FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   BA: France - Canada €275! ai (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/1706709-ba-france-canada-275-ai.html)

Murdocki Aug 31, 2015 11:52 am

BA: France - Canada €275! ai

Ex, from Toulouse to Vancouver

http://i.imgur.com/aIBzUZt.png?1

tymoon25 Aug 31, 2015 12:13 pm

1€ base fares what is this again? And then they cancel or what?

Guava Aug 31, 2015 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by tymoon25 (Post 25356264)
1€ base fares what is this again? And then they cancel or what?

No clue, however, if you intend to pursue BA for any of their recent fiasco, you will be wise to take a screenshot of this as a part of your exhibit to be presented to a judge or investigator on just how ridiculous BA can be and how impossible it is for a reasonable consumer to ascertain whether a given fare is a invalid or not.

tarman Aug 31, 2015 12:21 pm

AVOID!!
these fares are useless. BA will simply cancel your tickets after issuing an eticket

veeRob Aug 31, 2015 12:23 pm

Strange fare as it doesn't show up on ITA that I can see. Wonder how this was found.

TheBOSman Aug 31, 2015 12:26 pm

Doesn't everyone know this is impossibly low and BA can't possibly intend to sell any tickets at this price? Won't someone think of The World's most ineffective revenue management Favourite Airline! Only crooks and thieves on the internet would book this :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: .

AA_EXP09 Aug 31, 2015 12:31 pm

For EUR 40-50 more you can route via the USA-i.e. NCE-LON-MIA-LAX-YVR v.v.
(note that this does go over MPM, in which case the appropriate overage would be due.)

trapped Aug 31, 2015 12:34 pm

Similar to AA fares a week or two ago? Seeing some CDG - YYZ on there as well? I won't be booking hotels anytime soon!

WhiteYUL Aug 31, 2015 12:40 pm

can't replicate on ITA, but get to the Opodo page. well see how this one pans out... good luck to those that wish to benefit!

Guava Aug 31, 2015 12:40 pm

For fun, I tried out different combos from Toulouse/Marseilles to YYZ/YUL/YVR and on different dates. All have a base fare of 1€.

Even after being a FF for almost 20 years, I still can't tell, in good conscience whether this fare is real or a mistake. I have seen plenty of ex-EU fare at 1€, this is nothing new but they were all for intra-Europe flights. I have not seen a translatlantic flight at 1€ however, not even on Easyjet or Ryanair. Oh wait, they don't fly to Canada, my bad. Perhaps BA is trying to become Ryanair of transatlantic, given their repeated errors and abysmal customer service, that wouldn't be a surprise.

I happen to need a flight out of Toulouse given that there are friends I promise to visit this year in south-west France in the pays d'Oc that I have not done so yet. But seeing the way BA constantly cries wolf lately, I am going to play one of those villagers and consider this is another cry wolf incident and BA is the farm boy that deserves to be eaten by the wolves.

PbodyPhoto Aug 31, 2015 12:44 pm

There is €1 or even €.50 base fares across the Atlantic all the time!

TheBOSman Aug 31, 2015 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Guava (Post 25356409)
For fun, I tried out different combos from Toulouse/Marseilles to YYZ/YUL/YVR and on different dates. All have a base fare of 1€.

Even after being a FF for almost 20 years, I still can't tell, in good conscience whether this fare is real or a mistake. I have seen plenty of ex-EU fare at 1€, this is nothing new but they were all for intra-Europe flights. I have not seen a translatlantic flight at 1€ however, not even on Easyjet or Ryanair. Oh wait, they don't fly to Canada, my bad. Perhaps BA is trying to become Ryanair of transatlantic, given their repeated errors and abysmal customer service, that wouldn't be a surprise.

I happen to need a flight out of Toulouse given that there are friends I promise to visit this year in south-west France in the pays d'Oc that I have not done so yet. But seeing the way BA constantly cries wolf lately, I am going to play one of those villagers and consider this is another cry wolf incident and BA is the farm boy that deserves to be eaten by the wolves.

I've actually seen a lot of $1 or 1 euro or 1 pound etc. base fares TATL. With the magnitude of the fuel surcharge (whether they actually call it that or not anymore), and airlines not wanting to lower that for other reasons, the final price makes relative sense. However, it just goes to show the total folly of the reasoning for the surcharge, as surely even if jet fuel was somehow completely free (i.e. clearly no fuel surcharge needed by any logic at all), the airlines would still lose gobs of money selling $1 base fares. But, this is the system the airlines have created, and the reason a particular 40k+ post thread exists in the MR Discussion area.

EZEDoesIt Aug 31, 2015 12:49 pm

I'm almost certain I've seen SkyTeam TATL fares of €1.

Guava Aug 31, 2015 12:56 pm

Neither the ITA or any reputable OTA can price this at the price shown on BA.com, it seems this is yet another mistake fare. I'll post this in the BA forum to ask what the seasoned BA flyers think.

Edit to add: Someone already beat me to it, it's started in the BA forum. Grab your popcorn, sit back and enjoy the show!

headingwest Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm

At this rate I think BA will be soon employing more backroom staff!

clearedforlanding Aug 31, 2015 1:04 pm

There have been low price transatlantic tickets out of OSL, ARN, CPH etc. I don't see why this can't be a genuine one ex-France. I'd happily book this if I needed it without worrying about BA cancelling.

