Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reasonable restaurants near White House

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Reasonable restaurants near White House

Anyone know a couple decent reasonably priced restaurants/bars 5-10 minute walk from White House?

Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Define reasonable....what's reasonable for you might not be reasonable for me
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
duPont circle is a 15 minute walk north of the WH. There's a California Pizza Kitchen there. Plus Fuddruckers. Some some ethnic places.

Old Ebbitt Grill has a small "takeout" like place in the atrium right at 15th & Pennsylvania (?). Not sure if it's open for dinner (also not sure when you are planning on going). That might be a 1 minute walk. The takeout place is inexpensive. The restaurant itself...you can find reasonable there as well.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by normalone
Define reasonable....what's reasonable for you might not be reasonable for me
Yes, if you give a price range and food preferences, I can give you a list. This neighborhood has indian, indian vegetarian, chinese, italian, spanish, peruvian, japanese, pan-asian, burger joints, steakhouses, high-end seafood, chains. . .all within 5 - 10 mins of the White House.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Yes, if you give a price range and food preferences, I can give you a list. This neighborhood has indian, indian vegetarian, , high-end seafood, chains. . .all within 5 - 10 mins of the White House.
Right, thanks -- how about chinese, italian, spanish, peruvian, japanese, pan-asian, burger joints, steakhouses in the $25 range
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bitburgr
duPont circle is a 15 minute walk north of the WH. There's a California Pizza Kitchen there. Plus Fuddruckers. Some some ethnic places.

Old Ebbitt Grill has a small "takeout" like place in the atrium right at 15th & Pennsylvania (?). Not sure if it's open for dinner (also not sure when you are planning on going). That might be a 1 minute walk. The takeout place is inexpensive. The restaurant itself...you can find reasonable there as well.
Great and thanks
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:05 am

Chinese – Sichuan Pavilion 1814 K Street NW is OK.

Italian – Luigis 1132 19th St. NW is an old, red-checked tablecloth style Italian restaurant – it isn’t going to win any awards, but it is going to do the old southern Italian dishes well.

Peruvian – El Chalan 1924 I St. NW – the lomo saltado and aji de gallina are both good.

Japanese – Wasabi – 907 19th St. NW – Kaiten sushi in a modern environment. Not really the best sushi but clearly within your price range. Has evening special prices and carryout.

Japanese - Kaz Sushi Bistro 1915 I St. NW – much better quality food than Wasabi but could stretch your wallet a little bit if you aren’t careful.

Pan-Asian - Café Asia 1720 I St NW – Can be noisy later in the evening. Haven’t eaten there in a while.

Burger Joints – The Exchange – 1719 G St NW – probably the closest restaurant to the White House – gets lots of locals from surrounding office buildings (incl White House) in the summer because of their large outdoor sidewalk seating area. – Greek owners, also has some Greek food on the menu.

Steak - Smith and Wollensky, 1112 19th St NW – This is about the best you will get anywhere near your price range, but I am sure it will go over. There are a number of high-end steakhouses in the area but you will be paying at least double and probably triple your price range for those.

Spanish – Taberna del Alabardero – 1776 I St NW Definitely out of your price range, but one of the best restaurants in the area. This isn’t a tapas joint, it’s a quite elegant Spanish restaurant.

I also second the idea of Old Ebbitt Grill as mentioned above.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Chinese – Sichuan Pavilion 1814 K Street NW is OK.

Italian – Luigis 1132 19th St. NW is an old, red-checked tablecloth style Italian restaurant – it isn’t going to win any awards, but it is going to do the old southern Italian dishes well.

Peruvian – El Chalan 1924 I St. NW – the lomo saltado and aji de gallina are both good.

Japanese – Wasabi – 907 19th St. NW – Kaiten sushi in a modern environment. Not really the best sushi but clearly within your price range. Has evening special prices and carryout.

Japanese - Kaz Sushi Bistro 1915 I St. NW – much better quality food than Wasabi but could stretch your wallet a little bit if you aren’t careful.

Pan-Asian - Café Asia 1720 I St NW – Can be noisy later in the evening. Haven’t eaten there in a while.

Burger Joints – The Exchange – 1719 G St NW – probably the closest restaurant to the White House – gets lots of locals from surrounding office buildings (incl White House) in the summer because of their large outdoor sidewalk seating area. – Greek owners, also has some Greek food on the menu.

Steak - Smith and Wollensky, 1112 19th St NW – This is about the best you will get anywhere near your price range, but I am sure it will go over. There are a number of high-end steakhouses in the area but you will be paying at least double and probably triple your price range for those.

