FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Fuel Dumping: An Idiot's Guide (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1268316-fuel-dumping-idiots-guide.html)

Sherwood Hampton Oct 12, 2011 10:49 am

Fuel Dumping: An Idiot's Guide

Seeing as the other thread about fuel dumping is now bordering on the farcical in it's surrealism (what on Earth is the "fatty sitting on the furniture"?) and has stretched to 942 pages, and has therefore become rather unweildly, I'm starting this thread with the aim that more people can benefit from this "trick" to bring down air fares. This is in the "sharing" spirit that is Flyertalk. :)

I shall be posting lots of information in due course but I welcome anybody else to add to it, the only caveat being it would help if it's easy to understand and doesn't turn into a small "clique" of people making childish and unhelpful comments.

Sherwood Hampton Oct 12, 2011 10:50 am

Reserved for a future post explaining "fuel dumping".

Right, I'm ready to make my first explanation but I'm a little unsure about what I'm allowed to say here.

More soon......

zsurf Oct 12, 2011 12:24 pm

At last...

DLATL777 Oct 12, 2011 12:31 pm

I respect you for doing this, but I hope you brought your fire suit my man, cause a storm is a brewin'.

Scottrick Oct 12, 2011 12:32 pm

A similar thread can be found at MilePoint. Not as much experience there, admittedly, but a lot more friendly and explanatory in some ways. The openness does attract more novices, but their eager to learn.

Sherwood Hampton Oct 12, 2011 12:53 pm

It's come to my attention that several members present in the "trick it" thread, when receiving PM's for help, were asking for money to proceed. :rolleyes:

sbm12 Oct 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Sherwood Hampton (Post 17262457)
It's come to my attention that several members present in the "trick it" thread, when receiving PM's for help, were asking for money to proceed. :rolleyes:

:eek:

Wow...seriously? That's bad form at so many levels.

asnovici Oct 12, 2011 1:01 pm

Wow... thats pretty low :td:

Lots of respect to you for going against the sad tide some FTers have created. ^

Scottrick Oct 12, 2011 1:11 pm

There are also people on the other end, who are willing to pay for help tricking an itinerary. I agree that the only way to prevent this is to make the help more easily obtained.

skunker Oct 12, 2011 1:21 pm

But how are you going to tell people how to FD when you don't even know how to do it? Blind leading the blind.

tc_jedi Oct 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Either this is hearsay or it's not true. You'd be the first person to call people out if you had any proof.

atrich Oct 12, 2011 1:31 pm

I don't think it's going to work

The reason FD'ing is so arcane in that thread is because being direct about it brings a lot of attention (which results in a lot of people booking itineraries) and the airlines shut it down.

What you're trying to do is make it obvious, straightforward, and accessible. People will pile on, and then the tricks will stop working. The people with the knowledge in the FD thread have a vested interest in not having that happen. The less people that know about the tricks, the longer they will continue to work.

irishguy28 Oct 12, 2011 1:37 pm

Those members should be instantly banned from the site, if you ask me.

azepine00 Oct 12, 2011 1:40 pm

OP, why are you having trouble with this:

Fuel dumping (or a fuel jettison) is a procedure used by aircraft in certain emergency situations before a return to the airport shortly after takeoff, or before landing short of its intended destination to lighten aircraft's weight.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dumping

charlesswe Oct 12, 2011 1:56 pm

What's the point, exactly?

I doubt that your intentions are to share. The only thing you're going to achieve is to make those FD method you expose obsolete within days. We have seen this happen many times in the past.