Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] MIA-GRU under $400 Biz class B787

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] MIA-GRU under $400 Biz class B787

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: *A S, AS MVP, ST E+, HH P, IHG Plat, Bonvoy G,
Did anyone have any luck cancelling or changing this fare? From my conversations, cancellation was not allowed (which I knew already from previous posts) but some changes were allowed. I was told I have to fly out before my current flight date if I wanted to change my destination. Since I was to fly out this weekend, this is not possible for me so I'd likely have to just eat this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:49 am
AOH

Originally Posted by xedubx
Did anyone have any luck cancelling or changing this fare? From my conversations, cancellation was not allowed (which I knew already from previous posts) but some changes were allowed. I was told I have to fly out before my current flight date if I wanted to change my destination. Since I was to fly out this weekend, this is not possible for me so I'd likely have to just eat this.
Who did you call? I'd like to change my itinerary but avoided calling the airline-- didn't want to risk get the ticket cancelled.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: *A S, AS MVP, ST E+, HH P, IHG Plat, Bonvoy G,
Originally Posted by AOH
Who did you call? I'd like to change my itinerary but avoided calling the airline-- didn't want to risk get the ticket cancelled.
I called the OTA I booked with. FWIW, I was OK with my flight getting cancelled/re-priced when changed hence why I called.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:36 am
AOH

Flew from Miami on the 17th. Absolutely no problem, everything went smoothly!
Noticed two families flying the same route/itinerary... perhaps from FT?
Safe travels everyone!
dugb likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AOH
Flew from Miami on the 17th. Absolutely no problem, everything went smoothly!
Noticed two families flying the same route/itinerary... perhaps from FT?
Safe travels everyone!
Actually, most of my flight out to GRU were people who got on the mistake fare, but mostly not FT. I didn't enquire about how they got on the fare, but I suspect SF. Some of them were flying Prem for the very first time in their lives, and the check in agents did nothing to enlighten them about their lounge options.

I'm now in GRU on my way back to MIA. Still in J

Happy travels!
dugb likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: Skymiles, AAdvantage
Where to stay in Mex & lounge options

We are flying at the end of the week and wondering about where best to stay in Mex during the layovers. On the way down, our layover will be 11 hours and on the way back it will be 15 hours.
Also wondering what lounge access we may have in MIA, MEX, and GRU.
Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by dugb
We are flying at the end of the week and wondering about where best to stay in Mex during the layovers. On the way down, our layover will be 11 hours and on the way back it will be 15 hours.
Thanks.
I was thinking about staying at the airport's Courtyard on the bride and ditching 4th leg altogether on the way back and staying in Mexico City for 5 nights in some nice hotel.
dugb likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dugb
Thanks.
MIA - crappy Delta lounge; MEX - salon VIP Aeromexico (so-so); GRU - Gol. Centurion lounges also an option. Keep in mind that MEX lounges in T2 aren't 24 hrs. On the way out in MEX, I just sat at the airport for the 3 hours when the lounge was closed. According to another passenger, there's a capsule hotel in the MEX airport. On the way back I am now at HR Mex City - decided to take a walk around town.
dugb likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Flew out from MIA on Saturday night 11/17 (apparently with 2+ other FTer families)

Flight ALMOST didn't happen. I misread the Brazil e-visa thing after buying the deal and thought they were instant upon arrival. Instead we submitted our visa requests at the official site online for $44USD each (which takes "5 working days and cannot be expedited") this Wednesday--just two working days before our trip. Amazingly they were issued a day later, with exception of my son's which was issued two days later (they WANT a full size pdf but ask for a child's birth certificate in a crazy low pixel count resolution). I think we got really lucky because it wasn't peak tourism time in Brazil.

AM 787-8 is nice, 787-9 on today's return flight is even nicer (with a mini "bar/lounge" mid cabin)

In addition to the GRU lounge mentioned above, there is an arrival/departure priority pass lounge directly to the right of the D checkin area from the outside curb. Pretty tiny but was a good way to cost Priority Pass $27x3.

