FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   WN $49 short haul sale: look for matches (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/1620467-wn-49-short-haul-sale-look-matches.html)

iahphx Oct 14, 2014 6:34 am

WN $49 short haul sale: look for matches

WN has launched one of its best sales in years, applicable for several off peak weeks in winter (and excluding Friday and Sunday travel). The fares that are most likely to be of interest to this forum are the short haul $49 ow fares -- seemingly limited to about 500 mile trips. In years past, competitors have matched these fares, and often times you've been allowed to fly to hubs outside the 500-mile perimeter and then "double back." This is obviously useful to both earn extra miles or take advantage of hidden city ticketing.

The sale runs until Thursday. I'd start looking for matches this afternoon.

http://www.southwest.com/html/promot...ROWOWFUN141014

Given how high domestic fares have climbed, some readers are also likely to be interested in the longer haul fares, at least if your schedule works for those dates.

gunney07 Oct 14, 2014 9:29 am

WN $49 short haul sale: look for matches

I haven't been able to find any matches yet out of mke.

Whoops thought it started yesterday not this morning. Hopefully later tonight they'll be some.

Shanye2233 Oct 14, 2014 9:33 am

i found A few tickets thanks for the info , SFO-LAS LAS-LAX in jan

iahphx Oct 14, 2014 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Shanye2233 (Post 23675133)
i found A few tickets thanks for the info , SFO-LAS LAS-LAX in jan

Yeah, WN's own availability isn't bad for this sale. One of the few times this year where it seems logical to actually buy USA airline tickets, instead of redeeming credit-card earned miles for them (or those WN RR points!). But the dates have to work for you.

haddon90 Oct 14, 2014 10:59 am

trying to find stuff out of DEN

RustyC Oct 14, 2014 2:01 pm

Yick. Dec. 3-17 and Jan.6 - Feb. 11 season (seems tighter than before), and from ATL they list only JAX, RDU and RIC at $49 OW. Other cities that fall just outside the 500 miles but for which some fare relief would be welcomed (BWI, MDW, DTW, FLL, IAH, MCI, OKC, PIT and PBI) jump to $99 OW. Wish the brackets were different, but YMMV.

Thanks to OP for posting.

bholcomb Oct 14, 2014 2:21 pm

Had OKC-DEN booked for Feb and managed to get a $34 refund by rebooking, then found a $94 RT OKC-HOU for $60 after refund for MLK Weekend in Jan. Not bad.

michael_v Oct 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 23675649)
Yeah, WN's own availability isn't bad for this sale. One of the few times this year where it seems logical to actually buy USA airline tickets, instead of redeeming credit-card earned miles for them (or those WN RR points!). But the dates have to work for you.

Why does it not make sense to redeem WN RR points now? The price in points depends on the price in dollars, so the cheaper the fare, the less points needed. Am I missing something?

iahphx Oct 14, 2014 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v (Post 23676997)
Why does it not make sense to redeem WN RR points now? The price in points depends on the price in dollars, so the cheaper the fare, the less points needed. Am I missing something?

No, I'm sorry if my wording was confusing. If you have RR points, it definitely pays to redeem them. Many folks, including me, who aren't regular WN travelers have them (and a companion pass) because of the credit card deals. Honestly, WN's fares have been so high this year that there's been a disincentive to use them (hello, Avios!). This sale is good for using those points but, sadly, there are some serious date limitations.

olouie Oct 14, 2014 6:52 pm

No Friday/Sunday kills it for me.

iahphx Oct 14, 2014 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by olouie (Post 23678087)
No Friday/Sunday kills it for me.

And many others. But there is Sat. morning and Monday. I will say that getting Monday morning flights home at this fare will likely prove impossible.

olouie Oct 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Yeah just wish there were better directs from the SF Bay Area :-(
but this may be good for some vegas overnights.

ElmhurstNick Oct 14, 2014 10:13 pm

Was able to get US to match ORD-PHL-PIT/back same-day. 2356 EQM for $108 although I'm qualifying for EXP on segments.

MEM, SDF, and CLE also look to have some promise out of ORD.

haddon90 Oct 15, 2014 10:58 am

snagged two DEN-OMA back to back saturdays for $89 each. def going to SDC to try and rack up more miles. looking at DEN-IAH-OMA. shouldn't be an issue. plus i scheduled both as a 5 hour layover. worse case i'll just uber into town. never been to OMA.

olouie Oct 15, 2014 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick (Post 23678831)
Was able to get US to match ORD-PHL-PIT/back same-day. 2356 EQM for $108 although I'm qualifying for EXP on segments.

MEM, SDF, and CLE also look to have some promise out of ORD.

Did you just call for the match?