Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

WN $49 short haul sale: look for matches

Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

WN has launched one of its best sales in years, applicable for several off peak weeks in winter (and excluding Friday and Sunday travel). The fares that are most likely to be of interest to this forum are the short haul $49 ow fares -- seemingly limited to about 500 mile trips. In years past, competitors have matched these fares, and often times you've been allowed to fly to hubs outside the 500-mile perimeter and then "double back." This is obviously useful to both earn extra miles or take advantage of hidden city ticketing.

The sale runs until Thursday. I'd start looking for matches this afternoon.

http://www.southwest.com/html/promot...ROWOWFUN141014

Given how high domestic fares have climbed, some readers are also likely to be interested in the longer haul fares, at least if your schedule works for those dates.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hertz

I haven't been able to find any matches yet out of mke.

Whoops thought it started yesterday not this morning. Hopefully later tonight they'll be some.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
i found A few tickets thanks for the info , SFO-LAS LAS-LAX in jan
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
i found A few tickets thanks for the info , SFO-LAS LAS-LAX in jan
Yeah, WN's own availability isn't bad for this sale. One of the few times this year where it seems logical to actually buy USA airline tickets, instead of redeeming credit-card earned miles for them (or those WN RR points!). But the dates have to work for you.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: UA1K
trying to find stuff out of DEN
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Yick. Dec. 3-17 and Jan.6 - Feb. 11 season (seems tighter than before), and from ATL they list only JAX, RDU and RIC at $49 OW. Other cities that fall just outside the 500 miles but for which some fare relief would be welcomed (BWI, MDW, DTW, FLL, IAH, MCI, OKC, PIT and PBI) jump to $99 OW. Wish the brackets were different, but YMMV.

Thanks to OP for posting.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond
Had OKC-DEN booked for Feb and managed to get a $34 refund by rebooking, then found a $94 RT OKC-HOU for $60 after refund for MLK Weekend in Jan. Not bad.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, WN's own availability isn't bad for this sale. One of the few times this year where it seems logical to actually buy USA airline tickets, instead of redeeming credit-card earned miles for them (or those WN RR points!). But the dates have to work for you.
Why does it not make sense to redeem WN RR points now? The price in points depends on the price in dollars, so the cheaper the fare, the less points needed. Am I missing something?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by michael_v
Why does it not make sense to redeem WN RR points now? The price in points depends on the price in dollars, so the cheaper the fare, the less points needed. Am I missing something?
No, I'm sorry if my wording was confusing. If you have RR points, it definitely pays to redeem them. Many folks, including me, who aren't regular WN travelers have them (and a companion pass) because of the credit card deals. Honestly, WN's fares have been so high this year that there's been a disincentive to use them (hello, Avios!). This sale is good for using those points but, sadly, there are some serious date limitations.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:52 pm

No Friday/Sunday kills it for me.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olouie
No Friday/Sunday kills it for me.
And many others. But there is Sat. morning and Monday. I will say that getting Monday morning flights home at this fare will likely prove impossible.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:16 pm

Yeah just wish there were better directs from the SF Bay Area :-(
but this may be good for some vegas overnights.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Was able to get US to match ORD-PHL-PIT/back same-day. 2356 EQM for $108 although I'm qualifying for EXP on segments.

MEM, SDF, and CLE also look to have some promise out of ORD.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: UA1K
snagged two DEN-OMA back to back saturdays for $89 each. def going to SDC to try and rack up more miles. looking at DEN-IAH-OMA. shouldn't be an issue. plus i scheduled both as a 5 hour layover. worse case i'll just uber into town. never been to OMA.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Was able to get US to match ORD-PHL-PIT/back same-day. 2356 EQM for $108 although I'm qualifying for EXP on segments.

MEM, SDF, and CLE also look to have some promise out of ORD.
Did you just call for the match?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.