Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some starter questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, National Executive, Delta Silver, United Silver
Some starter questions

I read through the vpescado thread about MRs and my head started to hurt. Then I found this article which was a lot easier to read and seemed more up-to-date. But I think maybe some things have changed?

It refers to http://www.farecompare.com/products/...flyertalk.html and says "A quick way to check the price per mile is to go through the aforementioned farecompare.com/search/flyertalk. This is a very easy way to find destinations that will net you the least expensive miles. You simply indicate the price per mile that you would like searched (<0.025, <0.05, <0.075, <0.01 or <0.15), your starting point and destinations by area and see what comes up." However, that link gives me three options, each of which ask for an origin and destination. Is there some other way to do what they described?

Also, somewhere I found http://www.farecompare.com/maps/ which looks very cool, but even when I select one airline, most of the results I see are for other airlines. Does it not work right? Is there something else I'm missing?

I have some upcoming flights for work. If I were so inclined, what would be the easiest way to add miles to flights that are already booked? They pay for flights with a corporate card, so I cannot cancel and rebook or anything like that. I can add on with my own card, though (I usually add Economy Plus, as they won't spring for business class :-( )

Are there any other resources I haven't found yet?

I'm in SAN and am just starting to figure out how I could do an MR, so any advice specifically for SAN would be appreciated, like any particular destination that starts out with a low CPM.

Oh, and I don't see fare rules on Expedia. Googling suggests they took them away. Where else could one see the fare rules for a given flight?

Last edited by jnojr; Apr 2, 2013 at 4:22 pm
Old Apr 2, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL PM | Marriott Gold | Alaska Gold
Start here: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Search by calendar and just start playing with destinations and timing.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 4:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
watch the mr deals.....

cld is often better than san to start....

the 1st thread in this forum is about mr tools.....may take a while to master....
Old Apr 2, 2013, 4:37 pm
In Memoriam

there is a decent san-phl run in mr deals as we type....

sju is a usual suspect...$302 on mon-tue from san/cld....ron at sju...

good luck....

edit again.....changing booked flights usually involves a fee & fare difference so, if you can modify work trips, do it up front....

Last edited by clacko; Apr 2, 2013 at 6:11 pm
Old Apr 2, 2013, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, National Executive, Delta Silver, United Silver
Originally Posted by clacko
there is a decent san-phl run in mr deals as we type....
Yeah, I saw it. I just can't duplicate it. :-(

sju is a usual suspect...$302 on mon-tue from san/cld....ron at sju...
Puerto Rico? I'll look into that, thanks. What is "ron at sju"?

And where can I get the fare rules that will help me figure out my best route? None of the info I've found so far helps with that.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 6:36 pm
In Memoriam

ron.....remain over night....

for sju, routing via ewr can be good....
Old Apr 3, 2013, 4:44 am
In Memoriam

for sju, look for red eye transcons outbound to avoid the ron....
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, clacko.

I've been fiddling around in ITA Matrix a little, and can get it to cough up cheap flights. However, I cannot find the info about which airports I could try to route through. It gives me the "Fare construction", which tells me what it's giving me. And if I click on the "Rules" link, I get a ton of info, but cannot see anything that looks like the string of possible legs. Am I looking in the wrong place, or is there some additional magic dust needed, or ??? :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.