Reload this Page >

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wolfpacktrojan
Transportation options from HGH to Hangzhou city center or PVG. Please add your name and your itinerary if you are interested in meeting other fellow FTers.
1) Taxi to Hangzhou city center, about 100 RMB ($15) for the entire party, not per person, walking from international terminal to domestic terminal (i.e., right turn after you get outside of the international terminal building), you will see taxi queue.
2) Shuttle bus, 20 RMB ($3), to Wulinmen CAAC Ticket Office or East Railway Station Line (two most popular options). The waiting hall for the shuttle bus is at Gate 10 (you can purchase ticket at Gate 14, too) Arrival Hall, on the first floor of the terminal building. Further details, see https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cit...ation.htm#hang
3) Shuttle from Hangzhou city center to PVG, 110 RMB, 3.5 hours: a) Wulinmen Ticket Office Central Hangzhou to PVG: (5:30, 6:10, 7:00, 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00)
b) Hangzhou Dragon Sports Center to PVG, 110 RMB, (7:00, 8:30, 10:30, 12:30, 14:30, 16:00
). Further details, see https://traveladept.com/bus-pudong-hangzhou/
4) Train from Hangzhou East station to Shanghai Hongqiao; less than 100 RMB (~1 hr); then you can take Subway Line #2 to PVG, ~10 RMB and 2 hrs; or shuttle bus (Airport Line #1), about 1 hr, 30 RMB ($4.5), every 15 - 25 minutes. The Hangzhou East ticketing windows are located on 1st Floor, EAST Area of the station. Please allow 20-30 minutes for walking to 2nd floor departure, and security check. The frequency of Hangzhou-Hongqiao trains is as good as that of subways in many US cities.
5) Getting cash at HGH The international terminal at HGH (where you arrive) only has an exchange vendor with hefty fees that is open limited hours. However, the adjacent domestic terminal has a bank ATM. To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.
6 Getting TWOV without issues The advice is to print out your itinerary, hotel reservation, etc., to speed up the procedure at the entry point in China. At SFO, the check-in agents were clueless, so be prepared to get there very early and fight for your boarding passes. Please read the last few pages on this thread for first-hand experiences. Good luck. There is a thread on FT for further details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...hread-231.html

ATM To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.

Travel information for Beijing and airport:
Beijing will have 2 hubs starting Sept 30,2019. PEK (Beijing Capital International Airport) is original main hub and will continue for Star Alliance flights and Cathay Pacific (including subsidiary Cathay Dragon Air). PKX (Beijing Daxing International Airport, will debut Sept 30, 2019)
planned for airlines of the SkyTeam alliance and One World Alliance (AA, BA, etc. except Cathay Pacific) will be relocated to the new airport. Most flyers taking advantage of this China OJ deal will continue fly through PEK. Some people who use positioning flights through Beijing using non-Star Alliance airlines need to make sure you are flying into PEK, or else need 2hr ground transportation from PKX to PEK.
PEK allows TWOV within 24hr to stay inside security zone airside. This is more convenient for immediate turn than Shanghai-PVG, which force all passengers to exit immigration and customs, then re-check in from land side, even if you have immediate turn within 24hr.

Who are going? When for outbound and inbound? Routing from major hubs:
July 2017

August 2017
Quinlanty: Aug 3, ORD-HKG-HGH; Aug 7, PVG-LAX-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ (see post #284 for a brief report on TWOV procedure at HGH).

September 2017
Kmxu: 1 Sept, IAD-HNL-GUM-, 3 Sept, GUM-PVG; 4 Sept, PVG-SFO-ORD
Quinlanty; Sep 1, IAD-HNL-GUM; Sept 3, GUM-PVG, Sep 4, PVG-SFO-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Sept 1; SFO-HNL-GUM-HKG Sept 3rd: HKG-HGH, Sept 4th: PVG-SFO
X31: 8 Sept BTV-EWR-SFO-HKG-HGH; 11 Sept PVG-NRT; 12 Sept HND-SFO-IAH-EWR; 13 Sept EWR-YUL
Kmxu + 3: 9 Sept, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH; 12 Sept, PVG-SFO-IAD
techdarko: 12 Sept, SFO-HKG; 14 Sept, HKG-HGH; 16 Sept, PVG-SFO
Quinlanty: Sep 14; SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-YVR
bencanfly: Sep 14, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-IAD
tde211: Sept 17, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 18 - PVG-SFO-YVR
Fishleafer: Sep 20, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 26, PVG-SFO-YVR
X31: 21 Sept BTV-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG; 23 Sept HKG-HGH; 25 Sept PVG-SFO-IAH-EWR; 26 Sept EWR-YUL
985X: Sept 22, LAX-SFO-HKG; Sept 23, HKG-HGH; Sept 25, PVG-LAX; Sept 26, LAX-YVR
flyingstudent: Sept 23: SFO-HGH
netoreisinger: 30 Sept, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; 4 Oct, PVG-SFO-ORD-YUL

