Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MIA-TLV

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

MIA-TLV

I have a trip to TLV in late May. I was wondering which airline iss recommended. Should I travel to EWR or JFK? Or fly via MAD, LHR or BCN? Thank you for your anticipated suggestions and recommendations.

Last edited by tondoleo; Dec 5, 2011 at 8:21 pm
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
You should do a search and read the ten or fifteen threads on the subject of US to TLV travel.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 9:49 am
Original Poster

I did the search. Thank you for suggesting it. However, I was hoping for more recent suggestions.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
I'm scheduled to fly to TLV from LAX in January. Chose BA in CW via LHR (obviously). It worked best for me thanks to the 2-4-1 promo. To each their own.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by greg0ire
I'm scheduled to fly to TLV from LAX in January. Chose BA in CW via LHR (obviously). It worked best for me thanks to the 2-4-1 promo. To each their own.
Out of curiosity, what was the amount of taxes for flying through England?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
I think it was around $700 and change.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tondoleo
I have a trip to TLV in late May. I was wondering which airline iss recommended. Should I travel to EWR or JFK? Or fly via MAD, LHR or BCN? Thank you for your anticipated suggestions and recommendations.
MAD and BCN will offer you only narrow body planes

I would check to see what your layover times will be if connecting in Europe, they can be very lengthy at times.

If youre flying in Y they all can be pretty bad, LHR will probably be the most expensive due to its taxes etc, while JFK or EWR will be the cheapest on the taxes and fees
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I think it depends what you care most about. Airline/alliance? Aircraft type? fare/schedule? Service quality? First/business/coach? Miles?

If you give us some idea, might have some thoughts.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

My bride wants us to go J via rewards or payment. She would also like to stop in BCN. From MIA that means IB or AA. We are sapphire on OW via our AA platinum elite status. I do have a 241 on BA. However, I priced it out and would incur $ 2,100 in surcharges. Of course, it would mean suffering in 1st class via LHR.

Thanks for the help.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:40 am
Suspended

My bride wants us to go J via rewards or payment. She would also like to stop in BCN. From MIA that means IB or AA. We are sapphire on OW via our AA platinum elite status. I do have a 241 on BA. However, I priced it out and would incur $ 2,100 in surcharges. Of course, it would mean suffering in 1st class via LHR.

Thanks for the help.
AA miles is good on LY (ElAl) as well although LYs J is no where like BAs
Old Dec 11, 2011, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
If you go revenue, going via LHR won't be too expense (comparatively). It's on the miles booking that you get hit with the high surcharges. If you want to stick to OW, your choices are BA, IB, and AA. I'd go with BA on this one in CW (or F if you're willing ). It definitely beats the other 2. (And that would be via LHR.)

While AA miles are good on LY C, that's not in the same league as CW (though some, specifically ebzed, differ). And AA miles can't book LY F.

Considering you have the AA miles and the OW status, it makes sense to book OW. The only reason to stay away from BA is because of the airport tax (mileage booking). Otherwise, go for BA. (Or do AA/IB on miles, but beware that IB will be a narrowbody as craz pointed. BA from LHR is always 763/772)
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshwex90

Considering you have the AA miles and the OW status, it makes sense to book OW. The only reason to stay away from BA is because of the airport tax (mileage booking). Otherwise, go for BA. (Or do AA/IB on miles, but beware that IB will be a narrowbody as craz pointed. BA from LHR is always 763/772)
Its even worse then that, its really a Coach seat with just no one sitting in the middle seat but nothing that resembles a Biz seat and thats for apx 5 hrs. For that alone its worth ponying up the $$ to fly via LHR,IMO

made that mistake once with AF out of CDG, learnt my lesson the hard way
Old Dec 12, 2011, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Kitzur, go for BA (CW or even F) if going $$$. If going miles, I wonder if this would work: MIA-CDG-TLV, AA connecting to LY. While I don't know if that would work, that would give you AA C and LY C. While the seat is nothing to write home about, it's at least a C seat (and not a narrowbody Y seat with no one between you). And I'm a fan of LY's premium service.

Originally Posted by craz
Its even worse then that, its really a Coach seat with just no one sitting in the middle seat but nothing that resembles a Biz seat and thats for apx 5 hrs. For that alone its worth ponying up the $$ to fly via LHR,IMO

made that mistake once with AF out of CDG, learnt my lesson the hard way
Is it decent service?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

for all of the advice. I have enjoyed flying BA F. With the 241 BA coupon it may be the best way to go. Now to find dates that will do the trick.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:46 am
Suspended

for all of the advice. I have enjoyed flying BA F. With the 241 BA coupon it may be the best way to go. Now to find dates that will do the trick.
I flew BA 1st many times to TLV at least when it was 100k and Diners Club ran its 2-1 promos on transferring pts into BA , the good Ole Days

But I would hate to see what that 1 1st Class would cost , and dont forget the fees and taxes on that free tkt isnt gonna be cheap either

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.