Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:23 pm

Trying to reach Exec Platinum this year - would prefer avoiding a super long economy flight (e.g. JFK to HKG), was hoping to find some shorter flights, perhaps ticketed in premium economy/business/first class to reach my EQM goal quicker.

Departure Airport(s): NYC, perhaps PHL
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 14,937 EQMs
EQDs Needed: none
Max Budget: $1300
Available Travel Dates: preferably Dec 7-9, but can also do Dec 28-30, after 4pm on Friday
Max # Travel Nights: 2, preferably 1
AA only, or Partners Okay: both are fine
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): no

Last edited by bretterer; Oct 29, 2018 at 9:00 pm
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by campanones
Looking to reach Platinum Pro currently 55K EQMs but plan to have a couple more 1K trips prior to end of year. Already at $ 9,000 EQDs
Departure Airport(s):
MIA/FLL
EQMs or EQSs Needed: EQM: 15k to 18K Miles
EQDs Needed: Not needed
Max Budget: Preferably Under $1000
Available Travel Dates: Long weekends (Thursday-Tuesday) or weekends.
Max # Travel Nights: 2-5 (not including flying nights)
AA only, or Partners Okay: Flexible as long as it gets me AA EQMs
The suggestion I made just above would earn you just a bit under 15k EQM.
Or MIA-LHR-FCO RT on Dec 7-11 (overnight in LON) BA PE is $1009, just under 16k EQM.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Looking to hit Exec. Platinum, but need one more trip to do so! Hoping to find an Premium Economy or First Class ticket domestically or to Europe instead of hitting China, but can use that as a last resort if needed...

Departure Airport(s):
AUS, DFW, IAH, SAT
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 15,610 EQMs
Max Budget: $700
Available Travel Dates: Nov 16-18, Dec 7-9, Dec 14-16
AA only, or Partners Okay: both are fine
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Yes
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Bonvoy Titanium, United Silver, various other midtier rankings
Departure Airport(s): DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 3,500 EQMs
EQDs Needed: None
Max Budget: Better than $515 on a same day turn
Available Travel Dates: Every Saturday between now and the end of the year, excluding 11/3, 11/17 and 11/24
Max # Travel Nights: 1
AA only, or Partners Okay: Prefer same-day turn, so probably only AA. Willing to listen to interesting ideas.
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y

I don't need a lot. I have one same-day turn in F on hold, but I'm hoping to do better than $515 for 3,500 EQMs. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Hey Guys,

Longtime follower, first-time poster. Looking for some assistance with year end runs so I can hold onto AA platinum status for 2019.

EQMs or EQSs Needed: 17,500 EQM or 14 EQS
EQDs Needed: N/A
Max Budget: $1,200 but obviously cheaper the better
Available Travel Dates: Anytime, prefer weekend turns.
Max # Travel Nights: 2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners Okay
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Currently Platinum Pro, and looking to get to Executive Platinum. I only need the EQMs and have the EQDs covered.

I was thinking I could do a Premium Economy flight to Athens, but it is my understanding that only those segments of the flight that have Premium Economy would get the 1.5x multiplier...

Would prefer a European Destination or maybe somewhere Down Under, but can do Asia (just been there a lot recently).

Appreciate any available help.

Departure Airport(s): SJC (Preferred, but SFO is fine)
EQMs: 21758 EQM
Max Budget: $1,300
Available Travel Dates: Anytime, prefer weekend turns. before Christmas (weekdays are fine)
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingJay
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 3,500 EQMs
Max Budget: Better than $515 on a same day turn
Available Travel Dates: Every Saturday between now and the end of the year, excluding 11/3, 11/17 and 11/24
Max # Travel Nights: 1
AA only, or Partners Okay: Prefer same-day turn, so probably only AA. Willing to listen to interesting ideas.

I don't need a lot. I have one same-day turn in F on hold, but I'm hoping to do better than $515 for 3,500 EQMs. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
A SEA RT for $251 earns 3320 EQM. And you can add LAX to make it long enough for $320. Yes, those are Econ fares, not BE.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by thomas.mills
Hey Guys,

Longtime follower, first-time poster. Looking for some assistance with year end runs so I can hold onto AA platinum status for 2019.

EQMs or EQSs Needed: 17,500 EQM or 14 EQS
EQDs Needed: N/A
Max Budget: $1,200 but obviously cheaper the better
Available Travel Dates: Anytime, prefer weekend turns.
Max # Travel Nights: 2
I really don't think this is practical.
In Econ, a RT to SE Asia (SIN/SGN/etc) would suffice if you could fly it all as AA-marketed, but that seems to cost at least $1550. You can do it cheaper with CX- or JL-marketed which only earns .5x EQM.
In PE, you need a spot far enough into Europe; DFW-LHR-HEL-LHR-DFW just barely does the trick for $1326. But it requires 3 travel nights.
In Biz, almost 9000 physical miles on AA would do; but you're not going to find anything outside the US for anywhere close to $2000 much less $1200. You could make multiple trips like the one I suggested above, but that's still going to cost $1500 or worse and tie up 4-5 (non-consecutive) days.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by fiannce314159
Currently Platinum Pro, and looking to get to Executive Platinum. I only need the EQMs and have the EQDs covered.

