FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   [PREM FARE GONE] AF Business Class LAX - LHR $1515 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1883560-prem-fare-gone-af-business-class-lax-lhr-1515-a.html)

PV_Premier Dec 20, 2017 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 29197000)
Update: My rep is N. America based DL and says that they can "Try to put me in Economy" but AF made a mistake so I can not fly in first class. I told them that if they can manipulate me into economy they can manipulate me into First class too. I may have also said I had no clue I was buying an "Error....."

also who in their right mind would accept economy at $1500, what a jerk. when DL themselves semi-regularly sells SFO-LON for under $600.

if they want to offer me J at $1500, i might accept it, if they bucketed it in full J with the same flexibility.

taxicabnumber Dec 20, 2017 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 29197041)
Updated Update: Per DL CS agent, AF will be contacting (via phone) everyone who booked through them. I will continue to wait :confused:

Got this as well.

mills1090 Dec 20, 2017 8:33 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 29197146)
also who in their right mind would accept economy at $1500, what a jerk. when DL themselves semi-regularly sells SFO-LON for under $600.

if they want to offer me J at $1500, i might accept it, if they bucketed it in full J with the same flexibility.

And they currently have a sale from SFO to a few cities in Europe for ~$400.

btonkid12345 Dec 20, 2017 8:46 am

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber (Post 29197162)
Got this as well.

Me too - I had a DL agent who received JV authorization to reissue my ticket with DL flight numbers, but then the authorization was not given by GTS. I am not sure how the JV Desk versus Global Ticketing Support Supervisors work in terms of authority in relation to one another.

The DL agent was very kind and professional, originally putting me in J all the way then changing the long-haul to F when I pointed it out. She stated AF filed these fares unintentionally, but could not provide an objective definition of unintentional. She said she wished this was DL metal all the way because it would be honored in an instant - "That is how Delta does it" she said.

She mentioned a bulletin to agents that AF would be personally reaching out to affected passengers with options, and said the options could be decent ones. She profusely apologized and agreed that it was unprofessional to void tickets without any semblance of proactive communication to passengers.

She said that AF was beginning to void DL-issued tickets as well - anything that was issued using the "unintentional" AF fares. She said DL could rebook customers on DL tickets at current fares (LOL).

With regards to those folks who flamed a few pages back when I referenced the DOT rules of nonrefundable expenses - I never said I wanted to make money off of it. I do not want to lose money from other nonrefundable expenses associated with this reservation, as the DOT also states and finds reasonable. These nonrefundable expenses convinced DL to honor some tickets last go around (which I did not avail, because I did not need), and I'm saying something similar could work with AF, because AF would have to dole out real cash on top of refunds of reservations.

irishguy28 Dec 20, 2017 8:51 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 (Post 29197213)
With regards to those folks who flamed a few pages back when I referenced the DOT rules of nonrefundable expenses - I never said I wanted to make money off of it. I do not want to lose money from other nonrefundable expenses associated with this reservation, as the DOT also states and finds reasonable. These nonrefundable expenses convinced DL to honor some tickets last go around (which I did not avail, because I did not need), and I'm saying something similar could work with AF, because AF would have to dole out real cash on top of refunds of reservations.

We understand that. But there is no point in throwing good money after bad.

Just because you have health insurance, you don't go out of your way to cause yourself an injury or illness that will require hospital treatment, on the logic that it should, in the end, cost you nothing and you should therefore definitely make sure to "exercise" that right; in the present case, when it should have been apparent to you that these tickets were unlikely to be honoured, you should not have then added further costs that you may end up bearing yourself, particularly when the best you could hope for is to to get back to the same situation you would have been in had you not bought those further nonrefundable items.

btonkid12345 Dec 20, 2017 8:57 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 29197224)
We understand that. But there is no point in throwing good money after bad.

Just because you have health insurance, you don't go out of your way to cause yourself an injury or illness that will require hospital treatment, on the logic that it should, in the end, cost you nothing and you should therefore definitely make sure to "exercise" that right; in the present case, when it should have been apparent to you that these tickets were unlikely to be honoured, you should not have then added further costs that you may end up bearing yourself, particularly when the best you could hope for is to to get back to the same situation you would have been in had you not bought those further nonrefundable items.

Buying an airline ticket for leisure has nothing to do with health insurance in case of an unforeseeable occurrence. The logic between the examples doesn't hold.

