Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] BA/AA: LAX-JNB $1095-1165 ai RT (22,152 miles; 4.9-5.0 cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] BA/AA: LAX-JNB $1095-1165 ai RT (22,152 miles; 4.9-5.0 cpm)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: AAEXP, 1 MM
Originally Posted by zznoname
That's what I'm now thinking. If booking again at the same price, with available time, I'd stay 1x in JNB to rest up.

I wrote about the difficultly of this MR and now, reading your posts, it's confirmed.

The challenge is you can't toughen up for something like this, all you can do is tolerate and sustain.

Maybe some "knock out" pills.

Good job guys.
Where do you stay in JNB?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75k, AA EXP, Subway Sub Club
Originally Posted by CruisingAltitude47
Honestly, I spent the night and I think it made it harder. I got up the next day...which was actually 10pm for me, and had a whole day ahead. The one day layover seems short, but you can stretch out, see a thing or two, and stay on your timezone.
Agree, fast in, fast out seems better than just one night. Though next time I try this, I'm going to do a few days in CPT, if not more.

Johnny Walker Blue Label from the LHR T5 Galleries First can put you to bed even in just WT to JNB; get a few hours in JNB to get brunch and check out the Lion Park and around the town, then an early dinner and back early for a pre-flight shower in the lounge.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Mstogo
Stay in Joberg?

Well.. in the "old days" we stayed in Fourways at the Indaba Hotel. The cost was around US$100.

Regarding the Joberg MR, I haven't left yet. It seems like I have with all the complaining, but cybpiero found a good hotel deal near the airport.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21819559-post91.html

As you've read, many who completed the MR suggest to keep moving.

Last edited by zznoname; Dec 11, 2013 at 9:02 am
Old Dec 1, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Stay in Joberg?

Is it really better to make an immediate turn around?? Man that seems like a loooooong time to be in transit!!
Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
Is it really better to make an immediate turn around?? Man that seems like a loooooong time to be in transit!!
Because I've not had the "pleasure" experiencing the Joberg run (yet), I'm also looking for tips.

From current posts, I'm guessing only a few booked the Joberg run. Some that have finished, appeared to have held up well. Bravo to them.

My itinerary will keep me "in transit" for 84 hours. Depart 12.00 Saturday, return 23.00 Tuesday.

In any case, an overnight LO is impossible. My bookings are ticketed with a hefty $250 change fee, so I'm happy some have said the 6+ hour turnaround seemed to have worked best for them.

My challenge is years of memories traveling to Asia and Africa in Y seats, and passing out on terminal seats between connections.

Been flying J and F for a while, but you never forget. Tired pain might not be like a tooth ache but it does hurt a lot. And nothing messes with your body more than ONE SINGLE 13 hour flight in Y. I believe it's as close to impossible as you can get flying 4 ten hour+ flights back to back the doing it four days later again.

Guess we'll see.

I'm also wondering where I'll sleep. On the plane? Because the F lounge will beckon and I'll be so unconsciousness the flight might take off without me.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
Stay in Joberg?

Well I really bottomed out the second day (after my one night at the Hilton Sandton). It may also have to do with the fact that I couldn't just relax all day waiting for my flight - I had two back to back several hour client meetings at regional airports to do. They went well, but man it was a long day....

I wasn't feeling great....until the second the return flight hit altitude. Then 'all was right' again and I arrived home in great shape. (Ended up in WR+ and then 77W J though on the way home).

I've got some info up on the blog linked below, and the full trip report is in the works. (Once again, no income from clicks, just better way to pass on info)
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by CruisingAltitude47
Well I really bottomed out the second day (after my one night at the Hilton Sandton). It may also have to do with the fact that I couldn't just relax all day waiting for my flight - I had two back to back several hour client meetings at regional airports to do. They went well, but man it was a long day....

I wasn't feeling great....until the second the return flight hit altitude. Then 'all was right' again and I arrived home in great shape. (Ended up in WR+ and then 77W J though on the way home).

I've got some info up on the blog linked below, and the full trip report is in the works. (Once again, no income from clicks, just better way to pass on info)
Look forward to reading the report!! As I have not really done a long-haul MR before I cant really understand what it is like. I will most likely be in Y as J is still out of my price range and I don't yet have elite status to upgrade. Can't imagine sitting in a chair for that many hours!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75
I did the run with 11hrs in JNB and felt pretty good. I'm not saying is super easy, but it is perfectly doable and I would recommend a same-day turn around.
Have fun!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: AAEXP, 1 MM
Originally Posted by rgarret1
Yes, I am. AA 136 @ 6:35 PM.

After that MR, I still need 44,038 to re-qualify for EXP. Ouch

Any suggestions?

Looks like 2 rt to JNB ..don't see the fare for the availability for rest of dec
Are you doing the mr to JNB?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: EXP (AA), Diamond (HH), National Executive Elite
Looks like 2 rt to JNB ..don't see the fare for the availability for rest of dec
Are you doing the mr to JNB?
Yup, doing the MR to JNB. I start out on 4 Dec and then will spend a few days in Sandton. That will soundly qualify me for PLT. My two US segments on AA are both in F and my LAX to LHR is in J, also on AA. I am dreading the BA portion from LHR to JNB, but see no way to upgrade from WT to WT+, as my fare is based on O booking class.

