Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Dragonara, Malta [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Dragonara, Malta [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
At the end of August, we completed a two night stay here using spg points which followed a night at nearby Hilton property using Hilton points (my partner is Plat spg and Hilton Diamond). Bottom line, we both preferred the Hilton, will go into reasons below.

We used 2 suite night awards to upgrade to Junior suite, which is large room with balcony and half sized living area with another (non connected) balcony next to it.

Firstly, the room. Big fail, basically due to being unable to sleep soundly. The furnishings were nice enough, the heavenly bed was comfortable enough, but when opening the door a definite mouldy smell, which did disappear once the aircon kicked in. The aircon is triggered by motion sensor so when you leave the room it goes off, and everytime we returned we came back to the same mouldy smell. However, the real problem was the airconditioning was so loud it didn't lend itself to a good night sleep (it sounded like a car idling, perhaps even louder). Yet turning it off, the room was too hot to sleep well. Furthermore I felt the sheets weren't up to the usual Westin standard , they easily came untucked, and crept up the bed contributing to uncomfortable sleep. By contrast slept like a baby at the Hilton, temperature control was perfect.

Check-in was pretty standard, took a while but waiting we appreciated the citrus tinged ice water that is supplied in the reception area.

Grounds and facilities were reasonable, and lots of deckchairs overlooking the sea. I like swimming in the sea, and with plenty of access points I loved it, although some of the entry points may seem a bit perilous, climbing over rocks, to the less confident swimmers. My partner preferred the pools for this reason. On this basis I preferred the Westin facilities, but my partner preferred the Hilton (which had more pools to choose from but no seafront access).

Executive lounge offering for evening happy hour was reasonable, although slightly more variety at the Hilton. Staff in exec lounge was excellent. Breakfast in exec lounge was reasonable, although can't compare to Hilton, as HH Diamond gets full breakfast in hotel restaurant, whereas SPG Plat only offered lounge breakfast at the Westin Dragonara.

We weren't offered late checkout, but did call on morning of departure to see if we could request a later checkout than standard midday. They were unable to answer, but indicated they would call us back shortly, and twenty minutes later they hadn't. Instead we opted to ditch our original plans of hanging around the hotel until late afternoon and moving to a nearby cheaper hotel (as no award bookings that evening, and rooms started from 350 Euro), we made a spur of the moment to decision to spend the next night in a lovely B&B on Gozo, which was a much better option, and should have planned all along.

We didn't use the restaurant facilities at the hotel, but was close to Paceville and St Julians (and indeed it was the feast of St Julians during our stay, so wanted to spend time in St Julians taking in the celebrations), but did have a great meal at the nearby Maltese Mama.

So in summary, Hilton rooms were nicer, grounds both good at both - depending on preference for swimming in sea or pools, but the big downer for me was the fact that I had 2 poor nights sleep at the Westin due to the loud air-conditioning.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Plat Exec
I am considering booking a 5-night stay (with points) for my parents either at the Westin or Le Meridien. I think they would enjoy most the pool, the beach (but not necessary for swimming, just to relax on the sand) and walking around town. Would one of the 2 hotels offer free breakfast and/or lounge access (I'm plat). Regardless of the # of points needed, which one would you recommend?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, UA Platinum
I stayed here in February for the Malta Marathon and I gotta admit I really liked the Westin Malta. I rented a car so I appreciated the free parking that the hotel provided and it is also right next to Paceville where my friend (who is a French girl studying abroad in Malta) tells me is where the nightlife on Malta is. It was just a 5 min walk away.

The front desk staff was really nice and even though I was not an SPG elite at that point the FD personnel kindly offered me a higher floor after I asked. Being a little chilly during the period of my stay, the pool was actually largely empty most of the time, while the seafront access was actually closed off because the weather would have made it foolish to go in anyway.

At night, the room was actually pretty bad when the wind from the sea is strong. I'm assuming the glass door to the balcony is perhaps a little dated and there might be something structurally wrong with it.

Other than that, great staff, great location, very nice view of the sea. Extremely happy to have stayed there.

Here's a photo from the balcony that I took:

And here's another photo from another view:

While here's a photo of St Julians Bay which is a 10 min walk away:

Last edited by mymilesandpoints; Apr 21, 2016 at 9:16 pm Reason: Added photos
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:18 am

Yes, this hotel is much better than LeMeridien Malta but there is problem with 'conference' guests. This hotel is offen booked to company meeting and always is loud and crowded specialy on breakfest. First time at hotel I was happy that we have access to lounge and eat breakfest at lounge.

With 200eur prices I want more quiet hotel but if you find 120eur I don't care this problem at hotel.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: SPG Platinium, Hilton Gold, AA Gold
Just staying in July

Staying at the Property as a Platinium member. Good Platinium recognition. Upgraded to large sea view room. Very good service in the Westin Lounge on the 8th floor. It is an older property, but has two large swiming pools, large fitness center and five good quality restaurants. Free parking is included and easily available. A lot of families with children stay here. There is also a nice kids club. Overall a good hotel for family vacation stay. Malta is a little bit unfinised. A lof of construction and heavy traffic and please remember that driving is on the left side here.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:18 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I recently stayed here in September 2016. I had a terrific stay and the SPG Platinum treatment was excellent, as was the executive lounge.

