Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

WS: LGW -> YYC/SFO from 1589 GBP return / 890 GBP one-way

Old Jan 19, 19, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Looks like WS has some promo fares to inaugurate their lie-flat J product to YYC including routings stateside:

LGW->YYC - from 1627 GBP roundtrip:
https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...3*2.GBP.162633

LGW->SFO from 1589 GBP roundtrip:
https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...3*2.GBP.158843

LGW->YYC from 890 GBP oneway :
https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...sp:2.GBP.88983

LGW->SFO from 891 GBP oneway:
https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...sp:2.GBP.89023

SFO->LGW from 926 ($1,192 USD) oneway:
https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...sp:2.GBP.92502

Sadly this deal doesn't work in the opposite direction (i.e. YYC->LGW). The flight to/from YYC is non-stop on their signature 787 international J service featuring lie flat beds. The flight to/from SFO has you connect in YYC flying their signature service long haul between YYC and LGW. The domestic portion: YYC -> SFO is booked as PY which by then (I think) will have the Domestic F style cabin (i.e. large seats).

A big unknown surrounding this deal is the quality of WS international J service since they are slated to launch it within the next month or so. That being said, given the outrageous cost it can be at times to fly TATL in J, it seems worthy of mention on this forum. I believe WS flights can credit to a number of partners including DAK and QF.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 19, 19, 1:25 am

maybe you have South America deals?
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jan 19, 19, 8:44 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
I am not sure about that but I noticed WS has installed the same seats in J cabin as AC on their 787 !!
Old Jan 19, 19, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer View Post
I am not sure about that but I noticed WS has installed the same seats in J cabin as AC on their 787 !!
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that AC exclusively had that dumb inflatable bladder solution. That being said, even if WS adopted the same seat, I'd still give it a month or 2 before the bladder becomes worn out. Will be interesting to see what the WS lounge looks like at YYC!

Would appreciate hearing from fellow FTers on this topic.

-James
Old Jan 19, 19, 9:40 am

Programs: LH Senator, AF Silver, BA Bronze
To all those people who are as ignorant as me: WS = Westjet. I had to look it up. :-)
Old Jan 19, 19, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
This must be why BA and AA have been offering cheap BC(CW) fares to some Canadin cities, with final connecting flights on AS/QX and WS.
Old Jan 19, 19, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
This must be why BA and AA have been offering cheap BC(CW) fares to some Canadin cities, with final connecting flights on AS/QX and WS.
Not really. BA has had fare sales in J and F from Europe to the Americas for the past month or so. Some 2nd rate non-alliance airline isn't going to scare them into lowering fares. Their main competition up front is AC (in Canada) and UA/AA/DL in the States.

-James
Old Jan 19, 19, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
Not really. BA has had fare sales in J and F from Europe to the Americas for the past month or so.
Is the premium market ex-LON that weak? Non-U.K. origination poits have always had cheap fares but N/S flights ex-LON?
Old Jan 19, 19, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Is the premium market ex-LON that weak? Non-U.K. origination poits have always had cheap fares but N/S flights ex-LON?
Wouldn't call it weak or anything it's just a different originating market. Fares from Europe to the Americas are often cheaper than the other way around. Probably has something to do with competition and open markets and what not.

-James
Old Jan 19, 19, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wouldn't call it weak or anything it's just a different originating market. Fares from Europe to the Americas are often cheaper than the other way around. Probably has something to do with competition and open markets and what not.
For fares in the back cabin, yes. I always thought BA kept the direct non-stop ex-LON fares in FC and CW/BC high as there was always those in "the City" willing to pay for it. Maybe not so much anymore.
Old Jan 19, 19, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

For fares in the back cabin, yes. I always thought BA kept the direct non-stop ex-LON fares in FC and CW/BC high as there was always those in "the City" willing to pay for it. Maybe not so much anymore.
The other thing to consider is that with Brexit, the UK market will be outside the European market for flights, potentially limiting the volume of connecting passengers they would get from Europe to the US (via LHR). There is a real potential that come April 1st, the load factors for all BA cabins, let alone J may lighten up a great deal.

As per the Chinese curse: May you live in interesting times!

-James
Old Jan 20, 19, 4:21 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2021), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
The other thing to consider is that with Brexit, the UK market will be outside the European market for flights, potentially limiting the volume of connecting passengers they would get from Europe to the US (via LHR). There is a real potential that come April 1st, the load factors for all BA cabins, let alone J may lighten up a great deal.

As per the Chinese curse: May you live in interesting times!

-James
This seems about as likely a Brexit scare story as the one put about a couple of weeks ago that orang-utans were faced with extinction as a result of Brexit (they donít, of course, live on the continent of Europe).

First off, BA has always had F and J sales at this time of year. Second, much of the action is focused on July and August when business travel is traditionally weak and third, the entire global economy appears to be weakening at the moment and the UK is not immune.
Old Jan 20, 19, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
No reason for fewer connecting passengers - some may choose not to do a stopover if visa rules change but connections are not impacted.

BA has no EU to EU flights so impact is low. Iberia is a bigger issue as it can be seen as a non-EU airline based on shareholdings.
Old Jan 20, 19, 11:27 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by planestupid View Post
To all those people who are as ignorant as me: WS = Westjet. I had to look it up. :-)
Well known to us Canadians

Suppose one would want to check in case it's something good elsewhere, but the city codes kind of give away the airline

Search this Thread
Search Engine: