Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(gone) UA misprice $5 & $10 fares merged thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: belfordrocks
UA Insider (sept 13, 20h39 GMT)
We’ve reviewed the error that occurred yesterday and decided that, based on these specific circumstances, we will honor the tickets.

How to ticket if yours is pending
Originally Posted by SFO777
Someone in the UA forum posted a way to force the ticketing...

Go into your limbo rez, Edit Passenger Details.
Change the FFinfo to another *A carrier. Save.
Wait 5 minutes.
Go back in and change the FF info back to UA. Save.
You should get your email confirmation of ticketing within 10 minutes.
Worked for me on both of my limbo tickets.
DO NOT CALL!

Ok UA is aware and has confirmed honoring, you can safely call now. However, if anything similar happens again:

DO NOT CALL!

Frequently Asked Questions

Will United honor my ticket?

Per Posting from UA Insider, tickets will be honored

Will I earn EQM/RDM if I fly this ticket?

YES
Print Wikipost

(gone) UA misprice $5 & $10 fares merged thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Originally Posted by TravisSC
This thread is like watching an accident - I want to look away but can't. I was on United.bomb looking for reward availability and didn't even realize the glitch was in play till after the fact. Now I kick myself reading every new post of a successful ticket. Good on those that got in though.
Same with me, except I wasn't even on United.bomb, but I walked into my office TWO minutes after the first posts were put up & I didn't even start working, I was goofing off on the Internet for a little bit but didn't go to .bomb or FT. Oh, well. C'est la vie.

Congratulations to everyone who made it! Would have loved a Hawaii vacation with the family for Thanksgiving, though.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Brilliant suggestion on how to get a reservation ticketed. I got frequent flyer numbers for US Airways and Air Canada, entered them into the passenger info for me and my husband and a few minutes later my ticket was issued. Thanks to whoever figured this out (how did you figure that out, by the way??).
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:59 pm

coworker booked but forgot to include FF number. after he updated, it ticketed... i tried it, worked for me, then posted

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post21439503
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA Plat, DL Silver, SW A-List, Emerald Club Exec
Can't believe I missed out on this...I was even off work yesterday and happened to not check FlyerTalk..To be fair though, I was meeting with a doc regarding upcoming surgery, but still....lol.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by ivvy
thanks!

I was reading about the same-day change fees on United.com, looks like if you change your flight within 24-hr of departure, you get a discounted same-day change fee of $75 or $0 for Gold status, but it doesn't seem to specify or differentiate between domestic or international.

So here's the plan, I'm going to wait until the day of departure to change my regular priced (G class) to a date in December, and receive a $75 penalty; use the $5 ticket to fly on that day.

can anyone tell me if there's any problem with this?

p/s this flight departs 3 days later after the previous section, which suppose to earn me Gold status, now the question is: will I see my Gold status available 3 days after the flight, before I can go change that final section?
you can't change to any date you want, you can change to another flight departing on teh same day if your fare class is available. recommend you re-read the rules.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by ddrost1
you can't change to any date you want, you can change to another flight departing on teh same day if your fare class is available. recommend you re-read the rules.
Ok, I did re-read the rules, and now it's clear to me.

I think I will fly the $5 one-way ticket since change it will induce fare difference and change fee, which just doesn't make any sense.

Now how about that final domestic leg of my multi-destination ticket with international legs? If I don't flight it, is there anyway to recoup any of its value? or the change fee ($300) is just to much for recoup a domestic one way flight?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:51 pm

Can someone tell me a Twitter name/handle to find out about this stuff? I'm sad to have missed it
Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by ajl1239:21441244
Can someone tell me a Twitter name/handle to find out about this stuff? I'm sad to have missed it
Me too...
I was in a seminar yesterday afternoon so didn't check FT website.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:33 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Good on UA for honouring these tickets.

I didn't get in on it - but I wish I had.

I will still fly them next time.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
^ Aaron and the UA team: it's rare these days that we can cheer for the integrity of a major airline and this is a refreshingly honest decision here.

I'm sure this was helped by the speed with which UA shut this down and left themselves systematically able to honor the booked fares with relatively little systemwide collateral...as opposed to 4-mile island, which admittedly was murkier.

But, whatever, they stand by the sold fares. Hey thanks to my difficulty in finding a workable connection yesterday while I drove around eastern Puerto Rico while this was going on, I don't even have any of these tix... a change for me..... usually other FT members give me a hard time because I'm the guy with nineteen (RGN) or thirty (LAS) or whatever of the deal

This is why UA...is not LX! In a good way.

You guys who got in had better park your a$$es on those seats and fly them all in the spirit of cooperation....
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by redtailshark
^ Aaron and the UA team: it's rare these days that we can cheer for the integrity of a major airline and this is a refreshingly honest decision here.

I'm sure this was helped by the speed with which UA shut this down and left themselves systematically able to honor the booked fares with relatively little systemwide collateral...as opposed to 4-mile island, which admittedly was murkier.

But, whatever, they stand by the sold fares. Hey thanks to my difficulty in finding a workable connection yesterday while I drove around eastern Puerto Rico while this was going on, I don't even have any of these tix... a change for me..... usually other FT members give me a hard time because I'm the guy with nineteen (RGN) or thirty (LAS) or whatever of the deal

This is why UA...is not LX! In a good way.
^^
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say... congrats to all you lucky SOBs that happened to be reading FT yesterday.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing about mileage accrual in their statement. You would THINK the tickets would earn mileage, but do they show "$0.00" as the "airfare" (the line above all the taxes) on the confirmation receipts? If they do, is that a problem: will the system award mileage on zero airfares?

I congratulate all of you who booked free tickets for vacations, family visits and such. To those of you doing mileage runs, you have my deepest sympathies. And I say that as a 1K who had two UA flights cancelled tonight. It's just not very much fun being a domestic UA flyer -- and that's on the airline's best days. I would never want to fly for "no reason," especially since the status is worth so much less now.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K
UA unbookable misprice $5 & $10 fares merged thread

there's nothing refreshing about this decision, depending on the magnitude of tickets sold or should I say given away, this only weakens mileage plus points and probably drastically reduces the number of lower fares
Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, IHG Plt, SPG Gld
Originally Posted by Q54701
there's nothing refreshing about this decision, depending on the magnitude of tickets sold or should I say given away, this only weakens mileage plus points and probably drastically reduces the number of lower fares
I would guess that the number of folks who got in on the fare (who actually use their mileage wisely...ie. FTers) is minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Congrats to those who got in on it. Extremely jealous.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.