Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How much do you challenge "no Upgrade" as Plat Prem Elite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much do you challenge "no Upgrade" as Plat Prem Elite

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Usually I did a quick check on SPG/MR/RCR apps to see what room available before check in
If higher cat rooms available and I didnt get upgraded, I might ask FDC if any upgrade available.
But wont push further even if FDC claim hotel was full.

I would however, wrote accordingly on hotel review.
No elite upgrade due to hotel being full / No upgrade even though higher cat rooms available for booking etc

On the side note, I did couple of stays at GHA Discovery hotels .... (Brands included Kempinski, Alila, Anantara and collections of smaller chain of hotels)
They always send members survey email after every stays.

Since this loyalty programs dont have any points to be collected, pretty much the main benefit is the upgrades (and late check out if available)
It seems that the participating hotel did upgrading members consistently.
And I believe the program team did pay attention if any participating hotels try to "cheat" on this
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
This data point isn't very helpful without knowing how many total stays you've had with Marriott since the merger.
I have 100% suite upgrade rate as an ambassador member after merger! .....

Total stay : 1
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
This data point isn't very helpful without knowing how many total stays you've had with Marriott since the merger.
It's pretty hard to establish any kind of data points from FT anecdotes. So much depends on the type of properties where you stay, the kinds of rooms you book, and your interactions with staff both pre-arrival and at check-in.

Personally, I try to avoid properties that are reported as not upgrading (including booking outside Marriott where there's a better option), so that's going to increase my upgrade percentage.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:35 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
In fact, it's nearly impossible to get a hotel to recognize me as X4 (Plat Premier). They all say "Thanks for being Platinum". Only two hotels since August have recognized and thanked me for being Plat Premier.
thoughts and prayers heading your way in this difficult time
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by supatight80
I can count on exacty 3 fingers how many times i have NOT been upgraded to a Suite this year since the merge. Anything less would be considered as a major, major fail. But then again, us legacy starwood folks consider an upgrade to a "club room" or "corner room" as upgrade failures.

Thanks though to AMAZING Ambassador of 5 years and counting, who always anticipates my needs without emailing her for a Real upgrade which is a suite.

In fact, today ive been upgraded to the Royal Mughal Suite at the ITC Agra. And on this trip for December, every single stay before, today, and for sure tomorrow. Thanks SPG!

The only thing I have been missing though is my complimentary bottle of wine during my stays. *Sigh...The good ol days at Starwood...

That round table looks empty. It would certainly improve the appearance of the room if there were a bottle of wine there, of course with some nice glasses and maybe even a small fruit bowl in lieu of other decorations.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
Since the merger always pre-upgraded on the app to the next-cat room, never had a suite. Only a Plat, not PP.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

We are PP, have stayed about 20-30 different properties this year. For the most part, most of my domestic stays are for work travel, so I don't care or bank on any upgrades on those Courtyards and Residence Inns where I just need a warm shower and put my head on the beds and head out for my meetings. And the more closer to city center the worse I expect my elite benefits announced, as it's understandable that their occupancy turnover is very high. As for full service properties, like the legacy Marriotts and Renaissance, I've consistently been placed at the higher floors, mostly near club lounge floors. My most memorable upgrade was probably The Autograph Cosmopolitan in Vegas, was also there for work for 3 nights, I checked in at 3pm ish, and I pressed for a higher floor, they gave me my keys and told me enjoy the amenities while I wait to be notified for my room. Text message came about 45 mins later, and I'm surprised they gave me a one br terrace suite in the newer wing. It would have been nice if the trip was for leisure and my P2 could enjoy the added space with walk-in closet.

For play, we travel to Asia alot, from our recent trip in BKK, it was always an immediate suite upgrade at check-in with priority greeting from someone in the management. So usually without much contest, we were always very satisfied with our upgrade outcome. For resort properties, we tend to see get exceptional upgrades when we specifically mention about milestone events like birthday or anniversary. Staff always go out of their way to make elites happy.

We also stayed at the W in London, was upgraded to a suite like corner room. This one might not count because we won the SPG moments package, so technically we were treated like VIP in the property with open bar, bfast and meals provided for us throughout our stay.

Bottom line is, always do your research, go to tripadvisor and punch in platinum in the review search function, those are usually very accurate. And with so many more properties to choose from now, it's always easier to steer elite to specific properties that treats them like one.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:22 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by supatight80
I can count on exacty 3 fingers how many times i have NOT been upgraded to a Suite this year since the merge. Anything less would be considered as a major, major fail. But then again, us legacy starwood folks consider an upgrade to a "club room" or "corner room" as upgrade failures.

