Wiki Posts
Search

Diners near Hopkins' Homewood campus

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Diners near Hopkins' Homewood campus

Looking for a place to grab a quick and inexpensive breakfast near JHU. Looking for a coffee shop/diner type place in which you can order eggs and the waitress keeps pouring the coffee. Easy parking is a must too. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this is a good list:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/ente...sy_spoons.html

however, i don't think there are any waitress left that wear beehives and call the male customers HON.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

They weren't there in the 80s and early 90s so why return. Thanks for the link. I've seen lists too but I was hoping for some insider information about the ones near Hopkins (Roland Park, Charles Village) that has ample parking. Papermoon looks to be in Remington, not a place I'd want to leave our car unless there were a parking lot. Charles Village has limited parking from what I remember.

Papermoon is a bit pricey too. When my local coffee shop here in Manhattan can offer 2 eggs, toast, and hashbrowns for $4.95, why is one in BALTIMORE more expensive?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I'd recommend Papermoon, actually. Especially if you're an out-of-towner who would otherwise go somewhere not as awesome.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 6:54 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Petes Grille is a short stroll away. 31st and Greenmount. It can be kind of a sketchy neighborhood but it's a great breakfast joint. Michael Phelps eats there (or at least he used to). On Saturdays there is a great farmers market nearby. Normals books and records is nearby. Skip Paper Moon. That place peaked in the 90s.

FDW
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Petes Grille is a short stroll away. 31st and Greenmount. It can be kind of a sketchy neighborhood but it's a great breakfast joint. Michael Phelps eats there (or at least he used to). On Saturdays there is a great farmers market nearby. Normals books and records is nearby. Skip Paper Moon. That place peaked in the 90s.

FDW
Well that's good to know. We're heading down to Baltimore this weekend. Thank you. Greenmount Ave is a horrible area but for breakfast, we can deal with it. Used to walk past Greenmount en route to Memorial Stadium. I guess there's been no gentrification.
Old May 1, 2011, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

This morning we went to Miss Shirley's on Cold Spring Lane. Absolutely fantastic!!!
Old May 31, 2011, 6:10 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Analise
This morning we went to Miss Shirley's on Cold Spring Lane. Absolutely fantastic!!!
Miss Shirley's is excellent...
though not really diner food in my opinion
Fancy stuff, and can make for a pricey breakfast.

FDW
Old May 31, 2011, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Miss Shirley's is excellent...
though not really diner food in my opinion
Fancy stuff, and can make for a pricey breakfast.

FDW
There WERE no convenient diners near the Hop and from what we saw online, the menues for those considered as "diners" were expensive. If I want 2 eggs and toast, why should I pay more than $4.50 for it? Baltimore is more pricey for the basics than my local coffee shops (aka diners outside of NYC) in my neighborhood in Manhattan? That's just nuts.

What we wanted was a place for breakfast. Miss Shirley's certainly wasn't a coffee shop but it did serve breakfast and it was close to our hotel. It was outstanding. So we had brunch on Sunday and then headed back to Manhattan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.