Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Do I Really Need to Sit for Last Hour of Flights to TLV

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

I've only heard this announced on US-based airlines on flights to TLV, as well as once on LX: "Due to Israeli security policies, you are required to remain seated for the last hour of the flight."

Knowing Israel, likely this policy doesn't exist. Have people heard this on other airlines? Is this really the case?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I've only heard this announced on US-based airlines on flights to TLV, as well as once on LX: "Due to Israeli security policies, you are required to remain seated for the last hour of the flight."

Knowing Israel, likely this policy doesn't exist. Have people heard this on other airlines? Is this really the case?
Yep, same announcement on AC. Though I believe the captain said the rule applied when entering/flying in Israeli airspace, which was roughly 45min before touch-down.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
same on EasyJet from London
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Yep, same announcement on AC. Though I believe the captain said the rule applied when entering/flying in Israeli airspace, which was roughly 45min before touch-down.
That's the announcement on CO as well. But they don't make this announcement on LY or LH, or a couple of other airlines. If this really is a policy, why isn't LY, of all airlines, enforcing it? And what would be the rationale?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the announcement on CO as well. But they don't make this announcement on LY or LH, or a couple of other airlines. If this really is a policy, why isn't LY, of all airlines, enforcing it? And what would be the rationale?
No idea whether the policy was set by the Israeli government, the home carrier´s security agencies or the airlines.

Maybe the policy applies only to carriers which don´t have at least 2 sky marshalss on all flights to TLV or some similar criteria? That would be the most obvious difference IMO (with LY having Israeli security officers onboard all flights, I wouldn´t be surprised if they were exempt from some of the policies.)
Old Sep 2, 2011, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Never heard this on Lhr tlv on ba. Flown this route many times. On ly they can't people people in their seats even when taxiing to the gate.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No idea whether the policy was set by the Israeli government, the home carrier´s security agencies or the airlines.

Maybe the policy applies only to carriers which don´t have at least 2 sky marshalss on all flights to TLV or some similar criteria? That would be the most obvious difference IMO (with LY having Israeli security officers onboard all flights, I wouldn´t be surprised if they were exempt from some of the policies.)
The announcement is for the last 45 minutes as you mentioned before, and they claim it's from the Ministry of Homeland Security. What would having the sky marshals on board do?
Meaning, if they don't want people out of their seats because they don't want security issues, why only the last 45 minutes? Because the IAF wouldn't have enough time to react to an issue, but more than 45 min they would? (Which isn't true anyways.)
Old Sep 5, 2011, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The announcement is for the last 45 minutes as you mentioned before, and they claim it's from the Ministry of Homeland Security. What would having the sky marshals on board do?
Meaning, if they don't want people out of their seats because they don't want security issues, why only the last 45 minutes? Because the IAF wouldn't have enough time to react to an issue, but more than 45 min they would? (Which isn't true anyways.)
I was just thinking some bureaucrat may have been thinking something up along the lines of

"The plane is at higher risk of being hijacked/crashed into a city near TLV than over the ocean, so let´s forbid pax to get up during approach => The risk is lower on LY flights as those always have sky marshals onboard => XY airline doesn´t, so let´s impose some other restrictions"

I´m sure it´s a little more complicated than that with several governments involved, but considering various countries have implemented additional security measures (e.g. TLV-bound planes are accompanied by tanks at FRA), I think it´s entirely possible the 45min rule actually exists (for some countries).
Old Sep 5, 2011, 4:51 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Being TLV based, I fly a variety of airlines in/out of TLV. It's a hit and miss situation whether the captain will make this announcement or not.

I think you have a few minutes after the captain makes the announcements to finish moving around, but the crew would get a bit antsy if you're still walking around long after the announcement was made.

Oddly enough, they seem to enforce this less in the Premium cabin, from my experience.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was just thinking some bureaucrat may have been thinking something up along the lines of

"The plane is at higher risk of being hijacked/crashed into a city near TLV than over the ocean, so let´s forbid pax to get up during approach => The risk is lower on LY flights as those always have sky marshals onboard => XY airline doesn´t, so let´s impose some other restrictions"

I´m sure it´s a little more complicated than that with several governments involved, but considering various countries have implemented additional security measures (e.g. TLV-bound planes are accompanied by tanks at FRA), I think it´s entirely possible the 45min rule actually exists (for some countries).
The additional security I understand, similar to CO flights having a secondary check by the gate leaving EWR.

The issue here is, why is the plane any more likely to get hijacked the last 45 minutes versus anytime over the ocean?

Originally Posted by bostonbali
Being TLV based, I fly a variety of airlines in/out of TLV. It's a hit and miss situation whether the captain will make this announcement or not.

I think you have a few minutes after the captain makes the announcements to finish moving around, but the crew would get a bit antsy if you're still walking around long after the announcement was made.

Oddly enough, they seem to enforce this less in the Premium cabin, from my experience.
Interesting...on CO, I notice it more in BF than in Y
Old Sep 7, 2011, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
I have a business trip to Israel coming up. This rule would give me a problem. Unfortunately I need to visit wc fairly regularly and can only cope on flights if I go right before fasten seat belt sign comes up. If there is an additional time period to observe beforehand I'd better think of flying into AMM and then making a road journey. Or is Cyprus and then a boat journey a viable option? can you directly to Haifa from Cyprus?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jahason
I have a business trip to Israel coming up. This rule would give me a problem. Unfortunately I need to visit wc fairly regularly and can only cope on flights if I go right before fasten seat belt sign comes up. If there is an additional time period to observe beforehand I'd better think of flying into AMM and then making a road journey. Or is Cyprus and then a boat journey a viable option? can you directly to Haifa from Cyprus?
All those options you mention are longer than the sit down rule for flying. If the restroom is a real issue for you, I don't see these as better options. Maybe speak to an FA and explain the issue beforehand
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:29 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by jahason
No boats to Israel.
Road journey is not a very good idea.
Fly ElAl in C. They will let you use the WC almost until landing.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Elal will be accommodating. Even in the back but c would be a much nicer experience.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Elal will be accommodating. Even in the back but c would be a much nicer experience.
A bit OT - LY (Elal) C-class is a much nicer experience than Y class, but it's certainly not a nicer experience than most other carrier's C class (CO, BA, LH, etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.