Guava Aug 31, 2015 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by headingwest (Post 25356511)

Why should they? They can just claim mistake fare and then cancel without notice.

headingwest Aug 31, 2015 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Guava (Post 25356580)
Why should they? They can just claim mistake fare and then cancel without notice.

Yeah, but they need to work out the refunds!

SEA-Flyer Aug 31, 2015 1:19 pm

This would be a useful fare for me (being based in CDG and needing to get back to SEA).

But with all the crap BA has pulled lately, I'm not sure I should bother trying to book it.

headingwest Aug 31, 2015 1:22 pm

For BA Executive Club members these are booking into 'S', that's 50% for Avios and Tier Points (i.e. 90 TPs for the return trip).

ABeautifulPlaceInThe Aug 31, 2015 1:24 pm

They are. Check the Cancun thread. I posted a job advert from last week where they are looking for Revenue Management candidates with excel skills. I kid you not.

15cats Aug 31, 2015 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 (Post 25356358)
For EUR 40-50 more you can route via the USA-i.e. NCE-LON-MIA-LAX-YVR v.v.
(note that this does go over MPM, in which case the appropriate overage would be due.)

For anyone looking to book this, I would highly recommend connecting in the USA. BA will have a tough time calling this fare an EF, especially if booked through the US for an extra 50 euros. DOT will have some jurisdiction if you book through the US, which should provide additional protections.

$1 base fares are quite common actually and the taxes and fees are charged appropriately. Book now, worry later

FlytheTail Aug 31, 2015 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by 15cats (Post 25356647)
DOT will have some jurisdiction if you book through the US, which should provide additional protections.

Not necessarily; a recent deal wasn't enforced by DOT unless the ticket originated or terminated in the U.S. (in transit didn't count).

SFO777 Aug 31, 2015 1:50 pm

Even found some days with AA code-shares where EXPs may be able to upgrade to J with SWUs.

https://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/Bri....27%20PM-L.png

FlyingOutTLV Aug 31, 2015 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 25356772)
Even found some days with AA code-shares where EXPs may be able to upgrade to J with SWUs.

You can't apply SWU to a codeshare flight. From the AA website: "Systemwide upgrades are available for one-way travel for up to three segments on American, American Eagle and US Airways marketed and operated flights".

SFO777 Aug 31, 2015 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingOutTLV (Post 25356840)
You can't apply SWU to a codeshare flight. From the AA website: "Systemwide upgrades are available for one-way travel for up to three segments on American, American Eagle and US Airways marketed and operated flights".

That's why I included "may be able". ;)
Some have reported success.

jose2000 Aug 31, 2015 2:15 pm

This is where it gets confusing. It's cheap but it's not that cheap.. it's only economy

jose2000 Aug 31, 2015 2:17 pm

The confusing thing is that they route through hubs from local airports to boost the trade in these minor places, and to do that they lower the prices so it's not always clear if it's a pricing mistake or not.

Smiley90 Aug 31, 2015 2:24 pm

Well I booked CDG-YVR-CDG for 350 USD.

If they cancel .... them, but lawl.

Originally Posted by jose2000 (Post 25356915)
This is where it gets confusing. It's cheap but it's not that cheap.. it's only economy

...that's still very cheap for an Economy flight Canada-Europe. Easily >50% off.

bodory Aug 31, 2015 2:28 pm

Probably dumpable.

By the way BA is no longer what it used to be : not so long ago you could fly TATL F with them for 350 USD ;)

terminalfive Aug 31, 2015 2:32 pm

bodory - you made me laugh there

jose2000 Aug 31, 2015 3:11 pm

There will be strikes if this gets called off. Half of france will grind to a halt.

There will even be people outside the houses of quebec protesting about human rights, so this better not be another BA 'mistake'. The poor work experience kid has already been bog-washed twice this month. Next they'll have to take away his free lunches.

DavidBRKLYN Aug 31, 2015 3:41 pm

I am finding the dates and fares I want on Kayak (for example ORY>LHR>YVR>LHR>ORY fro €307) but when I click through to the BA site the prices skyrocket.

How are you guys booking this?

A little help here, please.

Nikolaos Aug 31, 2015 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by DavidBRKLYN (Post 25357320)
I am finding the dates and fares I want on Kayak (for example ORY>LHR>YVR>LHR>ORY fro €307) but when I click through to the BA site the prices skyrocket.

Go directly to BA website.

headingwest Aug 31, 2015 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by DavidBRKLYN (Post 25357320)

Best to book directly on ba.com

orbitmic Aug 31, 2015 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 25356335)
Doesn't everyone know this is impossibly low and BA can't possibly intend to sell any tickets at this price? Won't someone think of The World's most ineffective revenue management Favourite Airline! Only crooks and thieves on the internet would book this :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: .

:D

orbitmic Aug 31, 2015 7:41 pm

although it would probably be much wiser to fire the ones (at Revenue Management) that they have...

Smiley90 Aug 31, 2015 7:55 pm

How can I check if my flight's been ticketed? Not like it matters for cancellations...

bodory Sep 1, 2015 2:03 am

Originally Posted by terminalfive (Post 25357009)
bodory - you made me laugh there

My pleasure :)

Back to the topic, ba.com is pricing CDG-DFW-YVR-LHR-ORY on AA/BA metal 339 EUR for French All Saints holidays. Not a bad deal.

RoundWay Sep 1, 2015 2:19 am

very nice find. Worth a try imo