FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Moved to NZ...help w/ getting a few more United PQMs? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1987710-moved-nz-help-w-getting-few-more-united-pqms.html)

traveler28 Sep 17, 2019 3:59 pm

Moved to NZ...help w/ getting a few more United PQMs?

Hi there! I've recently moved to New Zealand and, luckily, Air NZ is a Star Alliance Partner, since I was building up my status with United this year. I'm currently just about 4500 PQMs short of hitting the next tier but, I'm trying to see if anyone has any ideas or experience w/ gaining PQMs for United while so far away. I thought I'd hid the jackpot b/c Air NZ has a "grab a seat" program where you can fly to various places for cheaply on set dates. I grabbed a ticket from CHC to Hokitika (about a 45 min flight) for about $50 and thought I'd do that a few times since the minimum miles guarantee would mean that I'd get 500 mils for each leg or 1000 miles for the whole trip. Well, unfortunately, after looking at the booking code, I see that it gets zero award or elite miles on United so, that idea is bust.

I realize that I could hop a couple of flights to Australia or fly back to the US once and solve this issue but, both of those seem to have a cost of over $1000 and I don't have the vacation to fly back to the US so, I thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas for a mileage run from NZ. Unfortunately, I'm new at my job so, I don't have much vacation saved up which means, any trips would likely have to be weekends. Maybe I just need a 9 leg multi stop around the country? :) Thanks in advance for any help!

Yoshi212 Sep 17, 2019 4:28 pm

https://www.secretflying.com/oceania-deals/

You might find a deal by monitoring the above site to explore Australia & Asia.

MSPeconomist Sep 17, 2019 4:35 pm

For the number of miles you need, wouldn't the obvious choices be Perth or Singapore, maybe Bangkok, especially if you can manage a long weekend or can schedule an overnight flight? You might also want to check low season (before the late November USA Thanksgiving holiday) prices to HNL.

There's an Australian FF site but it would be better if you could find a NZ one as NZ fares would seem to be a special subject.

Can we assume that needing a few UA operated/marketed segments isn't an issue?

canuck_traveler Sep 17, 2019 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by traveler28 (Post 31535820)
Hi there! I've recently moved to New Zealand and, luckily, Air NZ is a Star Alliance Partner, since I was building up my status with United this year. I'm currently just about 4500 PQMs short of hitting the next tier but, I'm trying to see if anyone has any ideas or experience w/ gaining PQMs for United while so far away. I thought I'd hid the jackpot b/c Air NZ has a "grab a seat" program where you can fly to various places for cheaply on set dates. I grabbed a ticket from CHC to Hokitika (about a 45 min flight) for about $50 and thought I'd do that a few times since the minimum miles guarantee would mean that I'd get 500 mils for each leg or 1000 miles for the whole trip. Well, unfortunately, after looking at the booking code, I see that it gets zero award or elite miles on United so, that idea is bust.

I realize that I could hop a couple of flights to Australia or fly back to the US once and solve this issue but, both of those seem to have a cost of over $1000 and I don't have the vacation to fly back to the US so, I thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas for a mileage run from NZ. Unfortunately, I'm new at my job so, I don't have much vacation saved up which means, any trips would likely have to be weekends. Maybe I just need a 9 leg multi stop around the country? :) Thanks in advance for any help!

How about CHC-HKG? e.g. Nov 16 (arrives back in CHC on the 17), $939, Air New Zealand, booking class "S" (earns 50% mileage on United), 5500+ PQMs

MSPeconomist Sep 17, 2019 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler (Post 31535981)
How about CHC-HKG? e.g. Nov 16 (arrives back in CHC on the 17), $939, Air New Zealand, booking class "S" (earns 50% mileage on United), 5500+ PQMs

I was hesitating to mention HKG given the current situation there. Flights are cheap/empty and things seem OK if one can stay airside, but there could be a risk of returning late for work.

Mwenenzi Sep 17, 2019 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by traveler28 (Post 31535820)
Hi there! I've recently moved to New Zealand and, luckily, Air NZ is a Star Alliance Partner, since I was building up my status with United this year. I'm currently just about 4500 PQMs short of hitting the next tier but, I'm trying to see if anyone has any ideas or experience w/ gaining PQMs for United while so far away.
I thought I'd hid the jackpot b/c Air NZ has a "grab a seat" program where you can fly to various places for cheaply on set dates. I grabbed a ticket from CHC to Hokitika (about a 45 min flight) for about $50 and thought I'd do that a few times since the minimum miles guarantee would mean that I'd get 500 miles for each leg or 1000 miles for the whole trip. Well, unfortunately, after looking at the booking code, I see that it gets zero award or elite miles on United so, that idea is bust.

