Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Angkor, Cambodia [Closed for Renovations]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Angkor, Cambodia [Closed for Renovations]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by karenkay
...they do get a lot of chinese tour groups--as does everywhere in siem reap, to be fair...
I have not posted this before and do not intend to malign anyone, but when I checked in someone who worked for the hotel, and not the person who checked me in, apologized to me because a Chinese tour group would be checking into the hotel the next day. I asked why that mattered and got an earful about noise and bad behavior. The casualness and assumption that everyone would understand there was an issue really made me pause, but being a guest in a foreign country I didn't say anything. The next day at Ankor Wat I watched tour guides, including my own, turn to yell at Chinese tourists for being disrespectful. I was again surprised by the negative feelings.

Another thing about that hotel for those who have not been there. Signs around the elevators and steps warn that durians are not allowed in the rooms. Just in case your vacation plans include having a durian in the room you now know to stay elsewhere.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I have not posted this before and do not intend to malign anyone, but when I checked in someone who worked for the hotel, and not the person who checked me in, apologized to me because a Chinese tour group would be checking into the hotel the next day. I asked why that mattered and got an earful about noise and bad behavior. The casualness and assumption that everyone would understand there was an issue really made me pause, but being a guest in a foreign country I didn't say anything. The next day at Ankor Wat I watched tour guides, including my own, turn to yell at Chinese tourists for being disrespectful. I was again surprised by the negative feelings.
You clearly haven't spent much time in SE Asia. There is a big difference between Chinese nationals traveling as individuals and those in tour groups. Suffice to say, the latter stay very far away from.

Another thing about that hotel for those who have not been there. Signs around the elevators and steps warn that durians are not allowed in the rooms. Just in case your vacation plans include having a durian in the room you now know to stay elsewhere.
This is common everywhere in Asia where durian is present.
drron, karenkay and remymartin like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I'm not sure what being impressed by the temples (and Angkor Thom is a city BTW) has to do with being impressed by a hotel, but LM REP is serviceable as a baseline.

I'm lucky in that my location has allowed many trips to the area but IMO breakfast was the weak point in myriad stays; I've found the quality poor, the service poor and the fruit, especially, lacking. With grab's universal presence I'll potentially try the REP CY which in the past would have been far from a thought due to it's location but the Cat 1 positioning could draw me in.
On my last day there I toured several Wats south of the city, a half hour or so. My guide was a local man arranged by a friend's friend. We visited places where there were not often foreigners. One Wat in particular had an orphanage attached where I met two young brothers who spoke no English but through my friends asked so many questions about America. At the end of the day, at the last Wat, as we were leaving a kid came up to me and yelled, "Mister, mister..." I was tired and cranky and barked out, "But you're not poor. That bike costs hundreds and your haircut is also expensive." My guide laughed and the kid fessed up that he came from a prominent family, which the guide confirmed. He and I are still FB friends. He swears he is coming to the US one day.
unclepants likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:24 am

You clearly haven't spent much time in SE Asia. There is a big difference between Chinese nationals traveling as individuals and those in tour groups. Suffice to say, the latter stay very far away from.
Only three or four dozen trips. What I saw in Anchor Wat was at a different level than anything I had seen elsewhere.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
sounds like you're omitting the triple-multiplier. 3-4000 SPG = 9-12k Marriott. It's going up to 17.5k Marriott, which is equivalent to 5833 SPG per night. Yes, an increase, but not astronomical. <snip>
funny, some part of my brain wondered if the 17.5 number was post merger, but i was too exhausted to look into it. you're correct, that's a modest increase, not astronomical. still a reasonable deal, chinese tourists notwithstanding.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only three or four dozen trips. What I saw in Anchor Wat was at a different level than anything I had seen elsewhere.
"Three or four dozen" trips and you've never encountered a loud, annoying, pushy and irksome Chinese tour group? You lead a charmed life.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:06 pm

"Three or four dozen" trips and you've never encountered a loud, annoying, pushy and irksome Chinese tour group? You lead a charmed life.
No. As has been posted twice already in plain, simple English I have not encountered the open, shameless hostility that workers in Cambodia did not seem the least hesitant to openly express. How is that so confusing?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
No. As has been posted twice already in plain, simple English I have not encountered the open, shameless hostility that workers in Cambodia did not seem the least hesitant to openly express. How is that so confusing?
welcome to Asia. Where the mainland tour groups are shunned/avoided/disdained as a group can (and most likely will) ruin your tranquil vacation.
Wait till you get entangled in one, and you will realize why. It is not about bias, but about the open lack of decency and manners that the guests in these groups have (being that for most, it is the very first, or one of the few times they actually leave their home towns).
It is not just Cambodia, but even "resorts" such as the Maldives, Europe in the Swiss alps (the locals want to have segregated carriages for mainland tourists) and even Hokkaido Japan (enjoying nature versus enjoying a noisy Chinese market atmosphere), pretty much everywhere else.
You only have to experience it once to realize what the problem is. Nobody wants to spend their cash to go on vacay only to encounter the nastiness of the tour groups.
The hotel apologizes in advance because, well, If you didn't expect it, you would be shocked. (enjoying a quiet breakfast versus enjoying a noisy Chinese melee with food literally grabbed and spilled all over, loudspeaker voices, and zero regard for your personal space at your breakfast table - if you get one).

I am of African descent, and many mainlanders either wanted to touch my hair or take a photo.
Do they ask? No. Do they stop if i request it? No. Only after an angry refusal, will their tour conductor beg them to refrain. At breakfast, at my table, while I am eating, with my family. true story. (although this was at Sheraton in Hanoi, not Siem Reap)
3rdworldresident likes this.

