Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi hotel recommendation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold, VS Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat

Hi folks,

I have 4 nights in Abu Dhabi in the first week of December (not a layover) to sample Etihad’s product. I’ve been once before so not intent on spending the whole time sightseeing. Working on the basis it’s still warm enough for sunbathing by the pool and the beach?

I’ve booked a night at the Hilton for the 1st night and the Hilton Capital Grand for the 4th as we land late/leave early etc and helps with Diamond status renewal.

I’m looking for recommendations for a modern luxury hotel for 2 nights (Sat-Mon), budget circa 2,500 AED total. Travelling as a couple, some sightseeing but largely winter sun relaxing and not doing much.

The Rosewood (Executive Club room, 2500 AED) is/was my first choice and looks like it has the most appealing lounge with actual cocktails in the evening, good standard throughout - but appears (lacklustre?) the pool will be in the shade for most of the day?

The Jumeirah (Deluxe room Exec level, 2900 AED) looks to have a better pool (South facing?) but I can’t find much info on the lounge, and can’t get a feel for the atmosphere of it - cold and sterile with industrial views from the pool?

I also have a good price on the Fairmont with Gold level room, I had qualified this out as a bit boring but I’ve had good experiences with Fairmont properties in the past eg Vancouver Pacific Rim.

Others that made the short list were the St Regis Saadiyat, Park Hyatt and Shangri-La.

I was looking specifically for a property with a beach, but I’d probably take a hotel with a better pool and/or lounge and then head to a beach club for a day like the Park Hyatt perhaps.

Grateful for your thoughts!

Andrew.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: EY Platinum
1. The Hilton Capital Grand is in the middle of nowhere, with a view of a petrol station and a KFC.
2. First choices: St Regis Saadiyat, or Park Hyatt Saadiyat
Second choices: Ritz Carlton, St Regis Corniche, Shangri-La, Jumeirah Etihad Towers
Third choices: Fairmont, Beach Rotana

Rosewood is a business hotel in the business district. Very quiet at weekends
3. Weather will be warm but sea will be cold. Pools will be heated
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by csdf
2. First choices: St Regis Saadiyat
I, Andrew, highly recommend the St. Regis to OP Andrew. I was there back in April. This is a very nice resort. You can walk on the beach from it to other nice resorts nearby. The brunch they have is outstanding.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:41 pm

The Rosewood pool becomes under the shade in the afternoon, but they have sun loungers on the other side of the building which is just a few steps away so this should not be a huge problem. The hotel is otherwise very nice - it's my favourite unless I want to be on Saadiyat. The complex which it sits on (Galleria Mall/FS Abu Dhabi) has a pretty wide range of restaurants, both mall food court and some really good high end restaurants, particularly on weekdays with a business lunch deal.

Views out of Etihad Towers pool is not great right now, there is construction going on in full view. The club lounge there is very good in terms of F&B offering, but I find the decor too marbly/flash and not very relaxing. F&B options a bit limited compared to the Rosewood. Service is good at both.

If you don't plan to leave the property (much, or at all), then I would recommend either of the two Saadiyat properties. They have great pools and beaches. I would book through FHR to receive the benefits (upgrade, breakfast, spa credit etc) if the price difference is not too drastic.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
wrong topic selected
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Hi there, I am recycling this thread as I wanted to ask generally re weather in Abu Dhabi in mid-January. Will the sea be "warm enough" for swimming? I presume it should be OK given Abu Dhabi's location but not 100% sure
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: EY Platinum
If you're used to the North Sea, then yes. If you're used to the Maldives, then no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.