FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   [PREM FARE GONE] CA: YUL-HAV lie flat rt $401 CAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1962078-prem-fare-gone-ca-yul-hav-lie-flat-rt-401-cad.html)

maverikbc Mar 27, 2019 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar (Post 30934841)
I cancelled a CA J ticket last year within 24 hours using a link on the manage bookings page, no calling required. Was painless and was refunded quickly.

EDIT: I paid a $100 cancel fee so was not a 24 hour refund (was on a J ticket I had booked it but found a better deal on ANA) but I did it online.

When I try booking flash sale fares, I like booking on US sites despite paying foreign transaction fees on my credit card because they give us at least 24 hours free cancellation, and clearly stated so. Priceline doesn't seem to count weekends, so if I booked on Friday, they'd give me until Monday to sort out!

For this fare, I tried US sites, but I didn't find any that able to issue tickets to Cuba.

The charge finally posted to my Visa. Is it too early to think CA will honor it?

margarita girl Mar 28, 2019 12:25 am

Originally Posted by LearningToFly (Post 30935622)

Do you know if CA flights to Cuba earn Aeroplan miles?

I didn’t look.

mykel67 Mar 28, 2019 3:04 am

Originally Posted by maverikbc (Post 30937963)
When I try booking flash sale fares, I like booking on US sites despite paying foreign transaction fees on my credit card because they give us at least 24 hours free cancellation, and clearly stated so. Priceline doesn't seem to count weekends, so if I booked on Friday, they'd give me until Monday to sort out!

For this fare, I tried US sites, but I didn't find any that able to issue tickets to Cuba.

The charge finally posted to my Visa. Is it too early to think CA will honor it?

I think someone here booked this for the Easter weekend, so I guess we will find out in three weeks....

flyerCO Mar 28, 2019 6:10 am

Originally Posted by maverikbc (Post 30937963)

US airlines/TA have to ensure the transaction complies with US law regarding Cuban financial transactions. No way to do that for an airline outside the US.

LearningToFly Mar 28, 2019 10:37 am

Ticket confirmed, seats chosen, charge posted to Visa. I'm the one who booked for the Easter weekend. How will I know if the ticket is honoured or not? At the desk? It would be late, since I will have booked hotels by then. What are you doing in such a case? I'm suddenly anxious.

mykel67 Mar 28, 2019 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by LearningToFly (Post 30939459)
Ticket confirmed, seats chosen, charge posted to Visa. I'm the one who booked for the Easter weekend. How will I know if the ticket is honoured or not? At the desk? It would be late, since I will have booked hotels by then. What are you doing in such a case? I'm suddenly anxious.

I think if CA wasn't going to honour the bookings we would have been notified by now. With the YUL-HAV route being such a niche market, I don't imagine too many people took advantage of the pricing error.

If you are concerned, maybe just call customer service with some sort of innocuous question, and while you have someone on the line, ask them to confirm that everything is in order?

LearningToFly Mar 28, 2019 4:08 pm

So I called CA and asked if the tourist visa would be provided by the airline. The rep said yes it would, either at the airport or onboard. I forgot to ask if there was a fee, sorry about that, but I suspect there is none. Nothing seems wrong with the reservation, she confirmed my seats selection in business. Thanks to all for your answers.

LearningToFly Apr 18, 2019 9:32 am

Update. I'm departing tomorrow on CA879 from YUL to HAV. I just tried to check online, and at the very end of the process I got a message telling that my checkin had failed. Tried again, failed again. After that, my reservation just disappeared. Now I get a message saying that it does not exist anymore. It just vanished. I've been on hold with Air China for an hour and still waiting. Any thoughts?

Steveman Apr 18, 2019 4:23 pm

YIKES! I see that you already spoke to them about the visa on March 28 and posted about that, did you check your flight confirmation and info with them at that point? Were you charged the full amount on your credit card? Had you already selected seats?

Please keep us posted.

LearningToFly Apr 19, 2019 1:07 pm

Finally made it

Update. I'm departing tomorrow on CA879 from YUL to HAV. I just tried to check online, and at the very end of the process I got a message telling that my checkin had failed. Tried again, failed again. After that, my reservation just disappeared. Now I get a message saying that it does not exist anymore. It just vanished. I've been on hold with Air China for an hour and still waiting. Any thoughts?

LearningToFly Apr 19, 2019 1:08 pm

Finally made it

margarita girl Apr 19, 2019 1:35 pm

I have a friend who is flying this today. He sent me an email saying that “there is a sign on the check in desk advertising upgrading to business class for $800 CAD ONE WAY! That is double the amount that I paid for a return ticket!” :)

maverikbc Apr 19, 2019 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 31017851)
I have a friend who is flying this today. He sent me an email saying that “there is a sign on the check in desk advertising upgrading to business class for $800 CAD ONE WAY! That is double the amount that I paid for a return ticket!” :)

Your friend is in J?

It sounds like CA is asking a lot of money, although I'm curious how are their soft products like. It's about the same money HX was asking LAX-HKG, and about half for DPS-HKG.

margarita girl Apr 19, 2019 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by maverikbc (Post 31018667)
Your friend is in J?

It sounds like CA is asking a lot of money, although I'm curious how are their soft products like. It's about the same money HX was asking LAX-HKG, and about half for DPS-HKG.

Yes, he got in on this deal.

LearningToFly Apr 20, 2019 6:26 pm

Air China YUL-HAV: no menus (FA says: chicken with rice, beef with rice or steak) no amenity kit, tight seats, very short seats, angled seat on that 787, only Chinese wine (no comment) while CA did not delivered the paid visa (to Cuba) on-board to at least 2 pax, including myself. Lots of trouble.