October 2017
gba: Oct 22, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 29: PVG-NRT-SEA-YVR
beyounged: Oct 24, SAN-SFO-HKG, Oct 26, HKG-HGH, Nov 8, PVG-HND-YVR
as219: Oct 26, LGA-ORD-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-SFO-EWR-YUL (+1)
X31: 26 Oct BTV-ORD-HKG; 28 Oct HKG-HGH; 30 Oct PVG-SFO; 31 Oct SFO-ORD-YUL
riphamilton +1: Oct 27, BOS-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-GUM-NRT; Oct 31: NRT-ORD-YUL

November 2017
Quinlanty: Nov 3, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; Nov 6, HGH-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Nov 19: BDL-ORD-HKG-HGH, Nov 27 HGH HKG-SFO-(YVR)
Davistev: Nov26, LAX-NRT-PVG

December 2017
Kmxu: Dec 1, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG; Dec 3, HKG-HGH, Dec 4, PVG-SFO-IAD
X31: Dec 1, YUL-IAD-IAH; Dec 2, IAH-LAX-PVG; Dec 4, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Dec 4, HNL-EWR-BTV.

January 2018
Kewldude21: Jan 14 IAH-EWR-HKG Jan 16 HKG-HGH Jan 22 PVG-SFO-IAH
mpiotrow: Jan 21, ORD-SFO-KIX; Jan 23, KIX-HGH; Jan 24, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL-DEN-YYZ

February 2018

March 2018
Davistev: Mar03, PVG-SFO-YVR
flyer777lr: Mar 20, DEN-HNL-GUM; Mar 23, GUM-KIX (NH)-HGH; Mar 26, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Mar 27, HNL-EWR-YYZ
Kewldude21: Mar 22 IAH-EWR-HKG Mar 24 HKG-HGH Mar 28 HGH-PEK-SFO-IAH
flyme2: Mar 28, BTV-ORD-HKG; Mar 29: HKG-HGH; Apr 17: HKG-EWR-YUL
JetSetDave: Mar 29, EUG-SFO-HKG-HGH; April 3, PVG-SFO-EUG
Coeur 05: March 31, bos-sfo-hkg-pvg; April 5, PVG-lax-ord-yow

April 2018
ttyl: Apr 01 BTV-IAD-EWR-HKG; Apr 02 HKG-HGH; Apr 04 PVG-SFO-IAD-LGA-YUL
Toronto1970: April 6, EWR-ORD-HKG-HGH; April 13, CTU-SFO-EWR-YYZ
Exiled in Express: April 18, ORD-HKG-HGH; April 30, WUH-NRT-SEA-YVR
X31: Apr. 28 : BTV-EWR-HKG-HGH; May 1st : PVG-KIX; May 15th : ITM-HND-YVR-YYJ

May 2018
Kewldude21: May 3 IAH-SFO-HKG May 13 PEK-SFO-IAH

October 2018
KMXU, Oct. 18, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH, Oct. 25, PVG-SFO-IAD

November 2018
KMXU, Nov. 14, ORD-HKG-XIY, Nov. 19, PEK-ORD

September 2019
xinliz Sept 4 SFO-NRT-PVG Sept 25 PEK-EWR-YOW
Flying Machine Sept 9 LAX-SFO-HKG Sept 10 HKG-HGH Sept 16 PVG-SFO-IAD

October 2019
kmxu: Oct 26, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG, Oct. 27, HKG-XIY, Oct 30, CTU-SFO-IAH
wolfpacktrojan: Oct. 26, EWR-SFO-PVG, Oct. 28, PVG-NRT-SFO-YVR

