Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Let's Start Our Own Secret Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2008, 2:37 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum

Let's start our own Secret Club

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it possible for us to list the cities we will follow on a daily basis and how we will follow them?.

IE: I will watch SAV and HHH for domestic itineraries and have set airfare alerts for them on airfarewatchdog and monitor farecompare. I will also watch for international itineraries, but I don't check them daily.

I will also commit to post outstanding results on the MR Discussion forum that I find to be mileage run (less than 3.5 cents per eqm) or mistake fare worthy within one hour of finding such fare.

I also commit to NOT CALL THE AIRLINES or Agency offering the airfare under ANY circumstances until it has been confirmed by a sufficient number of members that we can conclude the fare is DEAD.

I'll save the next two posts temporarily to see if we have interest and/or revisions.

UPDATE 9/14/08

If one even existed, and I certainly don't know as it is secret, I would assume that the existing membership might be polled to see if they wanted to increase the size of the group.

And again if it even exists, I would assume that each member would then nominate somebody they would like to have join, that they trusted and could monitor a city that was not currently being watched.

That would be my guess, what would happen, if a secret club even existed

Last edited by ingy; Sep 14, 2008 at 11:21 am Reason: > less than 3.5 cents per EQM
Old Mar 20, 2008, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Here are the cities being watched so far: Let us know if you can take a new one or back one of these up.
AKL
AUS
BCN
BNA
BOI
BOS back up only
CDC
CPH
DCA
DME
EWR
EZE
FLL
GEG
HEL
HHH
IGM
IND
JAX
JFK
LAS
LAX
LED
LGA
MCI
MEM
MIA
MKE
MRY
MSN
MSP
OAK
OMA
PBI
PDX
PHL back up only
PHX
PIT
RNO
SAN
SAT
SAV
SEA
SFO
SGU
SJC
SMF
STL
SVO
SYD
YYC

UPDATE 3/22 Evening

Great additions, Thanks and Thank You to the International watchers that have chimed in (your input is very important). If you can see who else is covering your cities by going through the thread and PM them to say hello, discuss how you are monitoring and maybe share the load. Bay Area is indeed covered. Feeling a little weak in PHL, BOS, ORD (nothing personal those that have volunteered but they are important markets and we could use more than one each) We have very few Texans onboard. Anybody willing to watch DFW, DAL and IAH , HOU? What else have we missed. Did I see DEN?

It appears in the prelim stages we are looking for at least daily coverage and more than once per day is preferred. If you can't make the committment be honest and say so, and we will put you in a backup spot.

3.5 cents or less per EQM BEFORE we all apply our creative routings will be our benchmark for MRs. If you want to use your creative juices to bring it down to that, be prepared to share how you got there.

Let's fill the holes in the map in the next couple days and then move on.

Thanks for your efforts on OUR Behalf.

Last edited by ingy; Mar 22, 2008 at 8:38 pm
Old Mar 20, 2008, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Should we come to a concensus on how to cover each city?

I'll suggest (subject to revision of course) that as a minimum you are checking Fare Compare daily for PPM of 3.5 cents per mile or less. We know it will improve with the creative routings. The key factors are 1. Airport 2.Cheapest by Market 3. PPM and 4. You can check which airlines are best.

Prices change at 10AM 12:30PM and 8PM Eastern weekdays and 5 or 5:30PM weekends. I try to check after each change so 11AM, 1:30 PM and 6:30PM.

If you are doing more than this, great. If less, get somebody else to help with your city. I have them sending me alerts for both economy and first class for my cities.

And if somebody has a better source, please chime in on the thread. We all know FC is not perfect (fuel surcharges ec), so do a little investigation first.

Last edited by ingy; Mar 21, 2008 at 10:29 pm
Old Mar 20, 2008, 2:41 pm

I'm good for it, Ingy. I keep tab of JAX regularly

drew
Old Mar 20, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
I'm in. I keep up with MEM daily.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I'm hugely interested in this, but as I'm still trying to wrap my head around the MR concept and how it works (exactly!), I'm afraid I'll have to be a lurker until I can figure it out.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 2:45 pm

I'm your man, as well.

I monitor SFO/OAK, and to a lesser extent, SJC.

I keep track of transcons, transatlantic runs, and when they seem viable, segment runs.

Keep me posted.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
I'm in for AUS/SAT! I monitor daily on FC, Airfare Watchdog and sometimes Travelocity.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 3:00 pm

Here's one

JAX-SEA on DL same day turnaround for $220 - good for 4.1 cpm (5364 eqm via GreatCircleMapper)

around the same price for JAX-many west coast cities

drew
Old Mar 20, 2008, 3:07 pm

Programs: Various
Good idea. I monitor all deals out of PIT, and exceptional deals out of PHL and BOS.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Im in. I use to monitore long haul ex EZE, BCN to europe, southamerica and some USA airport as well. Also some C fares from these places.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
Shotgun for IND
Old Mar 20, 2008, 7:56 pm

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by ingy
I will also commit to post outstanding results on the MR Discussion forum that I find to be mileage run (>3.5 cents per eqm) or mistake fare worthy within one hour of finding such fare.
I'm in, I watch SAN mostly and every other day LAX.

But... I think you mean <3.5C/EQM

-SF
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:12 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
I too live in the bay area and will be vigilant about looking out for DEALS in SFO/OAK.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:01 pm

I'm good for Calgary (YYC).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.