Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] EY: CMB-DFW $1440 ai RT in First!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] EY: CMB-DFW $1440 ai RT in First!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
thank you James! I hope the rest of your trip goes without a hitch. Godspeed!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by james84
Got into AUH earlier this morning and thought I would share my experiences flying on this fare.

Check-in
Check-in opened at 1.55am for the 4.35am (delayed to 5.15am) departure. There were 4 counters, of which 1 was for Pearl Business. The line moved rather slowly since it seemed like most passengers turned up even before the counters opened. They were staffed by SriLankan Airlines personnel but there were about 4 uniformed Etihad staff milling around and solving ad hoc issues (which seemed like there were a few last night).

When it got to my turn, the agent couldn't check me in cause "my ticket number was not in the reservation". She asked me if I had the ticket number and I showed her the printout from virtuallythere.com and she took it to one of the Etihad staff. She then came back to ask for the CC which I used to purchase the ticket. After which she said it would take a few minutes and asked me to sit by the chairs at the back wall. Long story short, it took them 45min to sort out my ticket but I eventually got my boarding pass and a lounge invitation for the Araliya lounge.

On Board
Rather unremarkable since I was too exhausted by then to really enjoy the service. Breakfast was served shortly after takeoff and a decent selection of AVOD was available on PTV.

Arrival
Landed an hour late and parked at a remote stand. There was a First/Business Class bus, but they just ended up filling it up with everyone they could accommodate. I booked my ticket with a stopover in AUH and pre-reserved the chauffeur service. When I got to the chauffeur desk, my voucher was waiting for me. I stopped by the ticketing desk at T3 to enquire about changing my AUH-CDG-DFW to AUH-JFK(stopover)-DFW. That's when everything went downhill.

The ticketing agent immediately said something is wrong my ticket the moment he pulled up my reservation. He mentioned that my subsequent flights were still showing "NOGO" status. He called up a bunch of different people, but I couldn't make out what was going on since they were conversing in Arabic, but the verdict was that he was told that there is an error with regards to the fare paid, and that a system error caused my F ticket to be priced with a Y fare, and that I can't even fly without paying the fare difference and he has no idea why I was allowed to board at CMB to begin with. By that time, it was almost an hour so I gave up and told him I'll go to my hotel and call the call center to sort it out.

Call center agent pretty much said the same thing, except that I am allowed to fly as is, but no changes unless I pay the difference between "the Y fare I booked" and the current F fare. I tried to point out that post-purchase price increases aren't allowed by DOT, and that changes should be repriced using historical fares as per fare rules, but he went on and on about how even if the fare rules are valid, it would reprice as an F fare and it would cost a lot more than the $1500 I paid. So I just thanked him for his time and decided it just wasn't worth the effort and I will fly as booked. Remains to be seen if my departure limo will work out tomorrow night.

Hope this gives everyone some peace of mind with regards to flying the ticket, but not so much with regards to changes.

If possible, get something in writing. Not sure if you can tape conversations in AUH and use them in court in the USA, but food for thought.

If you have not already, file a DOT complaint ASAP. Your arguments are valid and logical and EY is apparently hoping they can exhaust people and get away with changing fare rules.

Thanks for the post
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
I was planning on using the email which I received from Etihad that explicitly stated that no changes are involved unless difference in fare is paid. In fact, the call center agent also mentioned that I should have received communication that no changes are allowed, so it has to be recorded in the PNR somewhere.

I will file a DOT complaint as soon as I arrive in the US, assuming the CDG-DFW flight doesn't screw up. Not sure if AA can check me in if my flight coupon is marked "NOGO".
Definitely file with DOT. Please let us know how the check-in process goes in AUH. Also, see if you get into the F Lounge.

Also, please give us an update about the onboard service/product, specifically if the FAs treat you "differently" from other pax . I don't want to believe that they'd have something listed on the manifest, but who knows?...
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I was planning on using the email which I received from Etihad that explicitly stated that no changes are involved unless difference in fare is paid. In fact, the call center agent also mentioned that I should have received communication that no changes are allowed, so it has to be recorded in the PNR somewhere.

I will file a DOT complaint as soon as I arrive in the US, assuming the CDG-DFW flight doesn't screw up. Not sure if AA can check me in if my flight coupon is marked "NOGO".

I missed that you had that letter.

Regarding the taping, I have a bluetooth earpiece that has a small camera embedded. Takes great video and audio for candid conversations
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Definitely file with DOT. Please let us know how the check-in process goes in AUH. Also, see if you get into the F Lounge.

Also, please give us an update about the onboard service/product, specifically if the FAs treat you "differently" from other pax . I don't want to believe that they'd have something listed on the manifest, but who knows?...
Yes, please do let us know what happens. Thank you for being the first to fly the route! ^
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
I'm honestly surprised no one else received the same unsolicited email. Makes me wonder if sending it out 36h before my departure was by design and not coincidence.
If so, that's pretty messed up because, at that point, you don't have much time left for recourse or addressing the issue. You should also be getting free WiFi as a Diamond First pax. Please give us some real-time thoughts/experiences onboard!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:22 am

I'm honestly surprised no one else received the same unsolicited email. Makes me wonder if sending it out 36h before my departure was by design and not coincidence.

This jives with the response from EY that they will remove the suspend status on my ticket a few days before departure.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: QR Platinum, IHG Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Deltahater
This jives with the response from EY that they will remove the suspend status on my ticket a few days before departure.
Well they didn't do that for mine, resulting in a long drawn out check-in process. In fact, even after flying the 1st leg, rest of ticket is still NOGO/suspended...
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:21 am

U already flew this flight?
How did it go?

Well they didn't do that for mine, resulting in a long drawn out check-in process. In fact, even after flying the 1st leg, rest of ticket is still NOGO/suspended...
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:26 am

Thanks! Saw your trip report.
EY should really update their staff...
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
U already flew this flight?
How did it go?
See previus page.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
On a less serious subject, would you guys recommend that I simply connect 4 hours in CMB to pick up the fare or overnight before? Overnight causes issues cause I may have to pay for two nights which would suck… It's either SYD or CMB - I think SYD wins, no? I'm not so concerned about missing the flights etc. but more about where it's better to spend time.
Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by jlisi984
On a less serious subject, would you guys recommend that I simply connect 4 hours in CMB to pick up the fare or overnight before? Overnight causes issues cause I may have to pay for two nights which would suck… It's either SYD or CMB - I think SYD wins, no? I'm not so concerned about missing the flights etc. but more about where it's better to spend time.
Thanks!
4 hours is a reasonable amount of time to transit in CMB but with this fare, who knows...
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Thanks!
Considering SYD prices, I think CMB may be cheaper to stay.
(I have only transited CMB but have been to SYD.)
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Considering SYD prices, I think CMB may be cheaper to stay.
(I have only transited CMB but have been to SYD.)
there is a hotel close to Colombo airport... The Airport Garden... I think managed by Taj hotels now. it think it is fairly reasonable. other Colombo hotels can be quite expensive, especially the ones by the beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.