Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood Vienna: which one? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Vienna: which one? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2004, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by jchand
Is the club lounge still open at the Bristol ??
I was there about 2 years ago, and at that time it had just closed. I will be there next week (Sat 05/01), and will let you know.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've stayed a few times at the Imperial and have never tried the Bristol -- primarily because the Imperial is such a great hotel I'm afraid of being disappointed!

Staying at the Imperial is truly like being in a royal palace. I've never received anything less than a museum-quality room, and that's with only mid-range status in SPG. The Imperial's location is also top-notch and the doorman has always parked my car for free (a nice perk).

I frankly haven't found another Luxury Collection hotel that's close to the equal of the Imperial. The Bristol would have to be darn nice (and maybe it is) to compete.
Old May 14, 2004, 8:01 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Question to those that have stayed at the Imperial... isnt it a little stuffy, a little too much old world style? Im a regular in VIE but always stay at the Hilton Vienna Plaza. Im now tempted because of the ongoing triple SPG points.

Comments...? Thanks.
Old May 14, 2004, 11:55 am

Programs: CO Gold Elite; UA Premier Executive; HH Gold VIP
Imperial vs Bristol

Gaucho100K,

I'm afraid only you can decide that. What's "too stuffy" for you may not be so for me. I've stayed several times at the Imperial and absolutely loved it. Then again, each time I go, I am looking specifically for an opulent, old-world feel.

On the other hand, I'm just as comfortable at the Sheraton Stamford. It all boils down to what you're expecting and what you like when you're in the moment.

There's no denying the fact that this is one of the world's great gems. But again, only you can decide what's off-putting and what's not.
Old May 14, 2004, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

As for me, the Imperial is a bit too 'old world', and is a somewhat further away from the Opera and main shopping streets. Also the U stop is right in front of the Bristol which (to me) makes it a lot more convienient. That being said, the Bristol is also a bit ornate, but not quite as much as the Imperial. I stay there (Bristol) mainly to get SPG points/stays and for getting a Platinum upgrade on a cheapo rate. But given my druthers, I'd go for a more modern W 'ish type of hotel. But as they say, 'to each his own'.
Old May 15, 2004, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld
Gaucho100K,

I'm afraid only you can decide that. What's "too stuffy" for you may not be so for me.
That's certainly true, although I've never found anything (except maybe the furnishings) to be "stuffy" at the Imperial. Even when I stay for free on an award -- and even when I once brought a baby -- the staff were warm and friendly. And there's even a cafe-like restaurant on premises that doesn't charge and arm and a leg (pretty unheard of for a luxury hotel these days).
Old May 16, 2004, 3:38 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Yes, Ive also heard good thing about this restaurant. I wonder if they will give you Starpoints if you dine there and do not stay at the hotel....?
yes.

in my opinion, it is 'one of the finest' - the finest for me (not only in Vienna, but in whole Austria) is the Steirereck (report here )
Old May 16, 2004, 5:46 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Rudi
in my opinion, it is 'one of the finest' - the finest for me (not only in Vienna, but in whole Austria) is the Steirereck (report here )
Wow... its been a long time since Ive agreed with the above poster, but I will have to on this occasion. The Steirereck is the place to dine in Vienna. Its our designated meeting place for Lunch with El Patron every time I get to Wien... ^
Old Jul 18, 2004, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Any update re: Lounge?

Food? Snacks? Perks?

Are Platinums given breakfast certs? Or is a cont breakfast included?
Will they do the right thing in the upgrade dept; or will I have to remind them in my gentle NY style?
Old Jul 20, 2004, 1:16 am

Probably you have already made the booking for August...

I have stayed at the Bristol last year for Christmas time. A had been assigned a room on the Executive Floor with view to the Opera House! It was great. Nice friendly service...realy felt like home!

I had dinner at the Korso restaurant. Great Experience. I was very lucky as it was fully bokked since months ago according to the Restaurant Manager

Very close to the shopping area.

Enjoy your stay!
Old Jul 20, 2004, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Any update re: Lounge?

Food? Snacks? Perks?

Are Platinums given breakfast certs? Or is a cont breakfast included?
Will they do the right thing in the upgrade dept; or will I have to remind them in my gentle NY style?
I was at the Bristol this past May, and there still isn't any Lounge. I was given a cert for a complimentary drink at the bar and one for contiental breakfast. While I wasn't given a choice of amenity, a nice bottle of champagne and fruit platter was delivered to my room. The first time I was there (over a year ago) I was given one of those unique TOWER suites that had a small terrace overlooking the Opera. This last time, I received a very small room with a terrace facing St Stephans and a side view of the Opera.
It is in a very good location for shopping/dining etc. and I'd still prefer it to the Imperial, if only for the location.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 9:06 pm

Bristol Corner Suite or Imperial Junior Suite?

We will be in Vienna this coming July. We intend to use SPG points for either the Bristol ro the Imperial. I have a tough time deciding which of the following options is better:

Bristol Corner Suite 20,000 SPG points
Imperial Junior Suite 14,500 SPG points

We will have 2 adults and 1 child in the room. Both adults are SPG Gold.

Help :-)
Old Jan 28, 2005, 1:23 pm

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium
The room was not what I understand under Junior Suite, pretty small. Separate bathroom and toilet, but shower had little pressure and one could hardly turn in the bathroom. Free champagne, house brand, tasted actually very good. Fruit plate, and 50% discount voucher for one drink at the bar.

Had a quick bite at the Korso restaurant, and was disappointed. Starter (house soup consisting of broth with dumplings), main course (overdone tiny portion of fillet of venison) and half bottle of cheapest house wine came to 79 Euros. Horrific value for money, even by Vienna standards.

This was my first stay as Platinum, and except for the free champagne I saw no difference to Gold.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 2:44 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Thanks for the feedback.
Originally Posted by Zorro
This was my first stay as Platinum, and except for the free champagne I saw no difference to Gold.
Was the champagne in the room as your platinum amenity?

And I am correct in assuming that was no Executive lounge for plats, and thus no free breakfast...
Old Jan 28, 2005, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Thanks for the feedback.

Was the champagne in the room as your platinum amenity?

And I am correct in assuming that was no Executive lounge for plats, and thus no free breakfast...

There is no exec lounge at the Bristol.

I am staying there Tomorrow night as Plat and will report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.