FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   [FARE GONE] BCN-SIN Business Class on Air Berlin 330 and Etihad 787 485 euros RT! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1768158-fare-gone-bcn-sin-business-class-air-berlin-330-etihad-787-485-euros-rt.html)

Atrofede May 31, 2016 11:36 am

AB/Etihad - Bought Business Class, getting downgraded. Need advise.

Sorted out. Thanks.

Atrofede May 31, 2016 11:42 am

Sorted out. Thanks.

Slobodansm May 31, 2016 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Atrofede (Post 26706539)
Hi, bought PMI to BKK for 490€ return a few days ago.

Got an email from AB today urging me me to either accept downgrading to Economy or getting refund.

What would you do guys? Insist? EU regulation is pretty strict when it comes to fare advertising and generally companies are forced to honour the deal, but...

Thanks.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you should receive compensation for being downgraded.

"IX. UPGRADING AND DOWNGRADING
Article 10: Upgrading and downgrading
1. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class higher than that for which the ticket was purchased, it may not request
any supplementary payment.
2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within
seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse
(a) 30 % of the price of the ticket for all flights of 1500 kilometres or less, or
(b) 50 % of the price of the ticket for all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres, except flights between the
European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments, and for all other flights between 1500 and 3500
kilometres, or
(c) 75 % of the price of the ticket for all flights not falling under (a) or (b), including flights between the European territory of the
Member States and the French overseas departments."

BABenchley May 31, 2016 2:27 pm

Mine has been downgraded too. :(

However, no formal email from Air berlin at all.

tymoon25 May 31, 2016 2:31 pm

Same here downgraded to O and Q classes too. No way I am flying this in the back of the bus.

No mail from AB or Tripsta, time to mail some flames hehe.

I really hate it when they downgrade like this without even asking you first...

cvision May 31, 2016 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Atrofede (Post 26706539)
What would you do guys? Insist? EU regulation is pretty strict when it comes to fare advertising and generally companies are forced to honour the deal, but...

Thanks.

But what? Just push AB, they will most likely stay reluctant and quote some bs, but keep pushing and eventually take it to one of the national enforcement bodies.
AB has a sad history of either not complying with regulations, laws or making some up on their own, banking on the pax to eventually give up and accept their fate. If you are able to stick it to them, please do!

The thing with the downgrade is though that the regulation is toothless until they actually force you to sit in the back of the bus. They might violate or not-comply with other parts of European law, but this regulation applies only to actual happening flight delays, cancellations and downgrades.

mlqsko May 31, 2016 10:56 pm

European airline, european departure airport.... Pretty strict regulations ;)

tymoon25 Jun 1, 2016 1:34 am

I was pretty much expecting it, given the previous case and the fact AB is virtually a bankrupt airline burning all of its cash.

I am not gonna push for the 75%refund since I do not want to fly the itinerary I booked in Y. It was doable in J but no way in Y. Plus the ticket is for January and I would have to wait until everything is flown to ask for the refund, that would also mean banking on the fact they do not go out of business by then... In that case you would be just get nothing, no flight no refund.

I am hoping for a quick refund. Let's keep in touch here.

IAN-UK Jun 1, 2016 2:05 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko (Post 26709596)
European airline, european departure airport.... Pretty strict regulations ;)

but where are recipients of EC261 compensation in the line of creditors if/when the carrier goes bust?

cvision Jun 1, 2016 2:18 am

Originally Posted by tymoon25 (Post 26710056)
I was pretty much expecting it, given the previous case and the fact AB is virtually a bankrupt airline burning all of its cash.

Just at a rate of 400M/a :D

I am not gonna push for the 75%refund since I do not want to fly the itinerary I booked in Y. It was doable in J but no way in Y.
[...]
I am hoping for a quick refund. Let's keep in touch here.
And there they win again. Besides the fact that it is highly unlikely for them to go out of business by January, even if they keep posting the same losses like this year, they'd probably transform with Alitalia to either give AZ more routes and or merge with them.

mlqsko Jun 1, 2016 3:06 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 26710111)
but where are recipients of EC261 compensation in the line of creditors if/when the carrier goes bust?

Etihad have pretty deep pockets.

cln Jun 1, 2016 6:12 am

I called and asked. they confirmed that they didn't send any email and tried to blame tripsta. He offered me a refund. He said there was a pricing error in the system and he could not send me any email. I would have to send an email again...
Anyone got any response?

i have received a strange invoice stating all flights are in economy

Tickets DETAILS CURRENCY TAX RATE AMOUNT 745-xxxxxxxxxxxxx-90 / xxxx MR Baggage 1 Fare Taxes and fees Fuel and security surcharge Aviation tax other taxes EUR EUR EUR EUR 0% 0% 0% 0% 327.00 300.00 7.38 -634.38

BABenchley Jun 1, 2016 9:04 am

Surely they would be breaching EU rules if they don't email or call you before your travel date.

cln Jun 1, 2016 12:38 pm

have fun to get your refund ^^

i called AB and tripsta and they both say they cannot process the refund. AB says tripsta has to do it and tripsta says :

Thank you for contacting the tripsta passenger service team. My name is XXX and I’m very happy to assist you.

What we can see is that you made a change in your booking directly with the airline, as the tickets in our system are exchanged by the airline, in this case, we can not offer any type of refund as we can not access the tickets, please contact with the airline in order to clarify the situation.
I give them until friday, if i dont get any confirmation message of the refund i will chargeback the transaction. Burned my EY miles today on PRG - ICN instead of this booking, better than any flash sale xD

flyer777lr Jun 1, 2016 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by cln (Post 26712709)
have fun to get your refund ^^

i called AB and tripsta and they both say they cannot process the refund. AB says tripsta has to do it and tripsta says :

* Yes they are correct with the information they gave you , after a Ticket is reissued by the Airline your Ticketbroker
or 3rd Party Travel Agent has no control over the original Ticket. * I will do the same call AMEX tomorrow and do a chargeback.
I know that AB will keep you waiting to get your money back up to 8 Weeks !

I give them until friday, if i dont get any confirmation message of the refund i will chargeback the transaction.
Burned my EY miles today on PRG - ICN instead of this booking, better than any flash sale xD