FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-455/)
-   -   Radio Anago, Chicago - Brutal Review. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest/1920159-radio-anago-chicago-brutal-review.html)

milepig Jul 16, 2018 8:32 am

Radio Anago, Chicago - Brutal Review.

I'm posting this here, since it is less about Chicago or the restaurant itself (which I won't be spending any money in) but more a great example of how how a talented reviewer can completely skewer a restaurant, especially brutal since it is the latest offering of an otherwise amazingly successful chef/owner. I guess it shows that no one can turn out nothing but hits:

Radio Anago Is a Rare Misstep for Hogsalt Hospitality | Chicago magazine | August 2018

swag Jul 16, 2018 9:23 am

"what arrived was three overbattered, burnt boneless thighs. They resembled something between a trio of burgers left overnight on a grill and decomposing limbs in a serial killer’s basement."

:eek: :D

milepig Jul 16, 2018 9:57 am

Originally Posted by swag (Post 29979201)
"what arrived was three overbattered, burnt boneless thighs. They resembled something between a trio of burgers left overnight on a grill and decomposing limbs in a serial killer’s basement."

:eek: :D

I'm torn between:

Under dim orange lamps, couples with tattoo sleeves and Harry Caray glasses sip Negronis and look beautifully bored, adding to the feeling that you’ve stumbled into a Heineken ad set in a Japanese-themed nightclub.

and

But the hoisin-painted pork belly tucked inside, along with scallions and pickled cucumber, was tragically undercooked, lending the meat the springy texture of a lukewarm Sausage McMuffin.

gretchendz Jul 23, 2018 9:17 pm

Ouch

Just ouch :)

Thanks for posting :)

chgoeditor Aug 2, 2018 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 29979018)
I'm posting this here, since it is less about Chicago or the restaurant itself (which I won't be spending any money in) but more a great example of how how a talented reviewer can completely skewer a restaurant, especially brutal since it is the latest offering of an otherwise amazingly successful chef/owner. I guess it shows that no one can turn out nothing but hits:

Radio Anago Is a Rare Misstep for Hogsalt Hospitality Chicago magazine August 2018

I'm late to the game -- and love most of Sodikoff's restaurants -- but he's had failures before. What about the Jewish deli style spot on Kinzie? (Was there where Bavette's now is? Can't remember.)

Apropos of nothing, I like to describe Sodikoff as "never having met a lightbulb he likes." (Green St. might be the exception.) But I really do love most of his places, and Bavette's is our #1 favorite steakhouse in the city (including where we celebrated our engagement and annually celebrate our "engagiversary").