Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Moved to NZ...help w/ getting a few more United PQMs?

Moved to NZ...help w/ getting a few more United PQMs?

Old Sep 17, 19, 3:59 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Programs: UA-Plat
Posts: 15
Moved to NZ...help w/ getting a few more United PQMs?

Hi there! I've recently moved to New Zealand and, luckily, Air NZ is a Star Alliance Partner, since I was building up my status with United this year. I'm currently just about 4500 PQMs short of hitting the next tier but, I'm trying to see if anyone has any ideas or experience w/ gaining PQMs for United while so far away. I thought I'd hid the jackpot b/c Air NZ has a "grab a seat" program where you can fly to various places for cheaply on set dates. I grabbed a ticket from CHC to Hokitika (about a 45 min flight) for about $50 and thought I'd do that a few times since the minimum miles guarantee would mean that I'd get 500 mils for each leg or 1000 miles for the whole trip. Well, unfortunately, after looking at the booking code, I see that it gets zero award or elite miles on United so, that idea is bust.

I realize that I could hop a couple of flights to Australia or fly back to the US once and solve this issue but, both of those seem to have a cost of over $1000 and I don't have the vacation to fly back to the US so, I thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas for a mileage run from NZ. Unfortunately, I'm new at my job so, I don't have much vacation saved up which means, any trips would likely have to be weekends. Maybe I just need a 9 leg multi stop around the country? Thanks in advance for any help!
traveler28 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:28 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Posts: 6,549
https://www.secretflying.com/oceania-deals/

You might find a deal by monitoring the above site to explore Australia & Asia.
Yoshi212 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:35 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,783
For the number of miles you need, wouldn't the obvious choices be Perth or Singapore, maybe Bangkok, especially if you can manage a long weekend or can schedule an overnight flight? You might also want to check low season (before the late November USA Thanksgiving holiday) prices to HNL.

There's an Australian FF site but it would be better if you could find a NZ one as NZ fares would seem to be a special subject.

Can we assume that needing a few UA operated/marketed segments isn't an issue?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:57 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 768
Originally Posted by traveler28 View Post
Hi there! I've recently moved to New Zealand and, luckily, Air NZ is a Star Alliance Partner, since I was building up my status with United this year. I'm currently just about 4500 PQMs short of hitting the next tier but, I'm trying to see if anyone has any ideas or experience w/ gaining PQMs for United while so far away. I thought I'd hid the jackpot b/c Air NZ has a "grab a seat" program where you can fly to various places for cheaply on set dates. I grabbed a ticket from CHC to Hokitika (about a 45 min flight) for about $50 and thought I'd do that a few times since the minimum miles guarantee would mean that I'd get 500 mils for each leg or 1000 miles for the whole trip. Well, unfortunately, after looking at the booking code, I see that it gets zero award or elite miles on United so, that idea is bust.

I realize that I could hop a couple of flights to Australia or fly back to the US once and solve this issue but, both of those seem to have a cost of over $1000 and I don't have the vacation to fly back to the US so, I thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas for a mileage run from NZ. Unfortunately, I'm new at my job so, I don't have much vacation saved up which means, any trips would likely have to be weekends. Maybe I just need a 9 leg multi stop around the country? Thanks in advance for any help!
How about CHC-HKG? e.g. Nov 16 (arrives back in CHC on the 17), $939, Air New Zealand, booking class "S" (earns 50% mileage on United), 5500+ PQMs
canuck_traveler is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:59 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,783
Originally Posted by canuck_traveler View Post
How about CHC-HKG? e.g. Nov 16 (arrives back in CHC on the 17), $939, Air New Zealand, booking class "S" (earns 50% mileage on United), 5500+ PQMs
I was hesitating to mention HKG given the current situation there. Flights are cheap/empty and things seem OK if one can stay airside, but there could be a risk of returning late for work.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 5:22 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,234
Originally Posted by traveler28 View Post
Hi there! I've recently moved to New Zealand and, luckily, Air NZ is a Star Alliance Partner, since I was building up my status with United this year. I'm currently just about 4500 PQMs short of hitting the next tier but, I'm trying to see if anyone has any ideas or experience w/ gaining PQMs for United while so far away.
I thought I'd hid the jackpot b/c Air NZ has a "grab a seat" program where you can fly to various places for cheaply on set dates. I grabbed a ticket from CHC to Hokitika (about a 45 min flight) for about $50 and thought I'd do that a few times since the minimum miles guarantee would mean that I'd get 500 miles for each leg or 1000 miles for the whole trip. Well, unfortunately, after looking at the booking code, I see that it gets zero award or elite miles on United so, that idea is bust.

