FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   Puerto Vallarta & PVR Airport Taxi, Limo, Shuttle, Transfer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/1763363-puerto-vallarta-pvr-airport-taxi-limo-shuttle-transfer.html)

warreng24 Feb 4, 2016 11:51 am

Puerto Vallarta & PVR Airport Taxi, Limo, Shuttle, Transfer

Can someone please recommend an airport transfer company that they've previously used in PVR?

My parents are traveling to PVR for a wedding. They are older and would prefer not to have the hassle of dealing with the Timeshare "shark tank" and the hassle of dealing with a Taxi.

Is there an airport transfer service that is recommended? I've found several on the internet, but I'm wondering if they're legit or not.

Thanks in advance

MTC Feb 4, 2016 6:42 pm

Upon arrival at PVR, after leaving customs, go straight to the exit ignoring the time share sharks. Don't stop. They did not bother us as we simply looked right through them. (We were there 2 weeks ago.)

As you go towards the exit, you will see several taxi booths where you can buy a ticket for your taxi ride to the hotel. You have to tell them which hotel you are going to. Fares are based on a zone system. For example, the Westin is "just around the corner" and we were charged 210 pesos from the airport. The return journey from the Westin to the airport was only 65 pesos. Reason being the airport is a federal property and taxis are taxed heavily for operating from the the airport.

Enjoy your stay at PVR. Fantastic destination.

MTC Feb 5, 2016 8:59 am

Forgot to mention that I had phoned the hotel to enquire whether they have a shuttle service. I was told they could arrange for pick-up. The cost was the same (210 pesos) but we opted for a taxi.

meraki Mar 4, 2016 10:13 am

As a gift, a family member is letting me stay at their empty condo in PVR in Lower Concha Chinas. It'll be our first time in PVR/Mex so won't have any pesos (and I don't think the exchange rate at the airport is ever a good deal) so I wanted to see if the taxis accept credit cards or knew of any transfer services that I can pre-book or if Uber operates in PVR.

chuckkD Mar 7, 2016 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by meraki (Post 26283901)
As a gift, a family member is letting me stay at their empty condo in PVR in Lower Concha Chinas. It'll be our first time in PVR/Mex so won't have any pesos (and I don't think the exchange rate at the airport is ever a good deal) so I wanted to see if the taxis accept credit cards or knew of any transfer services that I can pre-book or if Uber operates in PVR.

For me, it makes more sense to get my peso's before I even get to Mexico. I bank at WellsFargo and they have several local branches with foreign currency. Gave me the best rate possible each of the times I have vacationed in Mx. Just a thought. I recently went when the peso was over 19 per dollar in the market and WF exchanged at 18.675.

I personally would never use a credit card in a taxi. In fact I usually avoid CC use altogether in Mx. No Uber in PV that I am aware of, sorry.

meraki Mar 11, 2016 9:49 am

Do you not use your credit card in Mexico for a specific reason or you just don't like to?

I'll have to ask if my bank offers currency exchange. Thanks for the suggestion

clintonuws Apr 21, 2016 1:51 pm

To avoid the taxi's that sometimes aren't the nicest... I have booked through puertovallartatours.net in the past. It may be a few dollars more but I've found the cars incredibly clean and the drivers super nice and friendly (probably as it correlates to a slightly higher tip). I pay $26 for 2 people to the Zona Romantica. With tip, it will be $30.

Ty Vil Apr 28, 2016 7:28 pm

I book with http://www.dianastours.com/airport_t...o_vallarta.php

I've used them several times.

meraki Apr 29, 2016 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Ty Vil (Post 26550483)
I book with http://www.dianastours.com/airport_t...o_vallarta.php

I've used them several times.

I don't see rates on their site, how much did you pay for the transfer?

Need May 23, 2016 12:41 pm

Any one knows if the ATMs at PVR are located before or after the TimeShare area? I am going next week and probably will need to get some peso to pay for the Taxi ride to the hotel. Thanks!

ghuffaker May 31, 2016 4:30 pm

The ATM's at PVR are located in a a group together outside the shark tank. Take a hard right and head through the terminal about 150 feet, on your right.