For those that want further information, please see my trip report of the stay
Old Dec 30, 2016, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I had a stay recently too. I thought the service was excellent, especially in the Club. But the weather turned bad so having a sea view was a negative with the wind shaking the walls and the roar of the surf as a storm pounded the shores for several days non-stop.

Earlier I had been at the IC Malta which I thought was as good or better, but €50 per night cheaper.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:15 am

any recent reports?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by yerffej201
any recent reports?
Was there for a few days a couple of weeks ago. Never been before, but I doubt that much has changed.

Hotel was good, though some parts were starting to show their era : corridors were a bit 1980s brown and dimly lit with a dirty yellowing lighting.
Plat upgrade to top floor executive room
6pm late checkout granted (though it was a Sunday)
Option of taking breakfast in the restaurant instead of the lounge wasn't available (I asked) - I would have had to select breakfast as my Plat welcome amenity to get this. But as breakfast in the lounge was good, and the restaurant was busy/noisy at breakfast time, this wasn't an issue.

Room large and spacious, with a great balcony view.
Power and USB by the bed.
Bathroom a bit dated now, with a single showerhead over the bathtub. Plenty of room to remodel it to contemporary standards with a proper walk-in shower. Lighting poor : retrofitted with LEDs which aren't bright enough.
Aircon had that slightest of tinges of that mouldy smell so common in hotels in tropical places.

Lounge was excellent, has a lovely outdoor terrace. Full breakfast service with hot dishes, snacks and nibbles through the day, and a good evening spread with a full bar from 6-8pm.

Sunbathing area was great : loads of space, nice big towels, more than enough sunbeds for everyone, and some cabanas too.

Got an invitation to the GMs evening wine-tasting party, so had the chance to chat to some of the hotel execs.

Parking in the hotels underground garage was complimentary.

I'm a supporter of Make a Green Choice, but Marriott's meagre offer of just 500 MR points to decline housekeeping tells me their heart really isn't in this. The incentive isn't consummate with the cost saving, and I didn't bother. Shame.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Staying here as Plat Premier.
Wonderful lobby with Christmas time decorations.

Check in was very easy and quick (I did the mobile app check in), they pre upgraded me to a large Executive room on top floor, next to the Lounge, gave me choice of arrival gift (I chose points, lounge breakfast is enough for me), high speed wifi and welcome letter.
Room is very large and nice, terrace overlooking the sea (a lot of wind now), biggest TV I've ever seen in a hotel room, rain shower.
Executive lounge is very good (please see my report in the relevant Executive Lounges thread), with 3 services a day (breakfast, midday snacks and evening happy hour with hot dishes and full bar).
Palio's restaurant very good, with maltese and italian food and extremely kind waiters.
I tried the wellness area and it was very very cold inside, so the water in the swimming pool.
Jacuzzi is very small and unfortunately sauna and steam bath are temporarly closed.
I think Malta is fantastic and the Westin is my first option here.
I saw there are works undergoing at the ex Le Meridien hotel, they are building some other floors at the top and maybe it will be opened as a Marriott.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
GoldenItaltianBoy provided more info in the exec lounge sticky than I needed & know the information will be beneficial to others, in addition to his reporting & pics above, so am posting the information he provided here:

"St. Julian's, MALTA / Westin Dragonara Resort Malta

Lounge OPEN 7 days a week, sea view.
Breakfast everyday from 6.30 to 10.30 am, good (small) selection.
Midday snacks with soft drinks and some wine.
Evening hors d'heuvres from 6 to 8 pm, two hot dishes (spring rolls, chicken etc), vegetables, bread, cold cuts, cakes, full bar with sparkling wine and spirits.
Key accessible, update as of 3 January 2019.
Large outside terrace overlooking the sea (for summer and sunny days).
While during breakfast time it is quiet, in the evening lounge is full of people, hard to find a seat.
Service and attendants are very good and kind !"
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:59 pm

any chance of Gold Elite getting an upgrade for stay in Feb??
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by theplayer
any chance of Gold Elite getting an upgrade for stay in Feb??
You can't really make a prediction but Gold members are usually entitled to a room upgrade to enhanced rooms, excluding club floors and suites.
As a Plat Prem I got sea view Executive Room from a deluxe room booking.
Feb is low season here.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
You can't really make a prediction but Gold members are usually entitled to a room upgrade to enhanced rooms, excluding club floors and suites.
As a Plat Prem I got sea view Executive Room from a deluxe room booking.
Feb is low season here.
I was hoping for upgrade to a suite because of the low season. Doesn't a suite entitle you to breakfast and lounge area?
No free WIFI in rooms without a suite..correct?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:16 am

You are entitled to breakfast in Lounge and Executive Lounge access if you book or are upgraded to an Executive room or suite.
As a Rewards member I think you could enjoy standard wifi connection in room for free.

Last edited by GoldenItalianBoy; Jan 13, 2019 at 3:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.