FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   [PREM FARE GONE] Ac business class | was-lhr rt $1364 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1952441-prem-fare-gone-ac-business-class-lhr-rt-1364-a.html)

dordal Jan 23, 2019 12:21 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30689092)
There were still a few people using present-tense, so I'm genuinely curious.

But then my question is the same. Can we call now?

They've pulled it, so you could probably call now... but unless you're flying in the next few days, or planning to cancel the ticket within 24 hours, why bother? Let the dust settle, let them figure out why the seat selection tool is timing out, and so on... and then if you still really need to call you can. There's zero advantage to calling now.

canadiancow Jan 23, 2019 12:29 am

Originally Posted by dordal (Post 30689210)
They've pulled it, so you could probably call now... but unless you're flying in the next few days, or planning to cancel the ticket within 24 hours, why bother? Let the dust settle, let them figure out why the seat selection tool is timing out, and so on... and then if you still really need to call you can. There's zero advantage to calling now.

Nah, I'm good for a few months. I only booked Memorial Day weekend. The fare wasn't quite at the levels for me to go crazy, especially in a class that may not earn miles.

Adam Smith Jan 23, 2019 12:55 am

Originally Posted by kluever (Post 30688344)
I give this a strong possibility of sticking, given these fares are "very good", but not "insane" (not an obvious mistake).

What makes you say that? The price that AC charges for routes like this is typically well over 2x the amount of this fare. In fact, 2x these fares would be a very good deal most of the time. We'll see whether or not they honour it, but both the insane price and the booking class should have been big red flags, not to mention the inability to get it on the AC site.

MaxVO Jan 23, 2019 12:55 am

... let them figure out why the seat selection tool is timing out, and so on... and then if you still really need to call you can. There's zero advantage to calling now.

This fare is non-refundable after 24 hrs. If there's any chance to be seated in Economy Plus, it's a bad deal. I'll be a skeptic and consider the possibility that the twitter idiot is really an AC shill, and the "error fare" rollout is just a marketing ploy.

Adam Smith Jan 23, 2019 1:03 am

Originally Posted by schnitzer (Post 30688567)
Is anyone able to select seats?
When I try to do it on AC website, it just times out. Suspicious..

Maybe it's not a real Business Class ticket, so the backend rejects the seat selection and times out?

Let the dust settle, let them figure out why the seat selection tool is timing out, and so on... and then if you still really need to call you can.

R class is normally upgrades and you select seats via the upgrade tool, or AC's alternative seat selection site, but the regular seat selection process often doesn't work for upgraded fares either.

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 30689285)
If there's any chance to be seated in Economy Plus, it's a bad deal.

1. AC has Premium Economy, not Economy Plus. One is a wider seat with more legroom and upgraded service. The other is just regular economy with a little more legroom. Very different things.
2. It's not a bad deal for premium economy, as far as usual fares go. Not a screaming deal, but hardly a bad one.

I'll be a skeptic and consider the possibility that the twitter idiot is really an AC shill, and the "error fare" rollout is just a marketing ploy.
That tin foil hat must be overheating your brain.

FlyerTalker70 Jan 23, 2019 1:43 am

I don't see how this could be construed as being an error fare at all. My interpretation of this is that AC is sweating bullets with WS' newest J product to Canada/US from LGW and WS's fare sale that they're simply matching the prices WS is offering (i.e. 1600 GBP return fares from LGW to SFO). If anything I would book hotels and everything else on reliance that the fare is valid to prevent AC re-negging on their competitive response to WS.

My maxim has always been:

There's no such thing as an error fare! There is such a thing as competition and airlines feeling like the competition is breathing down their necks hard and for them to mount a response.
-James

hirohito888 Jan 23, 2019 7:14 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 30689391)
I don't see how this could be construed as being an error fare at all. My interpretation of this is that AC is sweating bullets with WS' newest J product to Canada/US from LGW and WS's fare sale that they're simply matching the prices WS is offering (i.e. 1600 GBP return fares from LGW to SFO).
-James

If it wasn't error fare, why would they code the fare as R, and why was the fare available to DEL, DXB, TLV--markets that WS doesn't even serve.

I didn't book because I didn't want to spend 10h flying without earning any miles, but I do hope AC honors this fare.

kluever Jan 23, 2019 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 30689284)
What makes you say that?

$600 CX F roundtrips is are an insane deal.

​​​​​We've seen sub-$2k US-EU roundtrip J fare sales in the late fall many many times.

margarita girl Jan 23, 2019 7:21 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888 (Post 30690182)
If it wasn't a promotional fare, why would they code the fare as R, and why was the fare available to DEL, DXB, TLV--markets that WS doesn't even serve.

Did you feel the whoosh go right over your head? ;)

(And I fixed that for you.)

hirohito888 Jan 23, 2019 7:27 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 30690204)
Did you feel the whoosh go right over your head? ;)

(And I fixed that for you.)

Yes haha. Still interested in how that R fare plays out, in terms of mileage earning and access to SSL.

justsawaufo Jan 23, 2019 8:03 am

Good news for everyone -
I messaged AC on Twitter an hour ago and they confirmed that the ticket will be honoured. I'm still waiting to hear whether access to signature suite will be granted.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...560d16592.jpeg

RollAnotherFatOne Jan 23, 2019 8:08 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888 (Post 30690182)
If it wasn't error fare, why would they code the fare as R, and why was the fare available to DEL, DXB, TLV--markets that WS doesn't even serve.

But if that's his interpretation then that's fair enough. I also see business fares as 15-20% rebate when things are priced nicely so i didn't opt in on this.

I considered LAS-LHR which was £1k. But I'm booked up all year thanks to LHR-HKG (PR), LHR-LAS (Iberia 90k), and HAN-YVR (CX).

Frayed_Yak Jan 23, 2019 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 30689284)
What makes you say that? The price that AC charges for routes like this is typically well over 2x the amount of this fare. In fact, 2x these fares would be a very good deal most of the time. We'll see whether or not they honour it, but both the insane price and the booking class should have been big red flags, not to mention the inability to get it on the AC site.

There was an AC fare from 2017 MUC-SFO return in business class for about 800 euros and that was honored. There is precedent, especially when it's not a clear "mistake."

justsawaufo Jan 23, 2019 8:39 am

I still can't select seats though. AC are telling me to contact Expedia and Expedia are telling me to contact AC..

TyPo311 Jan 23, 2019 8:41 am

That is great news hopefully it books into Biz and everything.

Anyone flying anytime soon? I'm flying in late February and trying to figure out travel arrangements.