CUZ? No thanks ... )

Jaimito Cartero Apr 2, 2008 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Riot_Nrrrd (Post 9509366)
Not sure why Jaimito made the FW comment.

(And the alternative being 20 hours on a bus from LIM-CUZ? No thanks ... )

Well, it's always easy to blame "stuff" that happens on someone else. :)

I don't think I would take that bus to Cuzco. I've heard of so many deadly accidents going up there, that I don't think I'd do it. I think I'd take an Air Kazakhstan flight first. ;)

fti Apr 2, 2008 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 9509287)
Well, I considered that, seeing as just the LAX-BOG was sold out (on a 767), but not the BOG-LIM which is often a 757, it brought up the other possibility. All just conjecture, of course.

Availability of certain fare classes does not necessarily have any relation to the size of the aircraft. It is all dependent on the gods of yield management computers :D

IggySD Apr 2, 2008 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Riot_Nrrrd (Post 9507473)
The real question is, if you can't get LAX-LIM-CUZ to book, how much would it cost to go from LIM-CUZ via land route? (TACA wants $172 for that flight on its own)

You may want to play around with dates a bit. I found it on the TACA site for $127. Not dirt cheap but not really that bad when compared to an ~18 hour bus trip.

And thanks OP - Machu Pichu is high on my list of places I've been wanting to see.

Jaimito Cartero Apr 3, 2008 1:22 am

Avianca LIM-LAX $26+

I just got an alert for a $26 Avianca fare for the reverse route, but I'm not finding any K availability of course.

fti Apr 3, 2008 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 9511288)
I just got an alert for a $26 Avianca fare for the reverse route, but I'm not finding any K availability of course.

We are both up late :). Actually I noticed that same fare even LAX-LIM round trip a few hours ago but didn't even post it, knowing there is no K availability. My trip could have cost $10 less :D.

It goes to show that some of these el cheapo fares are indeed not mistakes. Or if they are, the person trying to correct $36 to something higher inadvertently made it even lower!!

John

Angeleno228 Apr 3, 2008 8:37 am

As of this morning (7:30PST), 10/4-10/14 and 10/5-10/14 are available for $233. Looks like "K" availability is popping up again.

Angeleno228 Apr 3, 2008 9:10 am

Damn, within 30 minutes is gone for the dates I reported above!

GreenFireflyer Apr 3, 2008 9:34 am

I see availability for outbound on 10/7, but nary a return in the same month...

zbenye Apr 3, 2008 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Angeleno228 (Post 9512675)
Damn, within 30 minutes is gone for the dates I reported above!

If you should find anything again, won't you please tell us where? The window of opportunity is obviously very small; knowing which website to go to would increase the chances of finding, thereby making your message much more valuable. Without that tiny bit of info in your message, I had to frantically run searches through Expedia, Orbitz, Zuji and other sites that have been mentioned before with regards to this deal. Thanks!

Angeleno228 Apr 3, 2008 9:55 am

Originally Posted by zbenye (Post 9512872)
If you should find anything again, won't you please tell us where? The window of opportunity is obviously very small; knowing which website to go to would increase the chances of finding, thereby making your message much more valuable. Without that tiny bit of info in your message, I had to frantically run searches through Expedia, Orbitz, Zuji and other sites that have been mentioned before with regards to this deal. Thanks!

Hi, my searches have been mostly on Expedia, and that's where I found it. I was adding CUZ to the itinerary, and it priced $213 all-in (TACA domestic legs), but just like a couple of days ago, it wouldn't go through. The other alternative was for $391 all-in with domestic legs on LAN. If availability shows up again and somebody posts, I suggest you check Expedia.

drtravels372 Apr 3, 2008 11:50 am

Originally Posted by mpattdu (Post 9507436)
Some people are just completely clueless.:td: So glad you could contribute:rolleyes:

Oh really? Perhaps you'd like to give lessons with an ethics slant?

Angeleno228 Apr 3, 2008 1:34 pm

I helped a friend get in the deal, but I couldn't help myself! And this hide-and-seek game with "K" availability is giving me high blood pressure :D. So like a snob, I went and booked myself a business class award seat in order to join my friend. Long story short, I will be in Cuzco and Macchu Picchu from 10/12 to 10/16. If anyone else is going at that time, don't forget to say hi! :)

Angeleno228 Apr 3, 2008 3:34 pm

I am able to pull October 5-14 again on Expedia (2:35pm PST).

Good Luck :)