Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jordan/Lebanon trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Jordan/Lebanon trip

Thinking of doing a trip to Jordan and Lebanon late October, how does this look?

Jordan
1 day Amman
1 day Petra
1 day Aljun/Jerash/Dead Sea
1 day Mount Nebo/Madaba

Lebanon
2 days Beirut
1 day Byblos/Grotto/Harissa
1 day Baalbek/Anjar
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by slickvik
Thinking of doing a trip to Jordan and Lebanon late October, how does this look?

Jordan
1 day Amman
1 day Petra
1 day Aljun/Jerash/Dead Sea
1 day Mount Nebo/Madaba
I've never been to Lebanon, so I can't comment on that part, but you're trying to squeeze a whole lot of Jordan into those four days. For starters, you could drop the Dead Sea from day 3 unless there's something specific you want to see or do there. It's south of Amman, while Ajloun and Jerash, which you have on the same day, are near each other and to the north. You'll be much closer to the Dead Sea when you visit Mt. Nebo/Madaba on your fourth day if it's a must. I don't think one day is enough for Petra either, but if that's all the time you have, it's better than nothing. And too bad you'll miss Wadi Rum ... Nothing against Lebanon, but have you considered leaving it for another trip?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Make sure you have a swim at the Dead Sea. I wouldn't discard that from your trip.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Make sure you have a swim at the Dead Sea. I wouldn't discard that from your trip.
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. I spent two nights at the Jordan Valley Marriott just over a year ago (in March). Walked down to the water, walked around on the sand, dipped my toes in, hung out for a while, and walked back up to the hotel. Very few of the people on the narrow beach were actually in the water, and most of those were there just long enough to smear themselves with the reportedly beneficial mud from the bottom. I don't recall a single swimmer, though I did see some on the Israeli side a week or so later. The reality, IMHO, doesn't live up to the hype. The only reason I think you might want to go out of your way to do that, in what will be a very rushed trip where you will be able to do little more than check off "been there" boxes on your itinerary as you zoom through destinations, would be if you think a picture of yourself swimming there would look good in a blog post. I think a picture of yourself in front of the misnamed "Treasury" at Petra would be even better.

Added in edit: There might be more swimmers in August, but I wouldn't want to visit the Middle East in August if I had a choice. October, when the OP plans to go, is in between.

Last edited by Efrem; Apr 15, 2018 at 11:40 am
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Efrem
I've never been to Lebanon, so I can't comment on that part, but you're trying to squeeze a whole lot of Jordan into those four days. For starters, you could drop the Dead Sea from day 3 unless there's something specific you want to see or do there. It's south of Amman, while Ajloun and Jerash, which you have on the same day, are near each other and to the north. You'll be much closer to the Dead Sea when you visit Mt. Nebo/Madaba on your fourth day if it's a must. I don't think one day is enough for Petra either, but if that's all the time you have, it's better than nothing. And too bad you'll miss Wadi Rum ... Nothing against Lebanon, but have you considered leaving it for another trip?
You’re right Lebanon I can cut to 2 days I think. I didn’t know Dead Sea was south of Amman, I suppose I could combine Dead Sea with Mount nebo, if it’s even necessary to see it. Maybe I could add umm qais with aljun and jerash?

Last edited by slickvik; Apr 15, 2018 at 7:14 am
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Just go with the flow slickvik and see what happens. Two days is not enough for Lebanon, unless you only plan to stay in Beirut and enjoy the sites and sounds of the city (which has a lot to offer by the way).
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
I'd suggest trying to fit Wadi Rum in.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Did a brief 5 day jordan trip and felt I missed a lot.