Spanish – Taberna del Alabardero – 1776 I St NW Definitely out of your price range, but one of the best restaurants in the area. This isn’t a tapas joint, it’s a quite elegant Spanish restaurant.

I also second the idea of Old Ebbitt Grill as mentioned above.

Thanks, appreciate your help!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by tdowl5757
Anyone know a couple decent reasonably priced restaurants/bars 5-10 minute walk from White House?

Thanks!
Of course you could always try to talk yourself into a White House social event and partake from the free buffet!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by bitburgr

Unless it's changed pretty recently yes the atrium part of Old Ebbitt is open for dinner too, though if you're solo or a couple the main restaurant/bar area is a little more scenic, atrium ambiance is more like a mall food court, though nice if you need a long table for a big group.

Old Ebbitt's is really just the best call for an out of towner -- has the unique combination of being a landmark type tourist destination that's actually what it's made out to be, which is an authentic old school DC power lunch establishment *and* a well above adequate source of quality crabcakes. World class by world standards, quite good by (very high) local standards. Not to mention it's literally across the street from the White House, or side of Treasury to be exact. If you have a $10 bill handy it's hiding just behind the border, right side, on the back image.

And it's not cheap but they don't gouge you either, it's "reasonable" in that sense. I'm sure you can google and see an actual menu.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales
Unless it's changed pretty recently yes the atrium part of Old Ebbitt is open for dinner too, though if you're solo or a couple the main restaurant/bar area is a little more scenic, atrium ambiance is more like a mall food court, though nice if you need a long table for a big group.

Old Ebbitt's is really just the best call for an out of towner -- has the unique combination of being a landmark type tourist destination that's actually what it's made out to be, which is an authentic old school DC power lunch establishment *and* a well above adequate source of quality crabcakes. World class by world standards, quite good by (very high) local standards. Not to mention it's literally across the street from the White House, or side of Treasury to be exact. If you have a $10 bill handy it's hiding just behind the border, right side, on the back image.

And it's not cheap but they don't gouge you either, it's "reasonable" in that sense. I'm sure you can google and see an actual menu.
Yes, Ebbitt's looks fine, just can't afford to drink & dine @ The Willard every night for a week on our perdeim
Old Mar 5, 2010, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by tdowl5757
Yes, Ebbitt's looks fine, just can't afford to drink & dine @ The Willard every night for a week on our perdeim
It seemed from your request (which you have now confirmed) that you were in the area for an extended time and not just looking for a single choice which is why I gave you several, although I focused on the area just to the west of the White House and you are on the east side.

My wife likes Chef Geoff's at 1301 Pennsylvania, Ristorante Tosca at 1112 F St gets good reviews, and the Occidental (right around the corner from the Willard exit on Pennsylvania Ave) is good, but might be too pricey. I don't know this side of the White House like the western side.

Given the location, I think the Chinatown area 7th and H NW (which despite the name no longer has very many Chinese restaurants) would be better for you than Dupont Circle, if you are interested in going further afield. It still does have a few Chinese restaurants, but also a plethora of higher end chain restaurants such as Legal Seafoods.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 5:17 pm

I haven't been to Taberna in about a year, but the last time I was there, they were doing tapas between 3 and 7pm, and quite reasonably priced, at that (2-3 dishes per person to share plus a few pitchers of sangria worked out to about $10-15 each). For dinner it is, indeed, a very nice, upscale Spanish joint... well worth trying for dinner (completely different menu than the tapas) if you can afford to spend about $50 on a meal.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 5:24 pm

Programs: United 1K (3MM) and RCC, elite levels for most hotel and car programs
Near the White House

I second Chef Geoffs on 13th Street -- good happy hour on Monday with 1/2 price wine bottles, and two nearby Bobby Van's locations are pretty good, too. Capital City Brewing Co. on H Street is 5 blocks away and fun.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:28 am

Ah, an assortment? In that case I'll add one that's a little further afield. But only a little. The Brickskeller, just off Dupont Circle. A bit of a walk from the Willard but a nice route through the heart of downtown if you do it. Or a very short cab/subway ride.

Google it, I won't do it justice here, but suffice it to say they have the largest selection of beers of any establishment in the world. Or they used to at least. Staggering amounts. I'm no longer a regular but back not *too* long ago it also had the distinction of being very reasonably priced for those beers. And the food is underrated. Total greasy pub/diner type food, bacon cheeseburgers, etc, but most excellent given that caveat. And just a great place to hang out, catch up with friends, or a friend. Gets crowded at super peak times but it's big so you're usually OK pretty much whenever.

Definitely *not* fine dining, it's a great beer bar with brick walls and a cave like basement. But one of my favorite places anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.