Last edited by Tokyoite; Aug 17, 2018 at 7:26 pm
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not confusing, rather I'm confounded that in "three or four dozen" trips to Asia you've yet to encounter the Chinese Tour Group. You do indeed lead a charmed life.

And sorry, there is nothing shameless in what the hotel's employee did. Fact is, it's widely enough known to be true that several years ago the Chinese gov actually published, for Chinese national's consumption, what is to be expected of a traveler in a foreign country; I'm not sure it's had much success on the intended audience.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
And sorry, there is nothing shameless in what the hotel's employee did. Fact is, it's widely enough known to be true that several years ago the Chinese gov actually published, for Chinese national's consumption, what is to be expected of a traveler in a foreign country; I'm not sure it's had much success on the intended audience.
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
welcome to Asia. Where the mainland tour groups are shunned/avoided/disdained as a group can (and most likely will) ruin your tranquil vacation.
Wait till you get entangled in one, and you will realize why. It is not about bias, but about the open lack of decency and manners that the guests in these groups have (being that for most, it is the very first, or one of the few times they actually leave their home towns).
It is not just Cambodia, but even "resorts" such as the Maldives, Europe in the Swiss alps (the locals want to have segregated carriages for mainland tourists) and even Hokkaido Japan (enjoying nature versus enjoying a noisy Chinese market atmosphere), pretty much everywhere else.
You only have to experience it once to realize what the problem is. Nobody wants to spend their cash to go on vacay only to encounter the nastiness of the tour groups.
The hotel apologizes in advance because, well, If you didn't expect it, you would be shocked. (enjoying a quiet breakfast versus enjoying a noisy Chinese melee with food literally grabbed and spilled all over, loudspeaker voices, and zero regard for your personal space at your breakfast table - if you get one).

I am of African descent, and many mainlanders either wanted to touch my hair or take a photo.
Do they ask? No. Do they stop if i request it? No. Only after an angry refusal, will their tour conductor beg them to refrain. At breakfast, at my table, while I am eating, with my family. true story. (although this was at Sheraton in Hanoi, not Siem Reap)
Well put, Tokyoite. It's not about prejudice. It's just an observation. I've experienced it twice, -- once at this hotel, at breakfast. There was pushing and shoving to get at the food, no semblance of a queue, leaving me at a significant disadvantage.

The other time was at LMCM. In addition to the crowding, shoving, grabbing, access to the food by mob control rather than by queuing, etc. at the breakfast buffet (on my first trip there, I wasn't eligible for admission to the Executive/PLT Lounge), on one day I was sitting alone at breakfast at a table for two, when a couple with one child pushed another table up against mine (thus creating a table for four) and occupied the other three seats. I wasn't actually appalled so much as I found it quite odd. I consider LMCM a 4+ star hotel; and that trip was the only time I've ever experienced anything similar at that level of property. (Based on my personal experience, I consider LM Angkor Wat a 4-/3+ star hotel.)

Tokyoite, that whole touching your hair, not stopping when asked nicely, thing is appalling. As you may know, that would constitute criminal battery in the U.S.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Aug 17, 2018 at 10:54 pm
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:28 am

It's not confusing, rather I'm confounded that in "three or four dozen" trips to Asia you've yet to encounter the Chinese Tour Group. You do indeed lead a charmed life.

Again, I never said I had not encountered the tour groups. Your continued repeating that does not make your misunderstanding true or applicable. I had never encountered a hotel employee openly commenting on this. You keep focusing on the tour group where my surprise was at the hotel employee. While you may be comfortable with hotel employees branding an unseen group as a problem citing the group's nationality, it still makes me uncomfortable and I would rather not hear it. It only makes me wonder what stereotypes they say about Americans when talking to other guests. While I would not get into a disagreement with the hotel employee over this, hopefully I never get so jaded that I find this acceptable or normal even if it is another culture's norm.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, I never said I had not encountered the tour groups. Your continued repeating that does not make your misunderstanding true or applicable. I had never encountered a hotel employee openly commenting on this. You keep focusing on the tour group where my surprise was at the hotel employee. While you may be comfortable with hotel employees branding an unseen group as a problem citing the group's nationality, it still makes me uncomfortable and I would rather not hear it. It only makes me wonder what stereotypes they say about Americans when talking to other guests. While I would not get into a disagreement with the hotel employee over this, hopefully I never get so jaded that I find this acceptable or normal even if it is another culture's norm.
Who is saying these are a culture's norms other than you, fact is I previously made note these attributes are NOT seen in Chinese nationals who travel individually so drop the snowflake stance. These otherwise unwelcome attributes are however seen in groups often enough that their reputation has been planted and preceeds their arrival, your ignorance of that is what's surprising. You were told this by the hotel employee because they've undoubtedly received any number of complaints from guests but continue to receive these groups all the same because of the money they bring in.

What you are offended by is due to not understanding what goes on in Asia or how Asians react even with your "three or four dozen" trips to Asia. Makes one wonder what you observe and absorb in all these trips.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:26 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Folks,
This is a thread about the hotel. The discussion about PRC tourists and how other posters have experienced or not experienced things is not in line with the FlyerTalk rules. Let's get back to the topic of the thread.

yosithezet
Co-Moderator, MSR Forum
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:15 am

Hi, does anyone know if the hotel does its own tours to the tourist site? I'm looking for an all inclusive get off the plane, check in the hotel, see the site, back to the hotel and back to the airport next day type of thing. We can only squeeze 2 nights in as on the way to Singapore. I've looked on the website but the 'learn more' link isn't working. Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
The hotel does not. Hook up with guide at airport and you will receive exactly what you need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.