Thanks though to AMAZING Ambassador of 5 years and counting, who always anticipates my needs without emailing her for a Real upgrade which is a suite.

In fact, today ive been upgraded to the Royal Mughal Suite at the ITC Agra. And on this trip for December, every single stay before, today, and for sure tomorrow. Thanks SPG!

The only thing I have been missing though is my complimentary bottle of wine during my stays. *Sigh...The good ol days at Starwood...
I've stayed at this property before the merger as a Platinum member and had the same upgrade. I believe this property and at least most of the MR/SPG properties in India (except the Marriott in Hyderabad) are quite good with treating Platinum members.
Even at the LM in Delhi - I was really treated like a VIP.

But back to the OP's question - I've indeed had mediocre upgrades (anything not to at least Jr Suite is what I consider mediocre) best upgrade this year so far has been at the Four Points Sydney - to a one-bedroom suite. I don't really bother to complain as I always forget to check before checking in if they indeed are full or just some lame excuse from the hotel. However what I have appreciated is the possibility of early check-in where for me is more important to an upgrade. So far this year I've been lucky on this point so I take this as the alternative to no being upgraded.

Cheers!
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
To the OP's question: I always just ask, "What kind of room do I have?" at check-in and then, "Are any upgraded rooms available?" if they've only given me the base type. Rarely I'll add, "Even for a Platinum Premier?" if they tell me no.

I temper my expectations by sizing up how likely a meaningful upgrade is.
  • Limited-service properties often have very few genuinely upgraded rooms, so I don't expect much at those.
  • Properties at or near 100% occupancy are less likely to give an elite upgrade. More likely someone else has paid for that room.
  • Staying at full-service business oriented hotels during the week generally means lots of other elites are there, too-- so there's more competition for elite upgrades
  • Upgrades on shorter stays are always easier than on longer stays.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I got two upgrades to a suite this year, both by using my SNAs.
Otherwise, I get the room I book, and if I get a crappy room, nobody cares.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by pvn
thoughts and prayers heading your way in this difficult time
Thank you (for the sarcasm). I guess the Marriott board is turning into the Delta board.

-RM
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Overall my upgrade rate to suites is about 40%. To be fair many of my stays are at more basic hotels (Fairfield Inn, Court Yard) will fewer suites or all of the suite are already booked for the night. So really it depends on the hotel brand and how busy they are. The full service hotel I tend to have better luck (except for Marriott brand). I have also have noticed better upgrade rates at legacy Starwood brands AND being given the upgrade without having to ask. If I have time I like to read the hotel reviews to know what to expect.

I've always be felt uncertain when pressing for a suite upgrade. When I see a suite that is bookable in the app I would think it is available but I have been told more than once by the front desk rep that a suite was not in fact available. Not sure if they are a) lying to save suite for last min. booking b) don't know what they are doing c) there is an error in the system and the app is not displaying the correct availability (considering all of the IT problem not that hard to believe).

I had a stay at an AC where I used the online checkin from the app. When I got to the hotel I found that I had been given a non-suite room but I was showing an available suite from the app. I asked if one was available for upgrade and he said yes but I had already been assigned a room during online checkin. I pressed if there was any way he could change it and after asking the manager if the back office he agreed to do it. In this case it seem like using the online checkin hurt my chance of getting a suite upgrade (luckily I asked). He ended up having to manually change the room type and override the price to when I originally booked.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Life’s too short to spend it bickering with hotel receptionists, and I don’t want to be the guy asking every single night “is this the room I paid for, or did you put me in something better?”. I’ve seen a number or really rude and aggressive Platinums trying to push better treatment for themselves over others on the basis that they’re more “in the face” of the front desk, and that’s not the person that I would want to be.

My first 8 stays since the merger were all wash outs with me consistently in the worst room in every hotel, but since then (~10 stays) i’ve consistently been upgraded somehow. Usually not suites, but more or less on par with SPG day’s (i’ve largely only visited former Starwood properties).
JBord likes this.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Dec 21, 2018 at 2:02 am
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:04 am

Is this what they mean when they say “the Platinum Challenge is available again. ?” Lol
EuropeanPete and samosa like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
It may be cheesey, but there is a property that I am upgraded at 95% of the time, the remaining 5% missed is always from a particular FDC. On a recent stay, I checked in, told no upgrade available despite being able to try to book 3 suites for the same stay. I decided to call the fd and make an inquiry while I was still on the lobby level, fdc answering says yes, we can accommodate you for 3 suite rooms, as I walk back to the fd while still on the phone with her. The GM and I have a relationship prior to this and he was not happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.