Someone plans a trip. They plan the whole trip. That is generally responsible, or convenient for some folks. If the airline wants to renege on the contract, on them - but they can expect this person to politely but firmly hold them to the applicable rules and regulations. That's all. AF and KL would happily hold me to the fare rules of any of my tickets that I agreed to when purchasing - its only right they be held to the same standard of applying the rules surgically to them.

irishguy28 Dec 20, 2017 9:03 am

You're booking well in advance, right?

AF cancelling this ticket doesn't mean you have to cancel your plans. You will either get a full refund (and can rebook travel, presumably on another carrier) or be accomodated in a different class of travel if you accept that arrangement with AF.

But either way, their "reneging" on your contract doesn't necessitate you to change your holiday plans. You've planned the whole thing - got time off work, etc etc - so having to rebook air tickets isn't an insurmountable blow to your holiday plans. You were so determined to go on these dates that you committed to non-refundable additional expenses, after all.

As such, to expect AF to pay you back non-refundable hotels, etc - if not purchased in the same transaction as the flights - is a very, very big ask. As you say yourself, "someone plans a trip. They plan a whole trip". But you didn't plan your whole trip with Air France, and there is no reason why you can't travel, particularly once you get the refund and can buy a new ticket with that same money.

Governator Dec 20, 2017 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 29197041)
Updated Update: Per DL CS agent, AF will be contacting (via phone) everyone who booked through them. I will continue to wait :confused:

All my itins disappeared last night. This morning I got a very nice cancellation phone call from AirFrance, from a Amsterdam number. A polite young lady, I didn't argue, just thanked her. Nice personal touch.

flying_donkeys12 Dec 20, 2017 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Governator (Post 29197278)
All my itins disappeared last night. This morning I got a very nice cancellation phone call from AirFrance, from a Amsterdam number. A polite young lady, I didn't argue, just thanked her. Nice personal touch.

So much for the AF agents offering up some "options". My two RT tickets in August were cancelled last night. No phone call for me as of yet. Would love to negotiate it into two business class tickets for the same time frame. Though I highly doubt my negotiation skills are that good.

btonkid12345 Dec 20, 2017 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Governator (Post 29197278)

No wonder airlines get away with it...when folks don't even object to it and just take it because the phone call is polite...

thexfactor Dec 20, 2017 9:19 am

Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12 (Post 29197314)

So much for the AF agents offering up some "options". My two RT tickets in August were cancelled last night. No phone call for me as of yet. Would love to negotiate it into two business class tickets for the same time frame. Though I highly doubt my negotiation skills are that good.

Don't sell yourself short. If Clinton could negotiate himself into impeachment but out of conviction, you can do this.

Eh, who am I kidding, we all know the French are tougher than Congress.

Colin Dec 20, 2017 9:20 am

Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12 (Post 29197314)

business class, and drop the LHR segments. that I would do for $1500 roundtrip nonstop to Paris.

oh well, at least I made 50 bucks on it from TopCashBack

thexfactor Dec 20, 2017 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 29197336)
oh well, at least I made 50 bucks on it from TopCashBack

Not so much. Pending =/= posting.

High likelihood of that either never posting or being clawed back.

Madone59 Dec 20, 2017 9:25 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 (Post 29197324)
No wonder airlines get away with it...when folks don't even object to it and just take it because the phone call is polite...

If it makes you feel better I plan on objecting. If I make a mistake at my job I eat it, and when I was in retail and undercharged someone we ate it - restaurants don't get to chase us into the parking lot and demand more money because they forgot to put dessert on the bill!

What is next an airline is having a sale to a city, the city becomes outrageously popular for hosting an emergency Superbowl and the airline gets to say "We didn't mean to charge that little." ??

Did anyone else purchase with AMEX? I put this on a plat card - think I could sic them on AF??

flying_donkeys12 Dec 20, 2017 9:29 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 (Post 29197324)

get away with it?? If someone believed that they could get an $8,000 plus ticket for the price of $248 ( this was the fare before taxes bringing it to $1500) then I am really at a loss for words. What I think it is if a bunch of folks with pent up anger now trying to alleviate it on flyer talk. AF is not going to reimburse you for any expenses you may have incurred within the 24hrs for them to cancel these fares. I personally am not upset at all. I am sad they did not stick, but I knew the chances these fares were honored was less than .001% I do believe it is outrageous to believe that someone booked these once in a lifetime deal tickets, and then proceeded to book every non refundable item they could as quickly as possible, or cancel tickets that were already held for such a trip instantly. If someone booked these tickets for immediate travel than yes they may have a leg to stand on. Otherwise it seems to be a case of folks trying to take advantage of a situation.