Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: HGP: Diamond, SPG:Gold, HH:Gold, AA: Plt, Copa: Plt
controller1, could you let me know how to get a referral?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by frfather
controller1, could you let me know how to get a referral?

Originally Posted by controller1
Check your PM inbox soon.

NOTE TO THOSE DESIRING AN OWNER-REFERRAL: To prevent this thread from increasing in size due to requests for referrals, please feel free to send me a PM requesting a referral. There is no need to post your request in this thread.

Thanks.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
We booked on the $798 deal (too good to pass up), and we signed up for the tour for the points since we have no shame.

I was surprised that the tour/sales pitch took 2 hours, considering we're the worst possible prospects.
  • I've been to Hawaii, on average, every 13 years
  • We showed up without swimsuits, flip flops or golf clubs (we're here mainly to sightsee, photograph and not to stew on the beach or by a pool)
  • We take a lot of vacations, but not to typical resort areas.
  • We're using the property as a bedroom, not using anything at the hotel, any activites or the fitness center

Heck, I don't even know how to swim.

They presented the mathematical rationale for a timeshare ownership. It was quite creative, but it was utter nonsense. (If someone wants a timeshare, can pay cash for it, and can afford it, bless them... but it is not about saving money).

Wasn't high pressure, but it was entertaining, I've never had one of these presentations before.

We did get upgraded to the bigger room (Island/Parking Lot view), I'm SPG Gold.

The kitchen is nice.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 3:01 pm

Controller1, could you send me an owner referral?

Thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by seekup
Controller1, could you send me an owner referral?

Thanks.
Yes, I have sent a PM to you.

And once again for those seeking referrals, please remember:

Originally Posted by controller1
. . .
NOTE TO THOSE DESIRING AN OWNER-REFERRAL: To prevent this thread from increasing in size due to requests for referrals, please feel free to send me a PM requesting a referral. There is no need to post your request in this thread.

Thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:08 pm

Hello, I am very close to booking not only my first SPG stay (on points no less) but also my first trip to Maui (well I've never been to Hawaii at all) and was wondering if anybody had any last minute tips before I do so?

This will be 4/25/15-4/30/15 at the Westin KOR Villas.

I have begun reading the thread but it's pretty long and I've got a long way to go. Plus I figure a lot of the information may be outdated.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FELLOW FT MEMBERS!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by riversidetom
Hello, I am very close to booking not only my first SPG stay (on points no less) but also my first trip to Maui (well I've never been to Hawaii at all) and was wondering if anybody had any last minute tips before I do so?

This will be 4/25/15-4/30/15 at the Westin KOR Villas.

I have begun reading the thread but it's pretty long and I've got a long way to go. Plus I figure a lot of the information may be outdated.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FELLOW FT MEMBERS!

Enjoy your trip! We will be completing our second week at WKORV during that same time period.....
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:53 am

I appreciate the well wishes!

Is there any type of requests I should ask for when I book?

I am a total rookie

also is there free shuttle to and from airport? and if not what is the best service to use?

Last edited by riversidetom; Oct 20, 2014 at 12:23 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:16 pm

I appreciate the well wishes!

Is there any type of requests I should ask for when I book?

I am a total rookie

also is there free shuttle to and from airport? and if not what is the best service to use?
You will want a rental car while on Maui. No free shuttle to/from OGG. It is about a 30-45 minute drive, depending on traffic.

There is a free shuttle, with regularly scheduled service, from the resort to/from 1) the other Starwood properties, 2) Hilo Hatties, 3) Lahaina Cannery Mall (grocery shopping at Safeway), and 4) Front Street in Lahaina.

Not sure what you are renting but there have been reports of Platinum members receiving upgrades from Studio Villas to One-Bedroom Villas but IMO those are rare due to the popularity of the resort. It would not hurt to ask for Ocean View but once again that may not be available.

Enjoy the trip!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:31 pm

Unfortunately I am just a regular Preferred Guest, not gold, nor Platinum

The only room available with Starpoints at my level is the Studio Villa from what I can see. So I guess I will ask for Ocean View since it can't hurt.

But the upgrade to One Bedroom villa seems unlikely at my level I would think.

Any tips on getting a rental car for cheap?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Any tips on getting a rental car for cheap?

Not likely in Maui IMHO. The only suggestions I would make would be book as early as possible, with a cancellable rate if possible and then check regularly. Change if you find a better deal. Some people rate Costco but when I checked for Feb 2015 I found a better rate on Priceline ( although non cancellable).

I would agree with earlier posters though that a car , while not necessarily essential, would certainly be advisable if you plan seeing anywhere other than the resort, Lahaina and the Ka'anapali Beach/ Whaler's Village area. Apart from the shuttles mentioned the resort is a little isolated. If you're happy with those options then for a short trip you could get away without a car.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
The only room available with Starpoints at my level is the Studio Villa from what I can see.
Where do you 'see' this? If it's on the SPG website, and you have more points to spend, there may be other options available, if you telephone SPG. I have no idea about this particular property, but in general, upgrades, suites, etc. can sometimes be booked with points for as little as a 1,500 point premium over the usual 'free night' rate. It doesn't hurt to call and see exactly what your options are.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by GuysInCT
Where do you 'see' this? If it's on the SPG website, and you have more points to spend, there may be other options available, if you telephone SPG. I have no idea about this particular property, but in general, upgrades, suites, etc. can sometimes be booked with points for as little as a 1,500 point premium over the usual 'free night' rate. It doesn't hurt to call and see exactly what your options are.
In the list of rooms available, only the Island view Villa is available to book with points when I booked online today

I used up 120k points for the 5 nights

I have about 13k points left now

Even though I already booked, you think I should still call?

Thanks for your advice!!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Even though I already booked, you think I should still call?
Sure, why not, you have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. Shouldn't take but a minute to find out. Come back and let us know how it worked out! And good luck!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
In the list of rooms available, only the Island view Villa is available to book with points when I booked online today

I used up 120k points for the 5 nights
The last time I checked, the IslandView studio was the listed number of points, the IslandView 1BR was double that, and the IslandView 2BR is just the two put together (ie triple the points)

There may have been options to get an OceanView for a little but more, but definitely not a larger room without using a lot more points...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.