November 2019
kmxuand his colleague: Nov 9, IAD-PEK, Nov 12, PEK-NRT-HNL-SFO-YYZ
kmxu's colleague: Nov 13, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 16, PEK-ORD
kmxu: Nov. 20, IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 22, PEK-EWR-YYZ
kmxu: Nov. 23, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 26, PEK-ORD
aquanine Nov 28: LAX-SFO-KIX, Nov 30: KIX-PEK, Dec 2: PEK-SFO-YVR

December 2019
kmxu: Nov. 30, IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 2, PEK-ORD-YYZ
kmxu: Dec. 3, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 6, PEK-ORD
jskang Dec 5, EWR-PVG, Dec 8, PEK-NRT-IAD-YOW

January 2020

February 2020

March 2020

April 2020
Print Wikipost

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:29 pm

Yellow flag (no pun intended)

Originally Posted by Redwood839
Last question which is maybe not related to the MR, but it might help future travelers:

My Chinese 1 entry tourist visa was approved. In my application I put in entry date of Nov 10. When I picked up today it said entry BEFORE November 7th. I told the lady at the consulate and she said it was fine as long as it was in november. Concerned that CZ is going to act up because of it and the actual entry into the country.
Don' t trust that lady unless you can confirm her saying with 2 other sources.
Imagine for a minute being in China and CZ won't let you board your plane because of the date on your visa...
Your only argument would be: "a lady at the consulate said it was fine".
Nightmares are made of these...
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Last question which is maybe not related to the MR, but it might help future travelers:

My Chinese 1 entry tourist visa was approved. In my application I put in entry date of Nov 10. When I picked up today it said entry BEFORE November 7th. I told the lady at the consulate and she said it was fine as long as it was in november. Concerned that CZ is going to act up because of it and the actual entry into the country.
Oops, I see now that you must have gotten a visa good for 1 entry within 3 months of issue (which I'm guessing was Aug 7). I initially thought you were saying it was valid through Aug 7, not Nov 7. If I had to guess, I would say that your Visa is NOT going to be valid if you try to enter on Nov 10 and it's only valid through Nov 7. I would definitely try to confirm that with someone, like @FamTaYul said. I think you may have accidentally gotten your Visa too early!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Assuming you got a 10 year visa, are you sure it doesn't say "Enter before 07NOV2028"? I have a China which has "Issue date 26MAR2015" and also says "Enter before 26MAR2025" because it's a 10 year visa.
We don't have a 10 year choice thing here.

Well, I just figured out what the problem was.

In the options I selected it was 1 entry visa, with 3 months to use from issue date. I requested on the 7th of August, so it's 3 months from there.

Can I actually re-apply to another visa now? THis was pretty stupid.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:37 pm

We don't have a 10 year choice thing here.
I didn't notice you were from Costa Rica at first. Now that I see that, I see that your Visa options are:
  • One entry (valid for 3 months from date of issue)
  • Two tickets (valid for 3 to 6 months from date of issue)
  • Multiple entries (valid for 6 months from date of issue)
  • Multiple entries (valid for 1 year from date of issue)
Well, I just figured out what the problem was.

In the options I selected it was 1 entry visa, with 3 months to use from issue date. I requested on the 7th of August, so it's 3 months from there.
Was there a big difference in price between the 1 entry option for 3 months and multiple entries for 1 year? You might look at the price difference and figure out if you think you may be doing another MR to China in the next year! ^

Can I actually re-apply to another visa now? THis was pretty stupid.
I think you'll have to contact whomever you got the visa from in order to ask them about your options for getting a new one.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
I didn't notice you were from Costa Rica at first. Now that I see that, I see that your Visa options are:
  • One entry (valid for 3 months from date of issue)
  • Two tickets (valid for 3 to 6 months from date of issue)
  • Multiple entries (valid for 6 months from date of issue)
  • Multiple entries (valid for 1 year from date of issue)
Was there a big difference in price between the 1 entry option for 3 months and multiple entries for 1 year? You might look at the price difference and figure out if you think you may be doing another MR to China in the next year! ^

I think you'll have to contact whomever you got the visa from in order to ask them about your options for getting a new one.
Thanks, I did contact. I actually went in person to the consulate. They said that it was fine and it didn't matter if it said the 7th. Which I'm not actually believing now and I got no actual back up.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:44 pm

Thanks, I did contact. I actually went in person to the consulate. They said that it was fine and it didn't matter if it said the 7th. Which I'm not actually believing now and I got no actual back up.
I would definitely go back and ask someone else. I'm pretty sure that "Enter before" date is basically an "Expiration date", but I may be wrong, since I've still got almost 8 years left on my Visa. I think it's worth checking, for sure.

