Wiki Posts
Search

I did not think it was possible for Dulles to get worse....I was wrong

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
I did not think it was possible for Dulles to get worse....I was wrong

Holy crap, has anyone traveled in our out of Dulles (IAD) since they opened up the underground train system?
I did not think it was humanly possible to make that a worse system than what they had with the people movers. I was wrong!!!!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:50 am

Details, please.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:54 am

I agree 100%. I HATE the new train system. To go from Concourse A to C12 last week, I had to take about 7 different escalators, 1 moving walkway, a lot of walking through crowded narrow passageways, squeeze myself into the train (it was packed with people)....all taking about 20 minutes.

The moon buggys never took more than 5 minutes to get between terminals, even if you "just missed" one...

Last edited by Brick; Feb 17, 2010 at 9:38 am Reason: Corrected misspelling
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JetAway
Details, please.
The new underground train system is now in place. It takes at least as long as the people movers, if not longer and you had better be ready for a workout.
I am in pretty good shape and lugging my carryon and computer down one escalator to go on a 1/4 mile walk, to get on a train, to go on another walk to go up and escalator to walk some more to the gates is a joke.
Also the system is not working correctly yet. The train doors are supposed to open on one side for boarding and another for deboarding. Not happening, both are opening and if you get off the wrong side, there is no escalator or elevator, only stairs.
It is really, really awful
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1P
I tend to agree as well...it does seem like quite a hike once you get off the train. At least with the people movers it would drop you right by the gates.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
While I rarely transit IAD, I've heard the same reports for the most part (only good reports seem to say "it's plenty fast"). Anything "bad" other than a lack of a direct connection to/from the D side? Is it a long wait? Does it lurch? Is the lighting bad? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Glad to see this OP.
I traveled through Dulles twice over the past two weeks and the system is downright pathetic.
I actually have to say that I prefer the moonbuggies now because they actually got me from C/D to A/B much faster than this disastrous system.
I'm wondering if it's a TSA-approved design.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
It is a bit faster than the moon buggies, depending when you arrive. (The trains seem to have an odd schedule after 11pm).

The only part I don't like is that flying out of the A terminal on the regional jets, it takes longer to get from one of the RCC's in the C or D terminal. The moon buggy connecting C and A used to run every five minutes.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by Neewbs
It is a bit faster than the moon buggies, depending when you arrive. (The trains seem to have an odd schedule after 11pm).

The only part I don't like is that flying out of the A terminal on the regional jets, it takes longer to get from one of the RCC's in the C or D terminal. The moon buggy connecting C and A used to run every five minutes.
I'd have to disagree on the speed. I arrived at C and it took me a full 5 minutes from hitting the down escelator just to get to the trains. If I had stopped and jumped on one of the Moon Buggys i would have gotten there much quicker.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
I never understood the displeasure with the moon buggy system. Seemed like people just needed something to complain about. The only time the buggy system gets REAL bad is when you're coming in from INTL and have to wait, and wait, and wait for the buggy to leave for customs.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
I never understood the displeasure with the moon buggy system. Seemed like people just needed something to complain about. The only time the buggy system gets REAL bad is when you're coming in from INTL and have to wait, and wait, and wait for the buggy to leave for customs.
People complaining in the UA forum ? ... would be a first.

As far as the new train ... I guess I'll see for myself tomorrow ... first flights since early Jan.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:04 pm

I used the train system for the first time last weekend going to C terminal and I agree it involved a lot more walking than the old moon buggy system. After clearing security I had to walk, go up an escalator, walk some more, and then go down an escalator to get on the train. After about a 4-5 minute train ride I got off the train, went up another escalator, then took a LONG walk through a tunnel and up another escalator to arrive at C. All in all it probably took a couple minutes more than the old way of doing things.

From the system map it looks like going to C is the worst of possible experiences on the train. The train to A or B (or, the tunnel allowing one to possibly walk - a nice option if you feel like walking, which didn't use to exist) isn't as long of a ride and drops you in a location closer to gates. I assume you'd still have the same number of escalators to ride.

And there is still a moon buggy from D to A for those who want to take a quick ride over to A from a RCC.

All in all I think the main allure of the train is the new, modern sleek appearance and feeling. While the moon buggies may have been practical, they also felt dated and I think many felt they contributed to the impression of Dulles as being outdated. Also, since the train requires no driver, maybe in 50 years the savings from reducing the staff of moon buggy drivers might be enough to offset the massive cost of building the train.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
I rode it Sunday night just to see what it was like even though my flight was leaving from the D gates. My thoughts mirror those of others. Did not seem like any time savings are achieved. And while the C gate stop results in a tunnel and escalators to actually get to the present day C gates, the stop itself was built for use with the future C/D terminal. Of course, the current C/D terminal has been temporary for how many years now?? So don't hold your breath waiting for the new C/D terminal. Right now I hope all my flights leave from the D gates!
Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ECOTONE
i have always liked the MB system, and defended it. it is far superior, when compared to the bus system of many large european airports. thought i had no support at all.

i have also complained about standing at the gate waiting for a MB from customs, then getting to customs and having to wait on the MB for another significant period of time. usually ended up not making any difference, however, as after finally checking through immigration, the luggage had yet to arrive.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:29 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Yes, between the new security set up and the Aerotrain the MWAA has taken IAD from bad to terrible.

I'm doing DCA as much as possible, but the siren song of the nonstops is so strong...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.