Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Property in San Francisco that doesn't charge to receive and hold packages

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:40 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Accor Plus Silver

I need to receive a few packages to my hotel before my stay, does anybody know any Starwood/marriott property that doesn't charge for this?

I've been checking the website of almost all San Francisco properties and there is no information regarding this. And most hotels don't publish an email…
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lautaro
I need to receive a few packages to my hotel before my stay, does anybody know any Starwood/marriott property that doesn't charge for this?

I've been checking the website of almost all San Francisco properties and there is no information regarding this. And most hotels don't publish an email…
the StR maybe? NY has never charged me for shopping.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
I’m pretty sure st Regis does have a policy BUT I got a package delivered there earlier this year (StR SFO) and wasn’t charged. In my experience, with the exception of convention hotels, ive routinely gotten a package delivered and I don’t think I’ve ever been charged though these have been single small UPS type express boxes or envelopes. I’m sure if I had a bunch of prime deliveries or large items it would have been a different story. I hate extra fees but I don’t think most hotels see this as a revenue source but instead a deterrent to keep folks from getting too much delivered as this could easily become a full time job for a single hotel employee. Apartments/Condos are designing properties differently now than even five years ago to specifically try and better manage deliveries.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by lautaro
A novel idea....have you thought about maybe going old school and CALLING the hotels you would be most interested in to inquire about a charge? Most larger hotels do charge the charge...at least based on my experiences.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by christianj
A novel idea....have you thought about maybe going old school and CALLING the hotels you would be most interested in to inquire about a charge? Most larger hotels do charge the charge...at least based on my experiences.
Someone living in Argentina, as the OP apparently does, might prefer emailing to calling. Although the costs in this case of a misunderstanding are modest, some of us prefer having written evidence in case there is a difference of opinion about what was agreed upon.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP is based in Argentina, so calling might be expensive.
rny321 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I did this research myself last year and (pre-merger so I didn't check any Marriott properties) found that the only property that didn't charge anything was the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf. I had a few packages sent there.

The Westin SFO states there is a charge, but it was not enforced when I received a couple of Amazon packages there. Le Meridien on the other hand did indeed charge me the fee.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by christianj
A novel idea....have you thought about maybe going old school and CALLING the hotels you would be most interested in to inquire about a charge?
Or about learning new stuffs - ask the senders to hold the package at a designated location (like Post Office, UPS Store or Station, FedEx Office/Station)?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The advantage of calling is that one often gets a better answer, e.g. "we reserve the right to impose a fee, but it's just 1-2 small items, we typically don't." No smart employee at a property answers an email that way.

On the costs side, Skype or any VOIP service is your friend.

These charges have become more common. They serve two purposes, particularly at properties which outsource their business center and internal package handling. The charge pays for the service cost, including a real tracking system and second, at convention hotels, people were using the hotel delivery system to circumvent drayage charges at the convention facility.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Over the last 4-5 years, I’ve had packages delivered to Park Central, LeMeridien, Airport Westin and 4Points Oakland without any charges. In general most properties has a package handling fee somewhere in policies, but will waive it if you have status and don’t overdo it. Remember to address the packages to “GUEST <Name> <Date>” and provide the full hotel name/address.

Amazon lockers Post Office pickup and similar delivery options work great if you can pick up after a few days, the problem with locker type delivery stations is that they only hold your packages up to one week, but if you need to pick up from Amazon, there is a Amazon Pickup facility in Berkeley, that will hold your packages for longer. I’ve ordered Black Friday deals from Amazon delivered to the Berkeley facility, that I picked up in January without any problems :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.