Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

UA/SAA: VPS/BOS-CPT 30,029pqm $1,587a/i RT (5.28cppqm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: SW Companion, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold, Hertz Gold

First MR post here, I realize this post may not be applicable to a wide population of folks and it is right on the cusp of MR territory based on cppqm, but figured I'd put this out there for anyone looking to knock out a big run in the start of 2013.

VPS-IAH-FRA-JNB-CPT-JNB-FRA-IAH-VPS ---$1,587 a/i -- 30,029pqm

Sample dates: 1/18-1/20 (seeing other dates in jan, feb, mar also)

23,860 award miles but since this books into S, the SAA legs between FRA-JNB-CPT earn 150% pqm per United's website, bringing the total pqm to 30,029 and right around 5.28cppqm.

Also notable is the return leg from FRA-IAH is on Lufthansa's A388, but also books into S, so should still earn 100% pqm to mileage plus.

The sample dates provided would leave you with just 3 hours in CPT before turning right back around. This would no doubt be an intense run in any class of service and particularly tough in econ, but if you're desperate to jump a premier level early on in 2013, or working towards developing blood clots, it might be worth checking out.

I haven't booked yet, but considering it to get a head start on earning 2013 premier status. Found the fare on .bomb.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Not a bad deal but I would make sure that an S fare on UA translates to an S fare on SA. I know the UA site translates it that way but I have seen where it is not always accurate.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
If JNB-CPT / CPT-JNB is booked as a codeshare under a LH marketing flight number in S class, then the flight maps into L class on the SA operating flight number.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:16 am
Original Poster

All flights have UA flight numbers but stipulate whether they are operated by SAA or LH. mcgahat makes a good point and now I am questioning whether the SAA operated flights will earn 150% pqm as UA's booking page shows it will (understand UA's website is known to be inaccurate).

Per SAA's website, if you were using Voyager (SAA's FF program) and flying in S fare code on a United flight it would earn 100% tier qualifying miles to Voyager.

So, I guess the question is, if being booked through .bomb in S and the flight has a UA flight number but is operated by SAA what fare code should this represent for pqm purposes?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:03 pm

I would be willing to bet it books into L, similar to the LH example mentioned above as UA and LH have gotten their booking codes lined up pretty well. I have zero first hand experience though but would expect 100% EQM's instead of 150% if I were booking.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
In my experience, S fares booked on united.com mapped to another fare class on SA. Some earn 150% PQM but T, V, L, W and G only earn 50% miles and PQM. One way to know for sure is to book, use the PNR for SA to check your reservation on their website and cancel within 24 hours if the fare code isn't satisfactory.

That said, 3 hours in Cape Town is a waste of all that time spent suffering in economy. For such an amazing city you'd need more time to check it out if you're going all that way. During southern summer you can pay a couple of hundred dollars more and get 30k PQM routing through IAD or NYC, skip the day's layover in Europe and spend a few days seeing Africa's most beautiful city.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Given how rare the deals seem to be out of the FL panhandle, I'm always glad to see someone post a potentially good option.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by glasnost7
In my experience, S fares booked on united.com mapped to another fare class on SA. Some earn 150% PQM but T, V, L, W and G only earn 50% miles and PQM. One way to know for sure is to book, use the PNR for SA to check your reservation on their website and cancel within 24 hours if the fare code isn't satisfactory.

That said, 3 hours in Cape Town is a waste of all that time spent suffering in economy. For such an amazing city you'd need more time to check it out if you're going all that way. During southern summer you can pay a couple of hundred dollars more and get 30k PQM routing through IAD or NYC, skip the day's layover in Europe and spend a few days seeing Africa's most beautiful city.
I agree with the idea on booking and that there are some cities that are a shame to make a MR run to as you just want to stay longer!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 5:16 am

Emirates from Houston (IAH) to Cape Town (CPT) - Mon, Jan 21- Jan 28, $1193 at 25798 miles (4.6 cpm) with 8 hr stopovers in DXB per ITA
Old Jan 1, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA ExP
I can say with a high degree of certainty that when you book an S-fare on a UA codeshare that it will not earn more than 100%.

So actual numbers are 23,878 PQM for a CPM of 6.65. Still not horrible--especially for such a nice place as CPT. In my "old age of MRing" (I say that with a healthy dose of ironic sarcasm) I'm leaning more toward the nice 5 cpm destinations rather than the crappy 2 cpm destinations.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Delta, Hyatt, YMCA
Originally Posted by HansGolden
I can say with a high degree of certainty that when you book an S-fare on a UA codeshare that it will not earn more than 100%.

So actual numbers are 23,878 PQM for a CPM of 6.65. Still not horrible--especially for such a nice place as CPT. In my "old age of MRing" (I say that with a healthy dose of ironic sarcasm) I'm leaning more toward the nice 5 cpm destinations rather than the crappy 2 cpm destinations.
Second that, BUT I do not know about many crappy destinations in the world.
It is usually what you decide to make out of it. Maybe with the exceptions of places downright dangerous (in my book it is few locations in Africa, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Syria and Israel)
Old Jan 1, 2013, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by SanFranDan
Emirates from Houston (IAH) to Cape Town (CPT) - Mon, Jan 21- Jan 28, $1193 at 25798 miles (4.6 cpm) with 8 hr stopovers in DXB per ITA
Thank you, this one sounds like real fun. I just need to get to IAH from IAD
Old Jan 1, 2013, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by glasnost7

Second that! I did spend a week there last year on KLM MR (well OK since it was a week maybe I should not call it MR) and it is absolutely a blast. Get LP or DK EW guidebook for Cape Town and have a fantastic vacation, just do not feed the baboons and definitively do not try to throw the stones at them. When I was there newspapers were writing about the European tourist who did just that. He missed, but baboon did not...
Old Jan 1, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by RobbyBobby
Second that, BUT I do not know about many crappy destinations in the world.
It is usually what you decide to make out of it. Maybe with the exceptions of places downright dangerous (in my book it is few locations in Africa, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Syria and Israel)
I agree (except for the Syria and Israel parts) and it would have been more precise to say, "I lean more toward places where I will enjoy it" rather than impugning the place.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HansGolden

So should the pqms only earn at the 100% rate, has anyone had any luck making a false advertising claim to UA and getting the miles credited retroactively since UA's website is still reflecting the 150% pqm earrn rate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.