I realize that I could hop a couple of flights to Australia or fly back to the US once and solve this issue but, both of those seem to have a cost of over $1000 and I don't have the vacation to fly back to the US so, I thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas for a mileage run from NZ.
Unfortunately, I'm new at my job so, I don't have much vacation saved up which means, any trips would likely have to be weekends. Maybe I just need a 9 leg multi stop around the country? Thanks in advance for any help!
Welcome to CHC
In NZ for a short time? Or for ever?

Air NZ is not generous to freq flyers for cheapie fares. Finding a good fare with a good booking class may be hard. Probably to subscribe to the Air NZ sub forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...ir-points-440/

From CHC SQ (Star Alliance) fly to SIN. Other wise you are stuck with Air NZ
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ...tional_Airport
SQ also fly WLG-MEL, but fares seem more expensive than others on the trans Tasman routes.
Trans Tasman fares a lot less than $1000 (US$ or NZ$?) One way economy about NZ$250 to NZ$350. A considerable increase on a year ago. AirNZ tend to be on the higher price range.
https://flights.webjet.co.nz/FlightS...b-5a20bb306b44

The Friday on Cup week (Nov 15th) is a Christchurch public holiday, so you have another day for travels.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 18, 19 at 2:54 pm Reason: added "economy"
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:08 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Programs: UA-Plat
Posts: 15
Thanks all for all of the suggestions. Yes, this move to CHC is permanent although it'll take 2 years to get residency As for my needs, I'm all good on the spend, it's just the miles that I need so, I'll take some of the suggestions above and run with them to see what I come up with. Obviously, I'd like to keep the cost down since it's just going to be a turnaround mileage run and, not a stop somewhere to enjoy it Thanks again and, if you have any other ideas or good travel deal websites for this side of the world, I'd love to hear them (I had a ton of them for the States but feel like I'm back at square one again )
traveler28 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:16 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,234
So time to change your profile location
What will you travel profile be?
Will UA status be any value?

As time goes on will you be able to get the 4 UA flight requirement & the other UA ffp requirements?
Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Travel deal web sites not common in this part of the world: just direct with the main airlines or major travel agents (packaged tourist holiday market)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 18, 19 at 2:21 pm
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 3:55 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Programs: UA-Plat
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
So time to change your profile location
What will you travel profile be?
Will UA status be any value?

As time goes on will you be able to get the 4 UA flight requirement & the other UA ffp requirements?
Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Travel deal web sites not common in this part of the world: just direct with the main airlines or major travel agents (packaged tourist holiday market)
I will likely switch to Air NZ's loyalty program once the new calendar year begins but, still have a lot of reading, etc... to do to learn about it. I'm so close to hitting the UA status that I figure I'll finish that up and maybe see if Air NZ will do a status match or something like that. I also use the Marriott status match w/ UA so, I'd like to keep that up for another year
traveler28 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 5:09 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,234
Originally Posted by traveler28 View Post
I will likely switch to Air NZ's loyalty program once the new calendar year begins but, still have a lot of reading, etc... to do to learn about it. I'm so close to hitting the UA status that I figure I'll finish that up and maybe see if Air NZ will do a status match or something like that. I also use the Marriott status match w/ UA so, I'd like to keep that up for another year
Air NZ loyalty program is as bad as any ffp can get. And then some. Only useful is flying Air NZ a lot, preferably on expensive tickets, and have non flying activity that can get AirNZ airpoints dollars. I credit my few Air NZ flights to UA. Was VA for a while, until Air NZ & Virgin Australia divorced.

Air NZ will not status match UA (same alliance).
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 5:32 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: BWI/DCA/IAD
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, United Plat (2018:Gold), Marriott Pyrite
Posts: 1,393
One other option is the Premier Accelerator, either using an existing bookings or using a new award booking (which you can cancel later). Remember, you need to get the Award Accelerator (typically 2cpm), and add Premier Accelerator on top of that.

For reference, my last offer was 14cpm...for 5kPQM that's $700. That's only if they offer you what you need, not a whole bunch more (or less).

Still, worth a try. Good luck!
wh6cto is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread