Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA 30k mileage run for 8 SWUs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: GP plat, SPG plat

As many of you know, AA matched UA 1K and GS members to explat. For those matched later than 4/30, AA offered 8 SWUs for completing 30k EQM by end of August. SWUs expire in Feb 2014.

My question is: is it worth doing a mileage run for these SWUs?

I've never done a mileage run before and am not too keen on flying for the sake of flying. I do value 8 SWUs though but will certainly not be flying enough before August to get there.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Will your projected travel make them worthwhile? If I was only going to fly domestic flights I probably would not do any MRs. On the other hand if there were some longhaul international flts looming I might be inclined to do so.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:03 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by bouncingbug
As many of you know, AA matched UA 1K and GS members to explat. For those matched later than 4/30, AA offered 8 SWUs for completing 30k EQM by end of August. SWUs expire in Feb 2014.
I've never done a mileage run before and am not too keen on flying for the sake of flying. I do value 8 SWUs though but will certainly not be flying enough before August to get there.
If you will travel on AA by Feb 14 i intl Y on long distances, yes.
You can have a friend upgrade you on 2 flights to China or South America.
That will easily pay for it, you will have 5-6 SWUs left.
I would do it for the EXP line and for the free domestic upgrades.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:06 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
do you need the 30k run to requal for exp?
Old May 20, 2012, 11:24 am
Original Poster

I actually have 0 AA miles this year so no, it's not for requal but just for the AA SWUs
Old May 20, 2012, 11:43 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
I actually have 0 AA miles this year so no, it's not for requal but just for the AA SWUs
so you would be betting on the come that you can use them?

i figure that a swu is worth $350 + 25k rdm when used on an intl trip...so the value could be as much as $2800 + 200k rdm.....

if you can find a 30k mr for 5c/eqm, thats $1500 & you get 60k rdm which some value at 2 cpm which is $1200...net cost $300 not counting parking, food,etc for the runs...

it could be a great deal, but there is a bit of speculation in it....check the math...
Old May 20, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by clacko
i figure that a swu is worth $350 + 25k rdm when used on an intl trip...
That is their literal value, (even more on a trip to India) but on CC suggests a very different 'market value', and I sense an oversupply in the near future.

If you don't expect to use them personally, I would calculate a much lower value when deciding about the MR.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janetdoe
That is their literal value, (even more on a trip to India) but on CC suggests a very different 'market value', and I sense an oversupply in the near future.

If you don't expect to use them personally, I would calculate a much lower value when deciding about the MR.
That's a very good point. There's a lot of SWUs floating around now (UA elites being matched before 4/30)

Last edited by bouncingbug; May 20, 2012 at 5:40 pm
Old May 20, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum

If you can use a CA, IL, or TX address... 4x ORD-SFO round-trips at $200 each and you are there for $800 total, you are a few hundred miles shy but your positioning trip to ORD will take care of that.

These 4x trips will also get you nearly 45k RDM, which at $0.02 each gives a value of $886. Thus, you are +$86 from just the RDM value, and you get the 8 SWU's for essentially no cost. Plus, you are 30k miles closer to re-qualification.

If you have the time, seems like a no-brainer to me, especially since as an EXP now you have a good chance of doing the SFO-ORD legs in F.
Old May 20, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by whimike
<snip>
Plus, you are 30k miles closer to re-qualification.
<snip>
True, but with AA's soft-landing policy. If they're not gooing to make it to 100k EQM or EQP, then its no different that not flying any miles. An EXP who files 0 miles in the year post qualifying gets the same treatment as an EXP who flys 95k miles the year post qualifying. Neither re-qualifies and both drop to Plat on the soft-landing. So, if you're sure you're not going to make 100K, makes sense to see if the miles you are flying can be better used on other carriers to possibly gain or re-qualify for status on them.
Old May 21, 2012, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by whimike
If you can use a CA, IL, or TX address... 4x ORD-SFO round-trips at $200 each and you are there for $800 total, you are a few hundred miles shy but your positioning trip to ORD will take care of that.
These are running closer to $300 right now, at least in June.
Old May 21, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD

I posted a way in the master thread to complete the 30k miles for less than $2,000.

So my question to you is... if you had 4 round trips in business class USA-Europe and you only had to pay economy price ($800-900 per trip) do you value that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.