Rented a car and stayed at the Grand Hyatt which was excellent (our flight crew stayed there Sat/Sun on a long layover and flew the return leg with us today!)

Asked agent in GRU to change our last leg MEX-MIA and his eyes got wide. He gave us a high 5 and told us we got a great promotional price. He was amazed that it was far less than his employee benefit price. He said there was absolutely no way to change our last leg without repricing things to the tune of many thousands of dollars.

Nothing wrong with this but don't expect much (ANY) english comprehension in GRU, aside from a few words at airport check-in, and at an American hotel chain. Far different experience than Europe/S. Korea/UAE where younger generations all seem to have multi-lingual education, or the countries we have visited that have English (often higher priced) menus everywhere.

Saddest part was leaving GRU airport and seeing lots of airlines we have not had the chance to fly yet.. GOL, TAM, Avianca Brazil, Azul.
dugb likes this.

Last edited by expert7700; Nov 20, 2018 at 1:41 pm
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I know this is outside the realm of the fare, but since it's dead, chatter is no biggie. I've been to GRU, so with some 7 days, I used my stash of Skypesos for a trip to Argentina - spent a grand total of 50,000 Skypesos + $45 for 4 flights. I booked GRU-AEP for 12,500 Skypesos + $30 to spend two nights in Buenos Aires (and the excellent Park Hyatt Buenos Aires), which is just a short local bus ride from Aeroparque Airport. I spent 3 nights in Ushuaia, using 12,500 Skypesos + $3. I then flew from Ushuaia to Puerto Iguazu for 12,500 Skypesos + $4 (USH-AEP-IGR). Lastly, I flew from Foz do Iguassu for 12,500 Skypesos + $8 (IGU-CGH). The first three flights were with Aerolineas Argentinas; the last one with GOL.

Returning to the airport from Hyatt Regency Mexico city in the wee hours of the morning was a breeze. It took about 30 mins (no traffic), and cost 130 pesos with Uber.
dugb likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by solewalker
I know this is outside the realm of the fare, but since it's dead, chatter is no biggie. I've been to GRU, so with some 7 days, I used my stash of Skypesos for a trip to Argentina - spent a grand total of 50,000 Skypesos + $45 for 4 flights. I booked GRU-AEP for 12,500 Skypesos + $30 to spend two nights in Buenos Aires (and the excellent Park Hyatt Buenos Aires), which is just a short local bus ride from Aeroparque Airport. I spent 3 nights in Ushuaia, using 12,500 Skypesos + $3. I then flew from Ushuaia to Puerto Iguazu for 12,500 Skypesos + $4 (USH-AEP-IGR). Lastly, I flew from Foz do Iguassu for 12,500 Skypesos + $8 (IGU-CGH). The first three flights were with Aerolineas Argentinas; the last one with GOL.

Returning to the airport from Hyatt Regency Mexico city in the wee hours of the morning was a breeze. It took about 30 mins (no traffic), and cost 130 pesos with Uber.
An excellent use of DL SkyMiles. I found them great for Mexico and areas further south, but rather poor in Asia. Good to see them worth something.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
To the dad with two sons flying on this fare: your sons were way too comfortable with flying and you probably spoil them with flying J too much :P
dugb likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:59 pm
AOH

My miles from the 17th haven't posted to delta yet. Did anyone get theirs?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:35 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AOH
My miles from the 17th haven't posted to delta yet. Did anyone get theirs?
When I booked it on Expedia, it didn't stick, so I had to fill up the missing Skymiles form. The first half of my trip has been credited.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: Not enough to count anymore
Looking forward to this trip in Jan over my birthday. Got a traditional visa which was pain but wanted it for the land border crossings I will do in IGU. Then we head to Rio and I’ll be on the beach until returning.

Does anyone have experience applying for Mexico’s version of global entry? I will be applying on a layover to wife’s family for Christmas to hopefully make these transits easier since immigration at MEX is a joke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.