Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Verbier, Switzerland [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Please check with property.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:46 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC

I remember a new W hotel being announced in Verbier Switzerland, but I can't find anything about it any more, it was planned to be ready at the end of 2009. Is this property still being planned and if so when will it be ready?

I was just looking for hotels in the Alps for our Christmas holiday and thought of it.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:51 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by thomas199023
I remember a new W hotel being announced in Verbier Switzerland, but I can't find anything about it any more, it was planned to be ready at the end of 2009. Is this property still being planned and if so when will it be ready?

I was just looking for hotels in the Alps for our Christmas holiday and thought of it.
This site: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/corpor...brandCode=CORP

Says it won't open until January 2012.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:55 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Oh yeah now I see. To bad was really hoping it would open in 09 but well. Probably just to eager to stay there. I wonder where that magazine has gotten it's info on it opening in 2009.

Well then there's a good reason for me to do a city trip to Barcelona soon, when the W will open there in October

Thanks for the quick answer William!

Last edited by thomas199023; Jul 22, 2009 at 3:02 pm
Old May 6, 2010, 2:43 am

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Exclamation opening takes another year

Now: + one year...

Opening: January 2013
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Sad this is so delayed. 2013 is so far!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Sad this is so delayed. 2013 is so far!

And another year...

W Verbier - Opening December 1, 2013
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
And now they have it as SPG award category 7 property.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:33 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by holtju2
And now they have it as SPG award category 7 property.
Another cat 7 property!

Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Another cat 7 property!

And yet many people think that HH is alone in rendering redemptions at upscale properties uneconomic following recent changes.

A room night at a top category Hilton property at the most expensive time of the year runs to 95k HH points per night. A Hilton Diamond would need to spend a minimum of $4750 to earn a 1 night stay at the highest category property. All these properties also have "standard rooms".

In contrast to redeem at the highest category Starwood with standard rooms at the most expensive time of the year you would need 35k SPG points which would mean that a <75 night SPG Plat would need to spend more than $11600 for the free night. This ratio spirals higher for the properties without standard rooms.

Whilst Hiltons recent changes were a big shift from the relatively generous earn/burn rates of the past, they still look extremely generous in comparison to SPG.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another cat 7 property!

Given the location it is hardly a surprise although I do agree with the .

Personally I much prefer skiing in the Dolomites to Verbier anyway- and it is a fraction of the cost.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:11 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Another cat 7 property!

Have you ever been to Verbier ? It is not surprising that it is a category 7, in fact anything other than Cat 7 would have highly surprised me as the whole town is extremely expensive.

I do question what type of prices this place will command during the off season (May to November). I think that is the biggest challenge the place will have.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GVA
Have you ever been to Verbier ? It is not surprising that it is a category 7, in fact anything other than Cat 7 would have highly surprised me as the whole town is extremely expensive.

I do question what type of prices this place will command during the off season (May to November). I think that is the biggest challenge the place will have.
In a town where a chalet is currently for sale for 66 million CHF I think they will be fine even in the off season. I don't recall the price of the flats for sale in the residence part of the W Verbier but I do recall it was very expensive (7 million and up IIRC?).
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:08 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
In a town where a chalet is currently for sale for 66 million CHF I think they will be fine even in the off season. I don't recall the price of the flats for sale in the residence part of the W Verbier but I do recall it was very expensive (7 million and up IIRC?).
They loaded flexible prices at 600-650 CHF during high season for the most basic room. This falls to 250 CHF during the summer.

They will find people for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the hotel sell rooms during the summer around 150-200 CHF and 600-800 CHF during the winter.

That will be the challenge for this property as maintaining a category 7 won't be easy due to the seasonal factor.

The second challenge will be turning the hotel into a destination in itself rather than just a hotel amongst others in Verbier. Will it manage to ? Time will tell.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GVA
They loaded flexible prices at 600-650 CHF during high season for the most basic room. This falls to 250 CHF during the summer.

They will find people for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the hotel sell rooms during the summer around 150-200 CHF and 600-800 CHF during the winter.

That will be the challenge for this property as maintaining a category 7 won't be easy due to the seasonal factor.

The second challenge will be turning the hotel into a destination in itself rather than just a hotel amongst others in Verbier. Will it manage to ? Time will tell.
I think this article from the Guardian pretty much sums up Verbier:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/200...ng.switzerland
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by GVA
I don't think that SPG award categories are tied to the actual or real ADR's as jpdx's post on that other thread demonstrates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.