Did a week in Lebanon and was satisfied with what I did. Would have liked more time in Tripoli, but saw Baalbek, Byblos, Beirut, Sidon and some inland time walking around the cedars.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: travel
I have some plan to discuss, these are some places you can plan them according to your own convenience
Explore the city of Amman, travel to Petra via Madaba, Mt. Nebo and Kerak. Some of the world’s finest Byzantine mosaics are found in Madaba, as is the oldest known map of the Holy Land. Mt. Nebo, thought to be the burial site of Moses, boasts a splendid view of the Dead Sea. Visit Kerak’s massive Crusader Castle, built on a plateau 3,400 feet above sea level. This famous castle lies in the biblical land of Moab and was a Moabite stronghold long before the Crusaders built the castle for which it is famous today.
get ready to explore the red-rose city of Petra, an industrious Arab population that settled in this city for more than 2,000 years ago. Most of the monuments in Petra are carved out of the solid rock. The highlights of the tour are: • The spectacular Treasury • The 8,000 seat amphitheater • The temple of the Winged Lions Later after the tour.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kazimpinoy
I have some plan to discuss, these are some places you can plan them according to your own convenience
Explore the city of Amman, travel to Petra via Madaba, Mt. Nebo and Kerak. Some of the world’s finest Byzantine mosaics are found in Madaba, as is the oldest known map of the Holy Land. Mt. Nebo, thought to be the burial site of Moses, boasts a splendid view of the Dead Sea. Visit Kerak’s massive Crusader Castle, built on a plateau 3,400 feet above sea level. This famous castle lies in the biblical land of Moab and was a Moabite stronghold long before the Crusaders built the castle for which it is famous today.
get ready to explore the red-rose city of Petra, an industrious Arab population that settled in this city for more than 2,000 years ago. Most of the monuments in Petra are carved out of the solid rock. The highlights of the tour are: • The spectacular Treasury • The 8,000 seat amphitheater • The temple of the Winged Lions Later after the tour.
These are all good suggestions, but this post (after its opening sentence) was taken in its entirety from Days 2 and 3 of SITA World Tours' "Petra Express" tour page, which can be found here:

https://www.sitatours.com/MiddleEast...aexpress_4days

with no credit to the source or even any statement that it did not originate with the poster. Let's give credit where credit is due, or perhaps even just suggest that the OP visit that page for some good ideas.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Booked the trip arriving AMM late night October 25 and leaving BEY early morning November 3. Thinking of the following:

Jordan
October 26: Amman
October 27: Petra
October 28: Aljun/Jerash/Al-Salt
October 29: Mount Nebo/Madaba/Dead Sea

Lebanon
October 30: Fly to Beirut in AM, spend day exploring
October 31: Byblos/Grotto/Harissa
November 1: Baalbek/Anjar
November 2: Sidon/Tyre

November 3: Fly back

Last edited by slickvik; May 2, 2018 at 9:58 am
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by slickvik
Booked the trip arriving AMM late night October 25 and leaving BEY early morning November 3. Thinking of the following:

Jordan
October 26: Amman
October 27: Petra
October 28: Aljun/Jerash/Al-Salt
October 29: Mount Nebo/Madaba/Dead Sea

Lebanon
October 30: Fly to Beirut in AM, spend day exploring
October 31: Byblos/Grotto/Harissa
November 1: Baalbek/Anjar
November 2: Sidon/Tyre

November 3: Fly back
how'd this trip go? I'm planning to be in Jordan for 4-5 days and wondering whats a good itinerary to do. I'll be solo traveling so I don't mind moving around a bit with a private driver
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Ended up going to Jordan only for 3 days.

Day 1: Petra
Day 2: Dead sea and various other sites on the way to Amman from Petra
Day 3: Jerash/Ajloun and Amman citadel
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:39 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I was in Amman a number of years ago. It wasn't the most pleasant for ambling, but I dug the Roman history, the friendly locals, and the food (save for the humdrum mansaf). Petra was a roughly 3.5 hour minivan ride away; indeed, that was worth the death-defying journey.

Lately, I've been interested to revisit Amman, if only due an episode of Ainsley Harriott's (British singer/chef) travel-food show.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
... I dug the Roman history, the friendly locals, and the food (save for the humdrum mansaf)...
I felt the same way after my first mansaf dinner (at a highly-regarded Amman restaurant). However, I had it twice more during my 2016 visit and totally changed my mind after the second and third. Give it another shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.