I realize that I could hop a couple of flights to Australia or fly back to the US once and solve this issue but, both of those seem to have a cost of over $1000 and I don't have the vacation to fly back to the US so, I thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas for a mileage run from NZ.
Unfortunately, I'm new at my job so, I don't have much vacation saved up which means, any trips would likely have to be weekends. Maybe I just need a 9 leg multi stop around the country? :) Thanks in advance for any help!

Welcome to CHC
In NZ for a short time? Or for ever?

Air NZ is not generous to freq flyers for cheapie fares. Finding a good fare with a good booking class may be hard. Probably to subscribe to the Air NZ sub forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...ir-points-440/

From CHC SQ (Star Alliance) fly to SIN. Other wise you are stuck with Air NZ
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ...tional_Airport
SQ also fly WLG-MEL, but fares seem more expensive than others on the trans Tasman routes.
Trans Tasman fares a lot less than $1000 (US$ or NZ$?) One way economy about NZ$250 to NZ$350. A considerable increase on a year ago. AirNZ tend to be on the higher price range.
https://flights.webjet.co.nz/FlightS...b-5a20bb306b44

The Friday on Cup week (Nov 15th) is a Christchurch public holiday, so you have another day for travels.

traveler28 Sep 18, 2019 2:08 pm

Thanks all for all of the suggestions. Yes, this move to CHC is permanent although it'll take 2 years to get residency :) As for my needs, I'm all good on the spend, it's just the miles that I need so, I'll take some of the suggestions above and run with them to see what I come up with. Obviously, I'd like to keep the cost down since it's just going to be a turnaround mileage run and, not a stop somewhere to enjoy it :) Thanks again and, if you have any other ideas or good travel deal websites for this side of the world, I'd love to hear them (I had a ton of them for the States but feel like I'm back at square one again :) )

Mwenenzi Sep 18, 2019 2:16 pm

So time to change your profile location :)
What will you travel profile be?
Will UA status be any value?

As time goes on will you be able to get the 4 UA flight requirement & the other UA ffp requirements?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ions-here.html

Travel deal web sites not common in this part of the world: just direct with the main airlines or major travel agents (packaged tourist holiday market)

traveler28 Sep 18, 2019 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31539403)
So time to change your profile location :)
What will you travel profile be?
Will UA status be any value?

As time goes on will you be able to get the 4 UA flight requirement & the other UA ffp requirements?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ions-here.html

Travel deal web sites not common in this part of the world: just direct with the main airlines or major travel agents (packaged tourist holiday market)

I will likely switch to Air NZ's loyalty program once the new calendar year begins but, still have a lot of reading, etc... to do to learn about it. I'm so close to hitting the UA status that I figure I'll finish that up and maybe see if Air NZ will do a status match or something like that. I also use the Marriott status match w/ UA so, I'd like to keep that up for another year :)

Mwenenzi Sep 18, 2019 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by traveler28 (Post 31539692)
I will likely switch to Air NZ's loyalty program once the new calendar year begins but, still have a lot of reading, etc... to do to learn about it. I'm so close to hitting the UA status that I figure I'll finish that up and maybe see if Air NZ will do a status match or something like that. I also use the Marriott status match w/ UA so, I'd like to keep that up for another year :)

Air NZ loyalty program is as bad as any ffp can get. And then some. Only useful is flying Air NZ a lot, preferably on expensive tickets, and have non flying activity that can get AirNZ airpoints dollars. I credit my few Air NZ flights to UA. Was VA for a while, until Air NZ & Virgin Australia divorced.

Air NZ will not status match UA (same alliance).

wh6cto Sep 18, 2019 5:32 pm

One other option is the Premier Accelerator, either using an existing bookings or using a new award booking (which you can cancel later). Remember, you need to get the Award Accelerator (typically 2cpm), and add Premier Accelerator on top of that.

For reference, my last offer was 14cpm...for 5kPQM that's $700. That's only if they offer you what you need, not a whole bunch more (or less).

Still, worth a try. Good luck!