Wiki Posts
Search

PHL Transfer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:47 am
Original Poster

PHL Transfer

Morning All,

First off just want to say Hi and how despite being a lurker in the background (before this thread) its always been a goldmine of information thats helped immeasurably so thanks!

Now I did have a little search but couldn't see anything so thought i best ask. I'm not weekly or even monthly regular flier but normally use BA to travel to YYZ one or two times a year from NCL and have never had any issue as its pretty straight forward after checking bags in. Next month however I'm travelling NCL > LHR > PHL > MCO > MIA > LHR > NCL and just wanted to ask what's the transfer like for the internal US flights.

Its all booked on one ticket and assuming there's plenty time (BA67 then BA6871) of 2 hours plus for transfer, however was wandering do the bags go straight through or do i need to pick them up PHL side and I've read mixed reports about transfers there being both decent and a horror at different times.

Any advice would be much appreciated and again, hello all
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It is very easy to transfer at PHL in fact it’s my preferred connection point, you will clear immigration pick up your bags and clear customs before handing your bags back in at the transfer counter just outside the exit from customs, NCL should label your bags through to MCO.
Cymro likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: BA GGL
Another vote for PHL as a connection point to a domestic flight. My favourite. Super easy from customs check point to bag transfer point.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies and seems like its a pretty easy experience so shouldn't be any issues at all!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The only issue will be "Which Gate". PHL is a very wide airport, and it can take 10 minutes to get from one spine to another. The OP's 2 hours will, I'm sure, be fine.

(Never 'immigrated' there, though - have always arrived ex-DUB with pre-clearance.)
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Welcome on board In_FrequentFlyer. Now that you've broken through from lurker to poster we hope to see more of you. I will cast another vote in favour of PHL. It's one I use a fair bit as there's a direct flight from my home airport.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:28 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
PHL is a great airport, but it will depend slightly on whether your connecting flight leaves from Concourse A, or Concourse B/C - which is a little walk away.

Regrettably, you probably won't know until the day before (check the AA app).

M
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A West to C is only about 1,300 yards I discovered recently, and with mobile walkways for much of it. A to F is a different story, I believe!!

PHL Maps
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:10 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
In_FrequentFlyer, welcome to FT. Let’s move your thread over to our Mid-Atlantic destination forum where you should get great advice from the locals who use the airport most.

/mod
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by T8191
A West to C is only about 1,300 yards I discovered recently, and with mobile walkways for much of it. A to F is a different story, I believe!!

PHL Maps
Walked F to B back in May. If you have no mobility difficulties, and you’re a brisk walker, it’s probably 10-15 mins in total. Add another 5 minutes to get down to the BA lounge in A.

The free shuttle bus from A to F is another option: 5 mins journey time and the services are very frequent during the afternoons. It leaves from gate A7 or thereabouts.

This trip in May was my first time connecting in PHL and a missed connection due to a thunderstorm meant I had plenty of time to explore. It’s a big, modern airport - much more like ORD than JFK. I will use it again in preference to JFK.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
PHL is easy and the baggage issue is the same as at pretty much all US airports. Bags are checked through from origin to final ticketed destination, but physically carried through Customs at the first point of entry and then dropped (because already tagged) post-Customs.

In the limited circumstances where through technology or intellect challenges, a bag can't be tagged to the final destination, in this case MCO, the same drop point can tag the bag for you. Just takes an extra 2 minutes because you have to wait.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by T8191

PHL Maps
Originally Posted by frank_poulankh

Walked F to B back in May. If you have no mobility difficulties, and you’re a brisk walker, it’s probably 10-15 mins in total. Add another 5 minutes to get down to the BA lounge in A.

The free shuttle bus from A to F is another option: 5 mins journey time and the services are very frequent during the afternoons. It leaves from gate A7 or thereabouts.

This trip in May was my first time connecting in PHL and a missed connection due to a thunderstorm meant I had plenty of time to explore. It’s a big, modern airport - much more like ORD than JFK. I will use it again in preference to JFK.
Agree on the shuttle, i've used this for tight connections between A-F and it meant I was still able to grab a coffee in the Admirals Club
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by aidy
Agree on the shuttle, i've used this for tight connections between A-F and it meant I was still able to grab a coffee in the Admirals Club
Just to make sure the OP is not thrown off course with this talk of Concourse F... I doubt a flight to or from Orlando has ever operated on F.
T8191, aidy and Often1 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's the FT way to throw irrelevant issues into a simple question !
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
It's the FT way to throw irrelevant issues into a simple question !
I hang my head in shame

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.