Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Questions about Amman airport, visa, currency.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2010, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC

I will be flying on RJ to AMM, I need to overnight in AMM due to flight connections, I kwow I can get a visa on arrival for JOD 10. Is there a currency exchange where I can get JOD at the airport before the area where I need to pay for the visa? Is the exchange rate at the currency exchange fair? If so, I'll just exchange my currency here to save time once I am in AMM.

Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by startpacking
I will be flying on RJ to AMM, I need to overnight in AMM due to flight connections, I kwow I can get a visa on arrival for JOD 10. Is there a currency exchange where I can get JOD at the airport before the area where I need to pay for the visa? Is the exchange rate at the currency exchange fair? If so, I'll just exchange my currency here to save time once I am in AMM.

Thanks.
The currency exchange is about 10 meters before the visa desk. The rate is fine for just 10 JD, but you'll probably want a bit more to have for a taxi, food etc. The rate in town at an ATM will be a bit better of course, but IIRC the airport is not a blatant rip-off.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
There is an ATM in the arrivals hall just outside of customs as well, along with one or two hotel desks. There is also a relatively cheap and comfortable enough hotel (Golden Tulip), just outside the airport on the main entry road if you want to bed down there for the night and have easy access back into the airport in the morning.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
About 3 1/2 years ago, the exchange desks which sold the visa stamps (if they still use those) were taking USD 15 in lieu of JOD 10.

Are you flying in and out of AMM on RJ? I'm not 100% certain but they may put you up in the Alia hotel which now appears to be the Golden Tulip previously mentioned. It's an o.k. hotel to spend the night in as it is a long track to Amman and back. If you need something to eat, go to the first class restaurant and skip the economy class one. We found the meze (either JOD 5 for 6 dishes or JOD 6 for 5 dishes) was easily enough to feed 2.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Nexus One Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I'd try to run to the ATM or currency Booth as the visa lines get fairly long as people realize what to do once they collect in that area.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:09 pm

MUST you pay the visa free in JOD or do they take other currencies ?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Officially you MUST.

The signs are pretty clear - "Local currency only. Exchange available blah blah".

It can be a bit of a scrum at the exchange - the ATM is usually not busy though, even while everyone is at the exchange counter, IME.

The visa line gets long too. It's definitely an advantage to have JDs on you.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 1:31 pm

Hi, so there are ATMs before Immigration and visa-stamp-buy-line? Is the visa-stamp-buy-line and bank-exchange-counter the same?

Thanks.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by txl_SZ
Hi, so there are ATMs before Immigration and visa-stamp-buy-line?
An ATM last time I was there, but seldom used. You have to walk round the side of the exchange booth line to find it.

Originally Posted by txl_SZ
Is the visa-stamp-buy-line and bank-exchange-counter the same?
No.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold • AA Gold [1MM] • SPG Gold
Visa fee now JD20

The fee is now JD20.

I would bring USD / EUR / GBP and change them at the counter, as the ATM is hit or miss.

If you can get JDs before you leave, that will save you having to line-up twice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.