FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Definitions of EQM, RDM, BIS, EQS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/511533-definitions-eqm-rdm-bis-eqs.html)

dodgy Jan 6, 2006 9:29 am

Definitions of EQM, RDM, BIS, EQS

Pardon my ignorance - could someone please define these for me.

Thanks
d

nako Jan 6, 2006 9:31 am

EQM- elite qualifying mile
RDM - redeemable mile (non-elite qualifying)
BIS - butt-in-seat
EQS - elite qualifying segment

And, for future reference (for yourself and other people reading this), FT's Glossary has a lot of information on other commonly used terms here.

Welcome to FT!

Mike

CaveatEmpty Jan 6, 2006 9:41 am

See also: above [Quick Links] --> Glossary :D

/.

kevinsac Jan 6, 2006 9:48 am

OK......here is one not listed in the glossary, and I have asked a few people who also did not know.

What is a "DO?" In reading the term in some of the posts, I take it to be some type of get-together, but I can't figure out the acronym.

cheers

mcrt Jan 6, 2006 10:01 am

Originally Posted by kevinsac
OK......here is one not listed in the glossary, and I have asked a few people who also did not know.

What is a "DO?" In reading the term in some of the posts, I take it to be some type of get-together, but I can't figure out the acronym.

cheers

It is not an acronym, just a regular old word.

do (dū)

n., pl. dos or do's.

A statement of what should be done: a list of the dos and don'ts of management.
Informal. An entertainment; a party: attended a big do at the embassy.
A commotion.
Chiefly British Slang. A swindle; a cheat.
Archaic. Duty; deed.
Slang. Fecal matter; excrement.

zxcvbs Jan 6, 2006 10:09 am

I first thought "DO" meant "Day Out". I guess that works too. :rolleyes:

tcook052 Jan 6, 2006 10:25 am

Hmmm, maybe a min. post count for MR isn't such a bad idea after all.

clacko Jan 6, 2006 10:34 am

many people use YMMV, which i think means "your mileage may vary"....

often, it doesn't seem to make sense in the context of the post....

is there another translation[s]? or have i got it wrong?

omahajim Jan 6, 2006 10:47 am

Originally Posted by clacko

It isn't necessarily meant to be literal (as the amount of miles you get will vary). YMMV is a short way to say that your experience may be different from what I experienced, no matter the subject.

nako Jan 6, 2006 10:48 am

Originally Posted by clacko

No, you have the translation right. In proper context, though, it has nothing to do with frequent flier miles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_mileage_may_vary

Mike

FourWheels Jan 6, 2006 11:43 am

cheers

I wondered that also after I first joined FT. I searched and found that Fter Catman organized the first get-together... the Catman-Do.

chexfan Jan 6, 2006 11:47 am

You're spot-on!

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193387

chuckd Jan 6, 2006 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052

Agreement. This doesn't seem to belong.

IceTrojan Jan 6, 2006 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052

Perhaps a member's first 10-20 posts should be restricted only to FAQs and Stickies :D

cospike Jan 6, 2006 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Perhaps a member's first 10-20 posts should be restricted only to FAQs and Stickies :D

Yeah, perhaps. And perhaps people like you and tcook052 on this site could be more helpful to new people. It's not that difficult, try it sometime!

I may not have posted much, but as a reader of these forums I've noticed that many people like yourself with high post counts tend take a somwhat contemning and elitist attitude in followup posts when a newbie makes an innocent or ignorant error in a post. Face it, someone new may see a topic where it makes sense to post their question. Next thing you know, they're getting barbs from you guys. Perhaps it's just a way for you to get your gratification by increasing your post count by 1. But hey, whatever makes you feel like a "contributor"... Why not just bring it up with the mods if it intrudes on your FT experience that much.