Need Jun 3, 2016 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by ghuffaker (Post 26708068)
The ATM's at PVR are located in a a group together outside the shark tank. Take a hard right and head through the terminal about 150 feet, on your right.

Ah too late but thanks.. already back! I didn't see any ATM in the baggage area so decided to just use the money exchange booth while waiting in line to exit. It was like 15 peso per $! :(

safra1 Aug 31, 2016 3:03 pm

Taxi at PVR / Puerto Vallarta

Hi - looking to get from PVR to Costa Sur (slightly south of Zona Romantica). Do taxis accept US dollars? Any idea of the price? Also, how easy in general is it to hail a cab? Thanks.

tatterdema Sep 1, 2016 12:56 am

I think that is Zone 2, about $300 Pesos. You buy a ticket at the ticket booth in the airport, and they do take usd's. Some places listing it as Zone 3 though, for that add $60 pesos.

Need Sep 8, 2016 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by tatterdema (Post 27149517)
I think that is Zone 2, about $300 Pesos. You buy a ticket at the ticket booth in the airport, and they do take usd's. Some places listing it as Zone 3 though, for that add $60 pesos.

I think they expect (want) you to pay in US $. After exiting, there are a few TAXI booths all calling you over. They immediately asked you for the hotel and tell you an amount. I thought it was rather cheap and started counting out my Pesos and then she said oh you are paying in Pesos, it would be (new amount). But I remember the US $ amount was quite a bit higher than the exchange rate for the Pesos amount.

DeweyCheathem Jan 9, 2017 1:20 pm

The airport taxi mafia at PVR is particularly bad. A couple of years ago, they were charging $10 to go to hotels in the Marina, which is essentially walking distance (maybe 1 KM tops) if you don't have luggage to carry. Now that gas prices are rising by the removal of govt. price controls, who knows how bad that gouge is.

TominLazybrook Jan 12, 2017 7:31 pm

This is pretty close to what you will pay. http://visit-vallarta.com/essentials...rt-taxi-rates/ The Peso is falling, and Mexico just raised gas prices, so I'd expect up to pay 20 percent more than this.

Here are the steps I'd do

1) DO NOT CHANGE MONEY at the booth in the baggage claim. The rate is laughably bad.

2) Once outside customs, walk past all the touts and booths...and go to the ATM's (to get to them, simply walk straight out of customs and then turn right before you get to the front door (stay inside the building), then walk about 50 feet and they will be on your right. The BBVA Machine takes US cards. When entering an amount, Do an odd number, such as 2900 Pesos or 3900 Pesos, so that you will get smaller bills.

3) Armed with your Pesos, return to the door you left when you exited customs. Go to a Transport Taxi booth. Ask them the rate in PESOS. Tell them where you're going and ask the rate. If you think you're being overchaged, politely ask "what zone is this for" and the zone map. You probably won't have to. Pay the nice lady and collect your voucher. Walk outside the terminal and there will be an attendant who will get you in your cab. Its a bit chaotic, but then again, it is Mexico.

----

A word of warning though. While getting a cab at PVR can be a bit disorientating for someone not familiar with the airport...getting a cab from the airport is NOT your biggest concern.....Getting a cab TO the airport can be a problem, especially at 11am, when everyone all at once decides to return to the airport. This might only be an issue with high season. Give yourself a little more time to get a cab on the way back. Sometimes its not a problem and you get there early.

Also, remember that you WILL end up paying over the odds at some point for something. It sucks but don't get wrapped up in it. Remember, fighting over 20 pesos (less than a dollar) really isnt worth the aggavation.

There is currently construction in the arrivals area of PVR airport, so the locations might change, but I was there 10 days ago...

Buen viaje.

Stgermainparis Mar 3, 2017 9:47 pm

Can anyone provide an update about PVR, which I've read is under renovation? Will be our first trip there next week and I am mildly worried the chaos will be difficult (traveling with the kids). I'd planned to take a taxi and am a confident traveler, but if it's really crowded and difficult then I'd consider a prearranged airport transfer. But then again I'd like to keep costs down so as to have more money for activities.

