Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Cancun trip on Friday: Will my Garmin GPS Work in Cancun?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Does a US based Garmin GPS work in the Cancun area?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:42 am

Can't say, but can comment that we never felt the need to use any GPS driving around the Yucatan, even on our first trip. (non-Spanish speaker)
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dohc97
Does a US based Garmin GPS work in the Cancun area?
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

A GPS will work anywhere it can acquire the requisite number of satellites.

As to whether a Garmin GPS designed for automobile navigation will work for driving in Mexico, check your model (or check it online at http://www.garmin.com/en-US/) to see if your unit has the maps for Mexico or if those are available for download.

If your unit only has USA or USA-Canada maps available, it will not be useful in Cancún.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
... If your unit only has USA or USA-Canada maps available, it will not be useful in Cancún.
Sort of semi-true. Most GPS devices can be "upgraded" by adding the necessary maps (not free, of course). GPS apps on smart phones do usually cover the entire world, though.

At any rate, as VidaNaPraia suggested, a GPS is certainly not needed in the Yucatan, and it has the added disadvantage that you always have to take it off your window every time you park your car somewhere where you can't watch it.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
Sort of semi-true. Most GPS devices can be "upgraded" by adding the necessary maps (not free, of course). GPS apps on smart phones do usually cover the entire world, though.

At any rate, as VidaNaPraia suggested, a GPS is certainly not needed in the Yucatan, and it has the added disadvantage that you always have to take it off your window every time you park your car somewhere where you can't watch it.
People have different comfort levels. I've not needed GPS and have driven extensively in the Americas (as well as Europe, Asia, Africa). I'm comfortable driving primary and secondary roads throughout the Yucatán peninsula (though I'd recommend a decent map, or perhaps a state map for Quintana Roo if confining one's driving there). But the single question the OP asked was about an unspecified Garmin GPS.

Definitely one would not wish to leave valuables such as a GPS in full view; it would result in a broken window and no GPS in short order. That's about the time you'll find out most insurance in Mexico does not cover glass breakage.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:46 pm

No GPS needed

You really won't need a GPS in Yucatan (or Quintana Roo). Almost everyone in the tourist zone around Cancun speaks English (though they might want you to think they don't.)
We've been to Cancun several times and THE worst part (by far) is getting out of the airport! Just think of yourself as shark bait: Know exactly what you're looking for and the exact address; only talk to airport personnel; get your gear and GET OUT.
When you pay for stuff (especially at the gas station) make a point of telling the clerk the amount of the bills you're handing them (as in $... out of 500 pesos.)
Don't speed. And don't drive drunk. The cops are not there to be friendly.
Make sure you go to the Mayan ruins (Tulum is just for tourists). Muyil is only a few extra miles down the road and almost undiscovered. Coba is a good choice if you want/need more services.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:30 am

The gasoline station is a "whole nother thing". I've been frequenting Mexican fuel stations for many decades, and though some are pristine abd efficient, some others are proficient at fleecing the traveler.

Attendants get tipped at the encounter of the transaction. Five pesos is OK for someone who has been polite and dine his job - not quite a quarter dollar - ten is generous.

Always note how full your tank is and then note if the pump has been zeroed. Specify how much fuel you want as well as the kind if it's a multiple fuel pump - "lleno" (yeh-no)!is full, otherwise specify how many "litros" you want - then be sure that's what you get.

If they offer to check your oil, be there so they don't short dip the dipstick and show you that you apparently need a can of oil when you don't. It's not very likely, but make sure they don't pull a cable so you now "need maintenance". If you do need oil be sure they bring an unopened can and open it in front of you.

Be aware of how much money you're giving the attendant and say it ("quinientos pesos" - 500 MXP for example) and count your change.

Have someone watch the car to make sure nothing is pilfered.

Avoid the kids who might offer to "wash" your windshield with a can of water and newspaper - they probably don't work there, they may have silty water and reused paper, leaving your windshield scratched. Give them a couple of pesos (peso is about 18 to the dollar) and tell them "no, gracias". This gives them what they want and is useful for the occasional budding thug who might surreptitiously key or scratch your car if you're surly with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.