Because I couldn’t find low enough fares for the remainder of Dec, I decided to abandon my quest of re-qualifying for EXP this year. Instead, I’m going to try for an aggressive re-qualification in Jan and Feb, while I still have my EXP status and a healthy bank of SWUs. If for some reason that does not work, then at least I have PLT status secured, as a result of the Dec MR.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:18 pm

What about EXP perks?

I always type before searching:

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/emerald-privileges

Anyway.. these perks help.

Also.. Fast Track in LHR. Did other use this?

No Fast Track in Joberg. Do you think 2 hrs. before departure is enough?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: MP: PG; AA:EXP; MR: Gold Elite; HH: Gold
What about EXP perks?

I always type before searching:

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/emerald-privileges

Anyway.. these perks help.

I can't speak for LAX-JNB, but I just finished up a MR IAD-CPT with 0 turn. I left on a Friday night 10:00 pm). I did however go through LHR and here are some insights (for what it's worth). I flew on a BA ticket. I was already AA PLAT (OW Sapphire). So I went to the BA lounge at IAD and had some eats/drinks before I left. Then when I got to LHR (T-5), I had about 5 hours so I took the shuttle to terminal 3 ( takes like 5 minutes - It's down stairs, easy to find - you'll go through security @ T-3 when you get off the shuttle) and used my BA boarding Pass to enter the Admirals Club (you might be able to use your AA PLAT/EXP card if you are on an AA ticket, call them to see). I took a shower and changed. The showers were *heavenly* and immaculate and everything is provided (even a shaving kit if you ask). Had a little lunch/internet and then went back to T-5. I used the Fast Track Screener, but it didn't really help in security as they funneled everyone into one line as it was the middle of the day. I went to the BA Business Class lounge ate/drank/internet some more and boarded my flight (note that these flights may depart from a satellite terminal so give yourself some extra time). Slept all the way to CPT and arrived 0700. (I did not spend a red sent from the time I arrived at IAD until I got to CPT). Changed into shorts and spent the day in CPT. Came back and used my Lounge Club card (ink Bold perk) to access the lounge and took another shower (the BA lounge in CPT is closed). Slept up to LHR and then did the same club tour in LHR. Arrived home @ 6pm went to bed and was back at work Tuesday am. No jet lag, nice tan (watch the UV in SA). Easy-peasy lemon squeezy. Would do it again tomorrow.

MAC

Last edited by bigmac13; Dec 3, 2013 at 3:12 pm Reason: Poor spelling
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by rgarret1
I am dreading the BA portion from LHR to JNB, but see no way to upgrade from WT to WT+, as my fare is based on O booking class.
Just returned from JNB/CPT. Regarding WT+, definitely ask at the BA lounge and JNB check-in about upgrading. On the way down there and back, upgrades were available for purchase from WT to both WT+ and J.

If EF shows the loads to have a reasonable amount of available inventory on both directions, save your money for the return trip as ex-JNB upgrades have the same nominal price tag but are priced in Rand instead of British pounds. Upgrade from WT to J, for example, was quoted at 900 pounds ex-LHR ($1476 per goog) and 9000 ZAR ($870 per goog).
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:54 pm

Absolutely fast track at LHR as EXP. Just head for the FT lane and repeat "one world emerald" if they question you. Had no problem on Thursday or this morning, though premium cabin check in took a minute to explain to "security" at JNB

I checked in last night about 2 hours before hand and was fine. I did see signs saying cutoff was 60 min so I would not even approach that limit, particularly if you are on flight #2 of the night.

Originally Posted by bigmac13
Came back and used my Lounge Club card (ink Bold perk) to access the lounge and took another shower (the BA lounge in CPT is closed).
I was going to say I used the BA lounge at CPT yesterday but realize that I was flying domestic to JNB.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 4:05 pm

I stayed at the Protea Fire & Ice @ Melrose Arch. Just took a shot in the dark via expedia but worked out nicely. Located near some shopping and restaurants and seemed very safe. Busy hotel.

That being said, if I did it again, I would stay in Sandton. If you take the Gautrain from JNB (very clean, fast, safe), you walk up to street level and will see the Radisson Blu across the street. I know there are others there - CA stayed at the Hilton there in town. I did not make it out around there but 1) everyone told me that is the nicest part of town and 2) it would have avoided two taxi rides to the hotel and back as it is located conveniently on the train line, which takes only approx 13-15 minutes to get to/from the airport.

FYI - if you take the Gautrain from JNB, you can purchase the roundtrip fair by entering the exact ZAR amount you want to add to your Gold Card instead of taking a preset, which would leave you with excess money remaining on the card. Just make sure not to lose it! I believe it is 125 ZAR each way, or $12.50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.