Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Stockholm to Austin, SAS , 12 Mar 2018. €60 one-way /€100 return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Not sure if this has been discussed already, but SAS are offering dirt cheap tickets on their temporary Stockholm to Austin route which operates on March 8th and 12th. For the second rotation on the 12th of March it's possible to book a same plane turnaround for €100 using an OTA or €180 when booking through the SAS website.

The fare is only valid for travel on March 12 and can be booked on SAS website or through an online travel agency. You have to book it as two separate one-way tickets to get the special price.

It books into booking class T which earns 4500 points per way to SAS EuroBonus or 100% to Aegean Miles&Bonus. A great mileage run if you're collecting points with EuroBonus.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by LH4116
Not sure if this has been discussed already, but SAS are offering dirt cheap tickets on their temporary Stockholm to Austin route which operates on March 8th and 12th. For the second rotation on the 12th of March it's possible to book a same plane turnaround for €100 using an OTA or €180 when booking through the SAS website.

The fare is only valid for travel on March 12 and can be booked on SAS website or through an online travel agency. You have to book it as two separate one-way tickets to get the special price.

It books into booking class T which earns 4500 points per way to SAS EuroBonus or 100% to Aegean Miles&Bonus. A great mileage run if you're collecting points with EuroBonus.
That is a great fare, I have not done a same plane turn in the US I wonder how doable that is in AUS, theres a 2 hour window
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
God this is so tempting!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: SK EBG *G
Thanks for the find, seems to be gone now though. Would definitely have booked this if it were available, need those last points. SAS if you read this, open up some more seats or call me

Edit: Seems to be available on SAS if you book two one ways.

Last edited by mannen; Feb 20, 2018 at 3:57 am
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by mannen
Thanks for the find, seems to be gone now though. Would definitely have booked this if it were available, need those last points. SAS if you read this, open up some more seats or call me
Still available on March 12
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
To me it still looks bookable. Try some of the OTAs on momondo.it

I really like this fare, but there are too many factors which make it unviable. Firstly, my A3 qualifying year starts a week later on the 20th March. Positioning flights alone would push it up at least another 100 EUR and the 2 hour turnaround at AUS is also questionable. Being stuck in Texas might make this trip mighty expensive to get back to Europe!

That said, over 11,000 Aegean miles for the taking if you start at OSL (OSL-ARN-AUS//AUS-ARN) for around 150 EUR.

What are these flights about anyway? Why are they only on 2 dates?

EDIT: So this is why.....

http://www.austintexas.gov/news/scandinavian-airlines-sas-adds-stockholm-austin-sxsw-2018

https://www.sxsw.com/

Last edited by headingwest; Feb 20, 2018 at 4:02 am
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
To me it still looks bookable. Try some of the OTAs on momondo.it

I really like this fare, but there are too many factors which make it unviable. Firstly, my A3 qualifying year starts a week later on the 20th March. Positioning flights alone would push it up at least another 100 EUR and the 2 hour turnaround at AUS is also questionable. Being stuck in Texas might make this trip mighty expensive to get back to Europe!

That said, over 11,000 Aegean miles for the taking if you start at OSL (OSL-ARN-AUS//AUS-ARN) for around 150 EUR.

What are these flights about anyway? Why are they only on 2 dates?

EDIT: So this is why.....

https://www.sxsw.com/]AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin[/url]

I figured it was for a event of somesort thanks for the link! Goin over the plus and J cabins ate empty so prime for upgrade chances coming back J is quite full.

still on sale at SAS and OTAs.

I am flipping a coin, decent RDM and EQM prices

I would say its a fairly safe transfer IF they can print the BPs at ARN for the return portion? I doubt AUS is a super busy port at those hours
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:14 am

You can actually buy a round trip to AUS from ARN for the same day return so it seems even SAS thinks its doable, of course the RT is not 178€ but full flex ��
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by kauppias
You can actually buy a round trip to AUS from ARN for the same day return so it seems even SAS thinks its doable, of course the RT is not 178€ but full flex ��
No need to clear immigration at ARN, unlike at AUS
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
No need to clear immigration at ARN, unlike at AUS

That is true if you transit non schengen to non schengen but the same plane turn around happens at AUS so hence the worry ��
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:08 am

Personally I would be quite worried at AUS.

I think this fare is a great way to get one-way across the pond cheaply (from either side) while earning a nice amount of miles, but I wouldn't want to book a turnaround.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
That is a great fare, I have not done a same plane turn in the US I wonder how doable that is in AUS, theres a 2 hour window
Shouldn’t be a problem. Same plane in and out, customs and immigration at AUS is usually fairly efficient, security too, and the terminal is fairly small.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
That's about 90 minutes longer than needed if you have Global Entry and Precheck .

I know everyone doesn't of course. But, still, the full run through should take 30-45 minutes without. Even if one was sent to secondary, still shouldn't be an issue to go within two hours. AUS isn't a large airport, and security checkpoints are right upstairs from the customs exit in the same building.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer

Shouldn’t be a problem. Same plane in and out, customs and immigration at AUS is usually fairly efficient, security too, and the terminal is fairly small.
Exactly. If you don't check luggage, you should be through immigration & customs (they're mostly combined) within seconds of entering the immigration hall. If you do check luggage, maybe 20-30 min.

Re-clearing security could take a while. Just remember that there are 3 security checkpoints, so if one is crowded, go to another. Usually the one near the lower gate numbers is less busy.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:19 pm

Would love to hear if anyone has made a return booking, and also how it goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.