It may be best, as I mentioned, to just get a 1 year Visa, if you think it's worth it!

[EDIT] Here's some info I just found on this page: http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/faq/

I have received my visa, but there will be a change in my trip plan. Do I need to apply for a change of the visa type or validity?

Once your visa application is processed and approved, you will not be able to change a visa type or validity unless you request the visa be voided by the Visa Office and apply and pay for a new one. If you have entered China, you should apply to the local Public Security authority for a change in visa type or an extension of stay or validity. Your application will be considered by the Public Security authority in accordance with relevant Chinese Laws and Regulations
Validity ("Enter Before") of a visa begins from the date of issue and good through 24h00 Beijing Time of the "Enter Before" date unless the number of entries is used up or the visa is revoked by the Chinese government.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by mpiotrow; Aug 13, 2018 at 1:47 pm Reason: Added info about Visa validity from website
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:52 pm

Yeah, I finally got the person who did my initial visa on the phone and she said she really apologized as she missed it, and that two other people missed it as well as the consul accepts each visa individually but that I had to re do the process.

She did offer me to go on a day she was there and skip the queue but I would have to pay again.

It's ok, $56 for two isn't something to cry about. At least it was approved and i know I can travel.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:53 pm

I'm still curious what it costs for a 1 year, multiple entry Visa.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Personally I didn't even get to chose. When I applied for my Chinese visa (In Vancouver, Canada) came back after it was approved and she's like "ok so approved 5 years blah blah". Nowhere on the form did I check off 5 years, nowhere did they offer more or less term. Would've been nice to get 10, but oh well. A Chinese visa from Vancouver is relatively easy to get, as is Brazilian...I'm already dreading applying for my next Russian visa...
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm still curious what it costs for a 1 year, multiple entry Visa.
Same price

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Personally I didn't even get to chose. When I applied for my Chinese visa (In Vancouver, Canada) came back after it was approved and she's like "ok so approved 5 years blah blah". Nowhere on the form did I check off 5 years, nowhere did they offer more or less term. Would've been nice to get 10, but oh well. A Chinese visa from Vancouver is relatively easy to get, as is Brazilian...I'm already dreading applying for my next Russian visa...
Canadian is 10 years or remaining time on passport whichever is less. US passport its 10 years with visa is valid after expiration of the passport.

Last edited by CDKing; Aug 19, 2018 at 2:03 pm Reason: misread
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
Same price

Interesting I thought you had to have Canadian passport to be eligible for the longer visa. Canadian is 10 years or remaining time on passport whichever is less. US passport visa outlives the passport.
poster never said he didn't have Canadian passport. Referral to Brazil was to ease of obtaining Brazilian visa in Vancouver
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by cagcag
poster never said he didn't have Canadian passport. Referral to Brazil was to ease of obtaining Brazilian visa in Vancouver
yep i misread.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
AND IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN GUAM AND CHINA THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST NOT BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING UA FLIGHT 156.
Does United realize that this is only.. one direction?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Mileage Plus - Executive Club
I'm trying to figure this whole thing, leaving from DFW... Could anyone give me a lead please?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:10 pm

No easy shortcut

Originally Posted by .Benjamin.
I'm trying to figure this whole thing, leaving from DFW... Could anyone give me a lead please?
I'm not an expert on this deal but I've been following it almost since the beginning and since no one has ventured a reply yet, let me offer you my two cents:

I think you are going to have to read the thread from the beginning and take notes. I know, the thread is long and it's getting old so some information will be outdated but there are still opportunities available, not as good as it was but still... The best was when you could go to HGH but (someone correct me if I'm wrong) United has stopped going there last fall. Try at first a departure from a United hub (SFO, LAX, DEN, IAH, IAD, ORD or EWR) to PEK, PVG, HKG then return with a final swing (that you will drop) to a Canadian city like YUL, YOW, YYC, YYZ, YVR, etc. Then, when you find something interesting, try adding a leg from DFW.
flockavelliFT and .Benjamin. like this.

Last edited by FamTaYul; Sep 1, 2018 at 11:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.