I was thinking I could do a Premium Economy flight to Athens, but it is my understanding that only those segments of the flight that have Premium Economy would get the 1.5x multiplier...

Would prefer a European Destination or maybe somewhere Down Under, but can do Asia (just been there a lot recently).

Appreciate any available help.

Departure Airport(s): SJC (Preferred, but SFO is fine)
EQMs: 21758 EQM
Max Budget: $1,300
Available Travel Dates: Anytime, prefer weekend turns. before Christmas (weekdays are fine)
You are correct about PE earning, but you're not going to find a PE trip to ATH for anywhere close to $1300 anyway. Or Australia.
However, flights to PEK are cheap, and since you're one of the lucky few with a visa, you can do that in PE for as little as $1000 and earn 19,368 EQM. For the remaining $300 you can do a quick run to any of DFW/ORD/MIA to make up the rest.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Ok guys, need a couple of ideas here. Not a lot of time to accomplish this with my work schedule, but with my current projections, this is where I will be for hitting EXP. Any ideas for something quick and efficient? I am too close to not make it! Thanks in advance!

EQMs or EQSs Needed: 3,700 EQMs (would like to shoot for maybe around 4,000 just to have a little fluff for my calculations)
Max Budget: $300
Available Travel Dates: Any upcoming weekend except Nov 9th, anytime Thanksgiving/Christmas week. Can flex weekends to be off Friday and/or Monday if needed.
Max # Travel Nights: 0-2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): No
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: one world
Hi guys, newbie to the forums but I have learned a lot!

last year I had gold due to a new job that required travel. This year I have been platinum and I was on track to reach Platinum Pro for 2019 but had to cancel some trips so now I am short on EQM. I need to travel almost every other week next year so I would like the perks of not having to use 500 mile upgrade and looking at doing a mile run.

​​​​​​Departure Airport(s): MSP, RST
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 9,300 EQM
Max Budget: $800
Available Travel Dates: Nov. 17-19, Nov.24-26, Dec. 15-16, Dec. 27-29th...I can be flexible with a day or two more within my available dates.
Max # Travel Nights: 1-3
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:20 am

First of all...last year towards the end of the year I was still gold and looking to get to platinum, but after coming here I was able to get to platinum pro. (And got bumped from premium economy to business class for one 14-hour leg of that trip!) This year I have been greatly enjoying platinum pro since I've done a lot of cross-US flying and been upgraded numerous times. It was totally worth it! Thank you everyone!

Departure Airport(s): NYC (can travel to PHL or BOS if necessary)
EQMs: I have 61,386 EQMs
EQDs Needed: None, I have 12,800 EQDs
Max Budget: Flexible
Available Travel Dates: Late November through the end of the year
Max # Travel Nights: 7
AA only, or Partners Okay: Whatever gets me the status

I've seen a number of posts here with ways to get the 14k EQMs I need to get to plat pro. But since I've already got the EQDs covered, how cheaply could I get to executive platinum? I guess this boils down to sheer EQM / $. Any suggestions?

Also, what's the situation on upgrades for MRs? From what I've read here it sounds like 500-mile upgrades are mostly useless on MRs because they only work on domestic flights. But what if I buy an economy ticket for the MR and then upgrade using points? Would I still get the status from the MR or would redeeming the points screw that up somehow?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:52 am

First time to Executive Platinum

Departure Airport(s): ORD
EQMs: I should have 94,156 EQMs by Dec 15th
Max Budget: Flexible
Available Travel Dates: Not between Nov 13 &23 or Dec 5 & 15
Max # Travel Nights: preferably same day or plus 1 day
AA only, or Partners Okay: Whatever gets me the status
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:45 am

Departure Airport(s): ORD
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 7,500 EQMs
EQDs Needed: $800
Max Budget: $850
Available Travel Dates: Flexible
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Yes

TIA!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by joepercussion1
Ok guys, need a couple of ideas here. Not a lot of time to accomplish this with my work schedule, but with my current projections, this is where I will be for hitting EXP. Any ideas for something quick and efficient? I am too close to not make it! Thanks in advance!

EQMs or EQSs Needed: 3,700 EQMs (would like to shoot for maybe around 4,000 just to have a little fluff for my calculations)
Max Budget: $300
Available Travel Dates: Any upcoming weekend except Nov 9th, anytime Thanksgiving/Christmas week. Can flex weekends to be off Friday and/or Monday if needed.
Max # Travel Nights: 0-2
The suggestion I made above is 3,849 EQM for $320. If you really want 4000 for $300 you might be ble to play with the routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.