FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   [FARE GONE] BCN-SIN Business Class on Air Berlin 330 and Etihad 787 485 euros RT! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1768158-fare-gone-bcn-sin-business-class-air-berlin-330-etihad-787-485-euros-rt.html)

tymoon25 Jun 2, 2016 5:37 am

They don't even answer to my e-mails. I might just also ask for the chargeback if they intend to keep my money for weeks...

cln Jun 2, 2016 6:59 am

i always call the platinum hotline, the normal hotline cant do anything...

now tripsta finally sees that airberlin has authorized a refund but :

At this moment we can process the Refund Application. But please check the note that the airline leave to us in the system:

33.SSROTHS1PPARTIAL REFUND AUTHORIZED BY AB

As you can check, we have an authorization for a partial refund, in this case we can not guarantee that the airline will provide the full refund for the tickets.
trying to call AB again to check on this.....

after the call:

they made a mistake once again and now claim it is set to full refund. Sending an email to tripsta now and hope the refund will be processed then

YuropFlyer Jun 2, 2016 7:10 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko (Post 26709596)
European airline, european departure airport.... Pretty strict regulations ;)

They can cancel 15 days in advance, refund your money.. that's your "rights" as a customer in the EU.. nothing more, nothing less (Of course, no half-sane airline would do that on a regular purchased fare)

maudline9 Jun 3, 2016 7:50 am

Booked 4 tickets, checked this morning and all downgraded to economy - nothing but bad news everytime i book with Tripsta :td: - i'll get a full refund

Gamecock Jun 3, 2016 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Atrofede (Post 26706497)
Hi everybody,

What would you do guys?

Thanks for your help!

Perhaps post this in the appropriate section?

El Puerco Volante Jun 3, 2016 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Atrofede (Post 26706497)
Hi everybody,

Few days ago I bought a business class return trip from PMI to BKK with Air Berlin / Etihad. I have to say the fares in the www.airberlin.com website were quite affordable and, for once in my life, I swapped travelling in the middle seat of Row 41 for the wide-seat + pajamas option.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But today I got this mail from the Air Berlin Customer Service:

Due to a technical error, the price you paid for your journey was displayed incorrectly in our systems and is not a valid price for this itinerary in the Business Class compartment.

We apologize for the inconvenience and in order to honor your travel request, we offer you either

(i) to fly Economy Class at the same fare; or

(ii) to refund your ticket.

We have already rebooked your itinerary to Economy Class and sent your revised booking separately. If you prefer instead to select to have your ticket refunded, please contact us at...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do they have any right to do this?

I´ve been checking their General Terms and Conditions of Carriage (GTACC) (aka. the contract with rights and responsibilities both parts have agreed when booking and paying) and there´s no way they can plea "price displayed incorrectly" for downgrading us back to Row 41.

Air Berlin´s GTACC: https:/…ABB_en.pdf

4. Prices / Payment
4.1 Fares
4.1.1 The services and prices in the booking confirmation apply.

What would you do guys?

Thanks for your help!

There are no "pajamas" in AB/EY C, so even if your error fare would have been honored you would not be getting any. "Wide-seat" part is also debatable, I would rather say "wider then Y" ;)

Regards,

El Puerco Volante

MattEvan Jun 3, 2016 4:48 pm

I hope you pursue this and find a way for them to honor or compensate you for your lost time and effort. The arduous consumer protections in the EU could help!

keitherson Jun 3, 2016 5:27 pm

Well.. how much did you pay?

scibuff Jun 3, 2016 6:02 pm

1) you may try to play dumb and call airberlin that you purchased business class flights and now your itinerary has changed incorrectly into economy - you might get lucky and the agent will "fix" it for you ;)

2) As for the other option to pursue this with consumer protections in EU, well, it is not at all as clear as it used to be in the US (before the DoT's UA ruling last year). Namely, EU courts in Austria/Germany iirc ruled that if a price looks "obviously" to be an error, the airline does not need to honor it. Then, I remember someone sassy taking screenshot of OS latest promotions showing economy prices on ads with photos of passengers and equipment clearly taken in business class ("deceiving" a potential customer) for the next such case, just to be able to throw it in their faces with "here, look at these ads".

This is the AB error fare posted here last week I believe. IIRC it was fixed within minutes. I can't really see how one would honestly argue that paying ~200 EUR for Europe to Asia business class seemed possible (i.e. not an obvious error). Please note that this has nothing to do with whether or not you're a blogger or an FQTV who looks for these kind of error fares, or a person who happened to stumble across the fare. The aforementioned court case in Austria/Germany involved a person who belongs to neither group and the court didn't see that to be of any relevance for the ruling.

It is possible that courts in Spain would rule differently than German/Austrian courts.

To be honest, unless you have the will, time and resources to pursue this to an end, your best bet is probably asking for ~10,000 AirBerlin miles as a compensation

Palal Jun 3, 2016 6:57 pm

Under EU Regs if they downgrade you, they should refund 75% of the price. How much did you pay?

scibuff Jun 4, 2016 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Palal (Post 26725460)
Under EU Regs if they downgrade you, they should refund 75% of the price. How much did you pay?

That's not a problem, they offered a full refund ... the OP just wants to fly the purchased error fare though

tymoon25 Jun 7, 2016 3:29 am

How are you guys doing with getting your refund?

Here Tripsta and AirBerlin keep saying they can't process the refund and that the other should do it.

cln Jun 8, 2016 5:48 am

I finally received an confirmation by email for the refund after sending emails and calling tripsta. First I had to call air Berlin and they added a note in their System that full refund is authorized.

Hope I really get the money back now within 3 days as promised

flyer777lr Jun 9, 2016 11:49 am

Originally Posted by tymoon25 (Post 26741250)
How are you guys doing with getting your refund?

Here Tripsta and AirBerlin keep saying they can't process the refund and that the other should do it.

Finally got my refund (chargeback from Amex ) Orbitz don't know how to issue a refund for a ticket which was exchanged from Air Berlin....
But at least i got my money back ! :D^

cln Jun 14, 2016 9:09 am

lucky you, i am still waiting