How bad is the airport right now? And any advice on transfer or taxi? Will have 5 pax.

Doc Savage Mar 3, 2017 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis (Post 27988437)
Can anyone provide an update about PVR, which I've read is under renovation? Will be our first trip there next week and I am mildly worried the chaos will be difficult (traveling with the kids). I'd planned to take a taxi and am a confident traveler, but if it's really crowded and difficult then I'd consider a prearranged airport transfer. But then again I'd like to keep costs down so as to have more money for activities.

How bad is the airport right now? And any advice on transfer or taxi? Will have 5 pax.

I was there about a month ago, and really didn't notice anything different from usual. See the above advice about taxis. Ignore the people lined up as you exit into the main lobby and go to the taxi booth. You can book either private cabs or shared vans. They'll likely happily take dollars, but you'll get a bad exchange rate. No biggy for just one cab ride. Take some $1s, $5s, $10s with you.

If you hail a cab, set a price with the driver before you get in. They're all fine.

Have a great trip! PVR is one of my favorite places, so let me know if you have any other questions.

Doc

ETA: here's a TripAdvisor article that explains things in a little more detail. The taxi booths will give you a reasonable rate.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...And.Fares.html

When you head back to the airport, have your hotel hail a cab and ask the hotel what the going rate is. Agree upon a price with the driver before getting in.

jdrtravel Mar 4, 2017 6:47 pm

I know that Uber is not an option in PV. We are going back for a second time, and one thing that I remember is that the taxis for getting around town were just not very nice, and sometimes really not nice.

Does anyone know of any other type of on demand transportation options that are a step up from the regular taxis? Something along the lines of Uber black car that is app based?

delta9 Mar 5, 2017 9:30 am

As you exit the "Shark Tank" into the arrivals terminal you will see a taxi booth - The prices are straightforward as all the rates are posted in both pesos and dollars. The federal taxis are the only ones allowed to pick up passengers at the airport

If you want to save a few pesos, go outside and walk across the pedestrian bridge and catch one of the yellow cabs, prices are generally 1/3 less than those of the fereral taxix at the airport

https://s29.postimg.cc/vt1mfsocn/16...32156348_n.jpgimage sharing sites

JDiver Mar 5, 2017 9:46 am

Originally Posted by delta9 (Post 27993800)
As you exit the "Shark Tank" into the arrivals terminal you will see a taxi booth - The prices are straightforward as all the rates are posted in both pesos and dollars. The federal taxis are the only ones allowed to pick up passengers at the airport

If you want to save a few pesos, go outside and walk across the pedestrian bridge and catch one of the yellow cabs, prices are generally 1/3 less than those of the fereral taxix at the airport

Gracias for posting that!

muji Mar 27, 2017 7:22 pm

taxi fares, airport to Zone 1

Not sure which source is the most current, but the taxi fare from the airport to the Hotel Zone (Zone 1)
would be either 195 pesos ($10.34 USD), 215 pesos ($11.40 USD), or 257 pesos ($13.63 USD).

http://www.puertovallarta.net/fast_f...taxi_rates.php

http://visit-vallarta.com/essentials...rt-taxi-rates/

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27993800-post21.html

JDiver Mar 27, 2017 9:02 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by muji (Post 28095030)
Not sure which source is the most current, but the taxi fare from the airport to the Hotel Zone (Zone 1)
would be either 195 pesos ($10.34 USD), 215 pesos ($11.40 USD), or 257 pesos ($13.63 USD).

http://www.puertovallarta.net/fast_f...taxi_rates.php

http://visit-vallarta.com/essentials...rt-taxi-rates/

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27993800-post21.html

And a tip of the sombrero to you, as well.

muji Mar 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 28095304)
And a tip of the sombrero to you, as well.

