Best way to get from bwi-white house area-fedex field

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2009, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club

On september 19 (sat) im flying into bwi. i want to stay at the st. regis by the white house and maybe have dinner or something around there, and maybe go to a museum or two.

then on the 20th im meeting my dad and brother for the redskins game at fedex field.

transportation wise, i was wondering the best way to do it. I will likely have just a small bag and maybe a backpack. is there any way to do it without taxis? (public transportation?) i would just stay at a hotel near bwi because from what i remember theres a metro that goes from bwi almost right to fedex field (iirc) but i want to see some of dc and dont want to be going back to the bwi area from dc at night.

thanks
Old Sep 10, 2009, 6:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
For BWI to DC on a Saturday you can do AMTRAK from the BWI station to Union Station (the cheaper MARC trains don't run on weekends). There's a free shuttle bus that runs between BWI and BWI Station. If you have a 3A card you'll get a discount for booking. Around $12 one way for the cheapest trains without a discount ($10.80 with 3A discount).
Old Sep 10, 2009, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Agreed about Amtrak to Union Station and then metro to wherever you want to go.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:49 pm

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
Then from DC to FedEx Field, you can take the Blue Line out to the Addison Rd station.

http://fedex.com/us/sports/fedexfield/addisonroad.html
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
You can get there but you probably won't want to go back. I've been there three times, twice in the suites, and the only way I would go again is if I get another suite invite (with a parking pass attached). It really is about as bad a football experience as there is in the NFL.

IMO, the best way to deal with a game at Fedex is on TV and this is from somebody who has attended a full slate of games each year for more years than I care to remember.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gtownguy
Then from DC to FedEx Field, you can take the Blue Line out to the Addison Rd station.
Actually, I think you want the Morgan Boulevard exit. It's walkable to Fedex Field. It's been open for almost five years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_...hington_Metro)
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

from union sta to the st regis, there is the circulator. lot of restaurants within walking distance of st regis, as are museums. lots of restaurants between museum and st regis.

""metro that goes from bwi almost right to fedex field "" but it certainly is not very direct. also food in the area of bwi is lousy at best, with the exception of the little spice, which is a cab ride away.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
If cost is the main concern, forget Amtrak and take the B30 Metrobus ($3.10 cash or $3 SmarTrip), which goes to the Greenbelt station on the Metro. The B30 leaves directly from the arrivals level outside the international pier.

From Greenbelt you'd take the Green Line in the direction of Branch Ave. and transfer to the Red Line to Shady Grove/Grosvenor at Fort Totten.

There's no Metro that goes anywhere close to BWI. Perhaps you're thinking of the Baltimore Light Rail, which takes you close to the Camden Yards sports complex.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by choster
If cost is the main concern, forget Amtrak and take the B30 Metrobus ($3.10 cash or $3 SmarTrip), which goes to the Greenbelt station on the Metro. The B30 leaves directly from the arrivals level outside the international pier.

From Greenbelt you'd take the Green Line in the direction of Branch Ave. and transfer to the Red Line to Shady Grove/Grosvenor at Fort Totten.

There's no Metro that goes anywhere close to BWI. Perhaps you're thinking of the Baltimore Light Rail, which takes you close to the Camden Yards sports complex.
thanks. im probably going to go with the amtrak. the difference between $3 and $12 is not that much and having to switch buses doesn't really warrant it. i just don't want to spend $100 on cab rides while there.

thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.