Wow ! I feel like doing a Mexican hat dance now.:-:

By the way, just now I got a reply from my Zone 1 hotel. In addition to prices they quote for their staff picking me up ($40 each way airport to hotel; not interested in that) they claim that the regular taxi from the airport would be $38USD (they gave a USD price for some reason - and it's about three times what I think it should be) and the return to the airport 100 pesos (which sounds about right).

muji Apr 13, 2017 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by muji (Post 28095030)
Not sure which source is the most current, but the taxi fare from the airport to the Hotel Zone (Zone 1) would be either 195 pesos ($10.34 USD), 215 pesos ($11.40 USD), or 257 pesos ($13.63 USD).

Just got back from P. Vallarta.

Airport to Hotel Zone 1 was 260 pesos. The return was 160 pesos.
I discovered that there are 3 authorized taxi companies.
They share a counter at the far, left end of the airport lobby as you come out of immigration/customs.

The ladies working the counter compete for customers by waving and calling out to you. You simply choose the one you like best, and buy your ticket (which you will hand to the taxi attendant out at the curb) from her.

safra1 Apr 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Is it possible to walk between arrivals at Hall A and Hall B? I am arriving on a domestic flight and meeting other flyers arriving on an international flight at the same time and clearing customs/immigration.

Doc Savage May 6, 2017 12:18 pm

There is a new arrival hall which came into use after February 2017 and before my last arrival on May 1. Nicer with easier to find restrooms after those long flights. ;) Almost all the advice above still holds. The taxi counter is easier to see, just outside the shark tank. You exit the airport twelfth a bit further away from the road and the bus stop.

safari ari Jul 18, 2017 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by delta9 (Post 27993800)

This right here, when you go through the mob go across the highway via the pedestrian walkway to the other side, and there will be a line of yellow taxis waiting, there is a guy with a clipboard, who will ask where you are going and direct you to taxi. The cost to go from the airport to old city (Zona Romantica) should be no more than 200 pesos, or about 10$ depending on the exchange rate.

Edgerfly Jul 19, 2017 12:32 am

Originally Posted by safari ari (Post 28577048)
This right here, when you go through the mob go across the highway via the pedestrian walkway to the other side, and there will be a line of yellow taxis waiting, there is a guy with a clipboard, who will ask where you are going and direct you to taxi. The cost to go from the airport to old city (Zona Romantica) should be no more than 200 pesos, or about 10$ depending on the exchange rate.

Oh yeah this stuff ah right here.

rustykettel Apr 26, 2018 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 28276744)
There is a new arrival hall which came into use after February 2017 and before my last arrival on May 1. Nicer with easier to find restrooms after those long flights. ;) Almost all the advice above still holds. The taxi counter is easier to see, just outside the shark tank. You exit the airport twelfth a bit further away from the road and the bus stop.

Not sure if this is the location Doc Savage is talking about above or another move, but the taxi counter has changed since we were last here at the very end of April 2017. Previously it was to the left of the doors when exiting the shark tank but is now more of to the right, between the exterior doors and facing the ATM bank.

Counter girl quoted price in USD first, then something in the $350+ peso range for the Marriott Casa Magna. 'Uh, Marriott Casa Magna in Zone 1A?' 'Oh, sorry. My mistake. $240.' :rolleyes:

tmiw Apr 27, 2018 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by meraki (Post 26318388)
Do you not use your credit card in Mexico for a specific reason or you just don't like to?

Not OP but when I went a few years ago I got the feeling that cards generally weren't used all that much (even by tourists at tourist establishments) and didn't really want to stand out. It looked like maybe ~50% of places accepted them, however, and it's very possible things are different in 2018.

Originally Posted by meraki (Post 26283901)

IIRC taxis are cash only (or were last time I went, anyway).

nk15 Jan 7, 2019 4:27 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 29687838)

Not sure if this is the location Doc Savage is talking about above or another move, but the taxi counter has changed since we were last here at the very end of April 2017. Previously it was to the left of the doors when exiting the shark tank but is now more of to the right, between the exterior doors and facing the ATM bank.

Counter girl quoted price in USD first, then something in the $350+ peso range for the Marriott Casa Magna. 'Uh, Marriott Casa Magna in Zone 1A?' 'Oh, sorry. My mistake. $240.' :rolleyes:

I assume the taxi booth at PVR takes credit cards, right?